N

Hanna are great, if you need info on them it should be easy enough to find.
But of the top of my head I dunno what scale they measure, I'd have to check.
I didn't make the chart but it is weird they didn't include Hanna!

I'm sure i will share more bits and pieces, as will mossy when certain subjects arise! :smiley1:
Yeah im cool dude, I bought/buy direct...Hanna are on the chart, just not that one....it must just be a new model dude....but thanks for the intrest and help....Top Man...:smiley1:

1 week since last update.

I have deliberately left it 7 days since "Schwazzing" the girls, they were defoliated @ week 3 of flower.
Disclaimer:- Schwazzing is a "High Stress Technique - HST" it should only be attempted by experienced growers, just a heads up, I'd hate for anyone to knacker their grow by trying a technique they aren't ready to try. ;)
As mentioned it is a high stress technique, which done correctly can gain high rewards.

A week ago all large fan/shade leaves, except the ones at the end of each growing tip, were removed.
The girls looked almost naked and they would have endured a day of shock, starting to recover and putting on new growth.
The nutrients have been fed at 1.2 EC PH6.0 and temp 26C in the cab, I'm growing in coco "Drain to Waste". 20%-30% run off
The girls have done really well and put on an amazing amount of growth and no longer look half naked.
Light is still reaching the bottom of the cab but obviously not as brightly since the new growth.
Citrus Noir was always going to be the big girl of the cab, there is also a Rainbow Stone which is larger than the other two Rainbow Stone.
These two girls will be the last to be harvested due to their superior size, I want to get as much weight out of those two as I can.
I also want those two plants to have fully cloudy Trichomes for a good knock out hit,
The other two smaller Rainbow Stones will be the first cropped and will be cropped a week apart, then the bigger Rainbow Stone a week later and Citrus Noir a week after that.

So to the pictures.....

DSCN5353A.jpg
DSCN5354A.jpg
DSCN5355A.jpg
DSCN5356A.jpg

The Biggest Girl In The Room - Citrus Noir
DSCN5357A.jpg
DSCN5358A.jpg
DSCN5359A.jpg
DSCN5360A.jpg
DSCN5361A.jpg
DSCN5362A.jpg
DSCN5364A.jpg
DSCN5365A.jpg
DSCN5366A.jpg
DSCN5368A.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN5370A.jpg
    DSCN5370A.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 42
Hey AFN buddies

here is the latest installment of my journal and only 1 day since the last update

For all those that have been following my journal over the past couple of days, you already know there has been a big defoliation pending.
It has just got too jungly in there, i keep thinking i'll see a tiger any moment.
Well today was the day the girls got plucked and plucked like a spring chicken.
Furthermore is wasn't just a "defoliation" but an "extreme defoliation", otherwise known as "Schwazzing".

"Schwazzing" is a term made up by a Colorado weed growing company called "Three Lights" who on average have 7000 plants on the go at any one time and produce half a ton of dry weed a month.
I will show you a couple of videos of a a commercial "schwazzing" grow, which has been filmed in timelapse.
I will also post an excerpt from a grow guide site which also explain what "Schwazzing" is apart from being "Extreme Defoliation".

Extreme Defoliation: Schwazzing
Widely in use by certain industrial grow operation schwazzing is the process of removing nearly every fan leaf that grow on a plant at the beginning of the flowering stage, leaving only the top of every budsite intact. This method also involves some kind of lollypopping since every side branch is pretty much removed as well. Just leave the first 2 to 3 nodes from every branch intact.

Timelapse video of schwazzing in an industrial grow setup. These operation have a lot more light power per square meter than a common home grow. The lights can penetrate much deeper! Schwazzing a plant makes sense here.

33986726_210851483064411_477093707498127360_n.jpg

Chocolope that got a lot of nodes removed, leaving up only the top of the plants, sortly before flowering.
OI000013.jpg

The same plant in flowering: Branches full of buds!
Additional notes
I would not recommend schwazzing for every strain out there. There are alot of cannabis varieties that are able to put on serious weight on the side branches where you would harm more than you do good if you remove too much. Branchy indica type plants are very much content with selective defoliation while some other plants like to be cut more heavily. I suggest you.

OI000256.jpg

Lemon Zkittle that got exposed to defoliation: You can see through the branching to the other side of the pot.
OI000257.jpg

A lot of Budsites are directly visible from the top view, since the light now got a free way down there.
OI000276.jpg

Areas that won't get direct light will be cut most.
Defoliation is a pretty harmless tech, since a plant will develop way more fan leafs than needed to survive. A grow tent is also an environment where the plant is enclosed and save enough so that it can deal with this harm without having to fight pests or difficult weather patterns while at it.

Copied & pasted from - http://homegrow-pro.com/defoliation-make-way-for-the-light/ If you want to read the whole artical on "Defoliation & Schwazzing" click the link.

OK that's the process in action and a couple of descriptions of what "Schwazzing is"!

So here are the pics of my grow post "Schwazzing", remember "Fortune favours the brave"! The following pictures may be shocking "Viewer Discretion Advised"!!ROFL

View attachment 1060696 View attachment 1060697 View attachment 1060698 View attachment 1060699 View attachment 1060700 View attachment 1060701 View attachment 1060702 View attachment 1060703 View attachment 1060704 View attachment 1060705 View attachment 1060706 View attachment 1060707 View attachment 1060708 View attachment 1060709 View attachment 1060710

There is a whole lot more light getting to those lower bud sites now.
One of the ideas behind "Schwazzing" is that because Cannabis is a "Wind Pollinated" plant, it only puts bud production in to areas where Light and Wind can get to the bud sites. The plant is now opened right up and meaning wind and light can reach every part of the plant, The bud sites will now put on more flower and also lots of new leaves. It may be quite possible before crop time another defoliation will be needed but we wait and see!
For further info on "Schwazzing" just google "Schwazzing" and don't forget to share what you find with your pals!!

Now all we have to do is see how the girls fair and how it affects the bud structure.
Stay tuned and don't touch that dial, more updates coming soon!cincin

looking ready to rock arty, thanks!

Another "Schwazzing" time lapse from "Three a Light".
This time it is from above and shows how the plants grow with their defoliation technique, a little more clearly.

Veg growth up to 30 seconds in the time lapse video, just before going in to flower.
Then first defoliation takes place.All Fan leaves apart those at the ends of the branches are defoliated, if they shade lover bud sites. Exterior fan leaves which don't shade any bud sites can be left on.
Plants are in flowering stage and then get second defoliation at 38 seconds in the time lapse, which is the 3rd week of flower,
Rest of the vid is the remainder of flowering period, until crop!

love vid, got me pumped

love vid, got me pumped
Cheers @trailanimal
I will be compiling info on this technique and making a thread.
As i've mentioned it is a technique for seasoned growers, who have it dialed in.
Definitely not one for new growers, I keep mentioning this, so as to cover my back.
I'd hate to see a new grower knacker their grow, following what I do.
I know you'd be fine though but as mentioned, it would be good to present all the details for others to read.
My girls have more than adequately put on new growth and I happy so far with the "extreme defoliation".

Cheers bud!:cheers:
I'm loving your thread too, It is great to follow your outdoor/greenhouse grow , through the summer months.:headbang:
I shut my cab down over summer, so I can go and play in the sun and not have to rush back to feed the girls etc.
I also like to avoid summer temps, last year towards the end of the Summer I started a grow, only to be hit with a late summer heatwave, I'm not doing that again!:nono:

Cheers @trailanimal
I will be compiling info on this technique and making a thread.
As i've mentioned it is a technique for seasoned growers, who have it dialed in.
Definitely not one for new growers, I keep mentioning this, so as to cover my back.
I'd hate to see a new grower knacker their grow, following what I do.
I know you'd be fine though but as mentioned, it would be good to present all the details for others to read.
My girls have more than adequately put on new growth and I happy so far with the "extreme defoliation".
I defol a little more slowly, got soo manny stresses, I try to go slow with everything, except
hunting and removing tiny spots of rot.
Healer's mantra......first do no harm......, apply to self first, then to everything around me. I've caused more pain to myself and my plants by being fast to "react", not going slow enough to pay attention, and "act". An ongoing process.

Last edited:
Back