Poisonous plastics

Tavosvo

Welcome to the CannaZone
Reaction score
Bit of back story, I'm doing dwc grow and just switched to RO. I went and bought a 5 gallon water jug from Walmart and have been using that. When I realized I'd need another jug to do top offs I remembered that I had one I used to use for rising off after surfing. So I found it, washed out good with bleach, rinsed and filled at the store. Didn't really think about it too much.

Couple days go by and I gotta use some of the water in the old jug. Open it up and figured I just give it a sniff to check for idk bleach maybe. Nope no bleach smell but FAK sure smells like plastic. Not new fresh kine, but kinda old, leaching chemicals into water kine.

This gets me thinking about whether or not I should use this water. Did some research about BPAs and phthalates. This shit aint no joke. Bisphenol-a is a environmental oestrogen, basically it is a chemical that mimics hormones. Supposedly affects reproductive organs. Phthalates are plastic softners; ever notice how old/reused water bottles become brittle? The phthalates leach into the water, and we drink that shit.

I'm already trying to phase plastics out of my life. Plastic bags and non biodegradables will quickly make our planet much less hospitable for humans. Now thinking that plastic bottles are bad for my nutsacks, I wonder about that smelly plastic bottle and what I'm feeding my ladyweed.

Now i have no idea whether or not BPAs can be absorbed by roots, deposited in bud tissues, and obviously smoked :toke:, but it sure makes me think twice about that old water jug.

Ill even go as far as wonder what we use as pots for our plants. I can't imagine a plastic pot sitting in the sun for a even just a few months being better than a ceramic pot.

Ill be doing more research in the coming few days and ill try to add anything else I learn that seems pertinent. If anyone has any thoughts please share!

Not sure if this is the right thread for this but I figured people willing to go a bit deeper might peruse this section. Mods please feel free to move.

Can't believe theres no reply's

Its certainly got me thinkin though...

as you say its used as a 'softner' im guess they use 'hardener' for buckets :D

Dont use the water, and ALWAYS USE BPA FREE plastics in ur garden as well as for personal DRINKING my dude!!!!!!!!!

P.S. great thread my guy! this shit is a MUST KNOW for anybody that cares about the well being of themselves as well as others and of course plants!

Reactions: Nan
Can't believe theres no reply's

Its certainly got me thinkin though...

as you say its used as a 'softner' im guess they use 'hardener' for buckets :D

Right?!? Does no one care?!?

Dont use the water, and ALWAYS USE BPA FREE plastics in ur garden as well as for personal DRINKING my dude!!!!!!!!!

P.S. great thread my guy! this shit is a MUST KNOW for anybody that cares about the well being of themselves as well as others and of course plants!

I agree man I tossed that shit out. Considering a personal ban on plastics. The more I know the worse it gets haha

knowledge is a very scary thing now a days! Plastic is more or less poison if it does have BPA's. best thing that is plastic for holding H2O would be a 5gal. water jug; you know the 1's that you see in offices and stores and such. Those jugs are usually BPA free, they also will indicate on them that they are free of such toxins; i feel that they use these indications as a selling point! Lets face it though, if you actually care about your self as well as the enviroment; you will in fact care if the plastics that you use for consumption have these LABELS....

What about plastic whips and parts on vaporizers? Even if they're thermoplastics, designed to operate stable at vape temps... I'll be honest its a concern.

Last edited:
I agree man I tossed that shit out. Considering a personal ban on plastics. The more I know the worse it gets haha
same here... but this leaves me in a tuff situation...
what the hell do i replace all that plastic with that isnt going to cost me a frikin fortune!?

the further I go in my research... the more and more I lean to natural materials... though they can be difficult to source... :smokebuds:

I suppose at least in a pot... you're draining / flushing... in a jug... you're containing with the concentration ever-climbing until use... :smokebuds:

its sad what we're doing to our own environment isn't it?

sticking this thread

good shit JM. rubber bladders work pretty great for containing H2o. yes this is a totally sad situation to live in the world that we reside in to today! i think that the govt's use BPA's as a POPULATION control mechanism. just :2cents:

Back