New Grower Possible nutrient burn

Reaction score
Hey folks,

First grow here, wanted to see if there are some problems with my setup that may be causing some slight nutrient burn using Nature's Living Soil. I also started introducing Megacrop v3 today which may actually exacerbate the issue (at least I hope not).

Going to keep an eye on things and will likely post more pictures over the coming days. I have another strain (Blue Dream) that's a few days behind and not showing anything of concern yet.

Problem: Leaf tips on new growth turning white

Medium/grow method: Fox Farms Coco Loco mixed with Nature's Living Soil Autoflower concentrate (bottom 1/3 pot). Autopots XL 6.6 Gal, air dome in each pot running 24/7, air stones in the reservoir

Feed: and supplements used: Nature's Living Soil Autoflower concentrate. Flying Skull Z7 in the reservoir. Introduced Megacrop v3 in the reservoir today (4 grams/gallon). Planning on top feeding with Recharge on next tray fill

water source: tap water - moderately hard 7.2PH, lowered to 5.8 in reservoir. Tray Readings EC 1950, PPM 972, PH 6.0

Strain/age: FastBuds Strawberry Banana Autoflower, 23 days from sprout

light used: SF2000, 20/4 cycle, 27 inches from the canopy at 100%

Climate: 75-81F, 60-65RH

Strawberry Banana Day 23:
Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 4.51.32 PM.png

Blue Dream Auto Day 19:
Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 5.51.26 PM.png

I'm no expert but it looks like they are well overfed. Can't tell for sure without proper whitebalanced and calibrated images but there may be too much magnesium and sulphur in your feed, relatively speaking.

I'm no expert but it looks like they are well overfed. Can't tell for sure without proper whitebalanced and calibrated images but there may be too much magnesium and sulphur in your feed, relatively speaking.
I agree. 600 PPM of MC with all of that other stuff is too much.

Grrrr i dont like those burnt tips i have em too but Nice set up man i bet you will get some serious ganj ....So with coco do you feed all the time? Im new to the whole coco loco :vibe:thing .

Thanks for the insights, everyone!

I ended up emptying out the trays and reservoir and replaced with PH'd water (223 PPM). Looking at my notes, the PPM last week with just water in the trays was around 690. I'll take a PPM reading again tomorrow once things balance out and see if it's similar.

@JD COUGHMAN Thanks..and I hope so with all that I've sunk into this setup..haha! I'm using Autopot's which is a bottom-feeding system with just tap water and some Z7 in the reservoir. Having Nature's Living Soil mixed with the Coco Loco has been good so far however, I'm starting to think having the combination could be on the hotter side now. I'm going to shelf the Mega Crop for my next grow using just a coco and perlite mix.

Here are some updated photos that were taken today. The Strawberry Banana certainly has seen plenty of growth over the past 10 days, I ended up doing defoliation due to the bushy structure and performed LST to try to get better light penetration into the canopy.

For the aforementioned post on the nutrient burn...I'm starting to wonder if the coloration is due to light stress. I've been running the SF-2000 about 27' from the canopy top at 100% and have since set it to 80% to see what effect it will have on the new growth.

The Blue Dream seems to be doing great...so who knows. On the BD, I did minor defoliation on the lower part of the plant and removed some of the smaller bud sites.

I also have a Mempisto Forum Stomper going in a 3-gallon pot for the heck of it..think I may do a full Meph run in the auto pots next :thumbsup: Cheers

Tent:
DSC_2576.JPG

FastBuds Strawberry Banana Day 32:

View attachment 1357528

DSC_2573.JPG

FastBuds Blue Dream o' Matic Day 27:
DSC_2574.JPG

Mephisto Forum Stomper Day 20:
DSC_2575.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_2572.JPG
    DSC_2572.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 17
If you’re using coco you need to feed everyday!

So made a rookie mistake and thought the Strawberry Banana FAST was from FastBuds but it’s actually a photoperiod :cuss:.

Going to let the Forum Stomper reach flower and then flip to 12/12. The SB is starting to get big so hopefully it will be a good producer when she starts flowering.

Noticed you're running Coco Loco; I've ran into some issues recently with it and figured I'd share some proper info on it. This is an *amended* SOIL don't water it like coco. It has all the food your plant will need for the first 30 days at least. The nature's living soil concentrate will let you go even further without supplementing nutrients so if you're running autos, you may not even have to feed them. You will also have to flush it before you switch to flower. The manufacturer recommends flushing with twice the size of the pot with pH-balanced filtered water. Afterwards, they recommend flushing every two weeks in flower to push the excess salt build-up out of the coco part of the soil. If you start to see deficiencies and you're flushing as per manufacturer's recommendations, then I would start supplementing nutrients.

Personally, after knowing all of this, I'll be switching mediums in the next run. I can't be too mad though, I've pulled some amazing yields from it.

Noticed you're running Coco Loco; I've ran into some issues recently with it and figured I'd share some proper info on it. This is an *amended* SOIL don't water it like coco. It has all the food your plant will need for the first 30 days at least. The nature's living soil concentrate will let you go even further without supplementing nutrients so if you're running autos, you may not even have to feed them. You will also have to flush it before you switch to flower. The manufacturer recommends flushing with twice the size of the pot with pH-balanced filtered water. Afterwards, they recommend flushing every two weeks in flower to push the excess salt build-up out of the coco part of the soil. If you start to see deficiencies and you're flushing as per manufacturer's recommendations, then I would start supplementing nutrients.

Personally, after knowing all of this, I'll be switching mediums in the next run. I can't be too mad though, I've pulled some amazing yields from it.

Thanks for the tips! I've been using Megacrop (3.75g / Gal) and Sweet Candy (1g / Gal) along with some Calmag Plus (2 ml / Gal) all in the Autopot reservoir since week 4 with some pretty decent results. I didn't start the calmag until last week when I started to notice brown spots on some of the top leaves. I believe the spots were due to some cal deficiency but still not 100% confident...we shall see if the calmag addition helped or not.

The Blue Dream has gotten massive and is taking quite a bit of space in the 3x3. I want to introduce Bud Explosion, I have the Strawberry Banana photoperiod (bottom left) on the same reservoir, but not sure if that would screw anything up this early.

FastBuds Blue Dream o' Matic Day 46:
DSC_2603.JPG

DSC_2607.JPG

DSC_2612.JPG

DSC_2613.JPG

Back