Outdoor Smokey's 2020 Grow - Summer- Autumn Winter

Usually people say that the dolomite lime is slow and long lasting.
I personally felt that mine benefited fairly quickly once I used as a top dressing, and it has continued.
The Thai was really losing leaves fast before.
Now, she's still losing, but no where near as quickly, more like a regular rate nearly end of flower.

I thought that if you put some dolomite in water, even though it doesn't "dissolve", it must have some effect.
But I checked ppm levels, and there was very little difference straight away.
I think it took maybe ... a week to see effects, IIRC.

Do you even know why your pH levels are that acidic / low in the first place?
Something you are adding? or the media itself?
Thanks SM, maybe i might get some dolomite, if has worked pretty quickly with Thai Gold, i think i will try to with the next watering, over these other products least its natural.

I have no clue the soil itself though i get from Searles is ph balanced between 5.3 and 6.5. So i think it must be a bit on the low side, maybe some nutrient i added or the cold weather also , not sure how that would effect the ph though. I think to be on the safe side in the future to top a bit of dolomite with the mix (first ph the media itself)

Mate, here's an exerpt from a photo grow I did last year where I had an acidic medium and how I dealt with it.
I know you're in soil, and I was in Coco, but the principle should be the same....

Pretty obvious to see the Coco is too acidic and the Girls have locked out.

Now the next problem..... my equipment.

I have a Bluelab Guardian, a Bluelab EC Truncheon and also their pH pen....all about 6 years old, except the pH pen which is 3 yrs old.

As I said in post 1 of this thread, the Guardian's pH pen is out of action.... I haven't pulled my finger out and sent the whole unit back to Bluelab in NZ.

The reason why.... I still use the EC bit. My Truncheon gives a lower reading, so I only use that for mixing.... an expensive mixing rod!

The pH pen, well I had to calibrate it on Wednesday... it wasn't far off, so I think the pH's are reliable.

Then I remembered, I have some Bluelab 2.77EC conductivity solution..... yep the Guardian is spot on and the Truncheon is EC 2.3. As far as I'm aware, it's uncalibrateable.

Back to the tests...

Later on Wednesday, at 7.00pm I did a plain water flush... it was pH 5.9 straight out of the bucket, so I didn't bother fiddling around with pH down to get it to pH 5.8.
Water temp 27°C Tent temp 29°C RH 74%

I gave them 5 Litres each, standing by with the big 50ml syringe to catch the first 250ml and an aquavac for the rest of the run off.

Here's the run off details..... not good......
  • Des Frans pH 4.8, EC 1.5, 27°C
  • Gorilla pH 4.4, EC 1.5, 28°C
  • PAK2 pH 4.6, EC 1.8, 27°C
  • PAK1 pH 4.5, EC 2.2, 28°C
gallery_80973_7327_21330.gif

As you can see, at my current pH nothing is being absorbed.

I decided to fix this by re-alkanising the medium.... it has to be a gradual process without stressing the plants out. The idea is to increase the pH of my feed by 0.5 every day until the run off becomes pH 6.3.

So on Thursday, I made up a strong Sodium Bicarbonate solution. I got a litre of my usual EC 0 base rainwater, heated it up and dissolved as much Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking soda) as possible to make a supersaturated 'Molar' Bicarb solution.
I managed to get the pH of the Molar solution up to pH 7.9. I asked the eminent Scientists at Google, and they reckon the pH of a freshly mixed Molar Bicarb solution should be around pH 8.3, so I wouldn't be able to get it much higher than that.

I also made up 40L of an EC 0.8 pH 5.8 feed, got it to pH 6.3 (using the Molar solution as a pH up).

I gave them 6 Litres each, and here's the run off details...
  • Des Fran pH 5.0 , EC 1.2, 29°C
  • Gorilla pH 4.9, EC 1.2, 29°C.
  • PAK2 pH 5.1, EC 1.7, 30°C
  • PAK1 pH 4.7, EC 1.9, 30°C
So it looks like the pH is rising, and the EC is dropping. Woo Hoo!

Visually, there was no change, obviously. This was the first pH adjustment, so there's a long way to go yet, but at least they are heading in the right direction!

Last night I gave them the same EC 0.8 feed as the night before, with a bit more of the Bicarb solution to make it pH 6.8.

Here's the run off data....
  • Des Frans pH 5.6, EC 1.2 32°C
  • Gorilla pH 4.9, EC 1.2, 32°C
  • PAK2 pH 5.1, EC 1.2, 32°C
  • PAK1 pH 5.3, EC 1.5, 32°C
The PAKs continue to look very healthy and green, but the DF and Gorilla look much the same, if anything the DF looks worse.

Still, the data for the DF looks the most promising, the pH is rising the quickest, and the EC's are dropping for all of them.

FUCK that was some rain the other day! The (usually dry) creek was a raging torrent that day, but its amazing how quickly everything went back to normal!

Heya Smokey, mates:smokeout:........sorry for the absence. what week of flowering are we on now Smokey?.....looks like a lack of n to me too bud, I think a low ph should show other deficiencys before N?....usually with the low winter temps I get a bit of p and ca deficiency show up but can't see any of that here :shrug:......even in bloom the girls need N mate and I'm not sure gogo juice has enough on its own . Usually I feed as much N as they can take until stretch stops then cut the n levels in half(roughly) for the remainder of bloom until the last 2-3 weeks of flowering, then I cut all n out and keep plenty of p/k going in:tonic:.......I've never had any issues with searles soils getting outa whack unless I let them get too dry but they do seem to run out of n pretty quickly if not fed regularly :shrug:......what's the ph of your feeds going in mate?.

dont think tecnics 1210's have ever changed,same goes for the yamaha kx-580 se tape deck,as its been the same price for the last 25 years.
marantz ken ishiwata amp.arcam,denon,technics,yamaha,heybrook and sony things :coffee: :smoking:
a picture first
smokey.PNG

outdoor plants allways look nicer to me,and they allways a shade lighter than indoor.maybe the oldest leaves and lowest are a smidge too yellow,dont think a lil more N would do any harm.(4th opinion pinch of salt ofcourse)
that piss of rain did the pots get flushed a lil ?
guessing yer wheelie bins the same size as mine....big girls :smoking: :thumbsup:nice big girls:thumbsup:
pots with loads of holes.great for cool place livers,helps peeps with a heavy watering hand.
plants in dry soil temporaralalry sends the ph of fa whack.plant mega yellows out like N def,but way more amd way quicker.often leading to plants just shedding leaves.as someone who regulary forgets to water/feed plants i know all about it.
its the biggest girl thats more yellow and the ph is a lil more off from other plants ?
the biggest plant youd think would want the biggest pot/most amout of water.
plants that purple from the centre of the leaf towards the tip is genetic.purpling from the leaf tip towards the centre was temperature related ( a dif of more than 10c day night temps) some strains more prone than others.not really a good or a bad thing.
my thinkings on this.................at the same time as being ramblings of an eejit are....
all things being equal and all that,the chances of just 1 of 4 plants PH going outa whack (by natural causes)are slim.its the drying out thats made things a bit woowoo.(if thats partly to blame)
i only have 1 window of 5 hours per 24 hours to water/feed/open the cupboard door.
what is your watering/feed frequency ? when we water/feed fully grown plants,we cant give em any more as it just runs out the arse.
can you put them in a bigger pot/bucket/tray ? not a transplant,just something you might be ble to have em suck up a bit extra.or if you passing by lash another feed in,without having to staand and water em ? may also sheld the soil/pot from bright sun/temps evaporation and such.

smoke 2.PNG

:coffee:yep remeber watching the kog video years ago:coffee:

and if thats to sad

:pighug:

Heya Smokey, mates:smokeout:........sorry for the absence. what week of flowering are we on now Smokey?.....looks like a lack of n to me too bud, I think a low ph should show other deficiencys before N?....usually with the low winter temps I get a bit of p and ca deficiency show up but can't see any of that here :shrug:......even in bloom the girls need N mate and I'm not sure gogo juice has enough on its own . Usually I feed as much N as they can take until stretch stops then cut the n levels in half(roughly) for the remainder of bloom until the last 2-3 weeks of flowering, then I cut all n out and keep plenty of p/k going in:tonic:.......I've never had any issues with searles soils getting outa whack unless I let them get too dry but they do seem to run out of n pretty quickly if not fed regularly :shrug:......what's the ph of your feeds going in mate?.

Hiya GB :pass: Thanks mate for the reply and help. I am at Week 5 2 days of flowering. The girls looked a bit better this morning after a bit of N (1/4 powerfeed synthetic ) I made a mistake cutting too soon where i should have used the gogo and pk combo later in the flowering period. That sounds a good plan mate with the N being cut the last 2/3 weeks. The searles got dry and the water would sit like a ducks back, now i added a few days back a wetting agent, now its all good again, but have to do it slowly the watering to make sure it doest piss out the bottom too much. No idea mate with the feeds, as the meter is water only, unless mean mean i take the reading once i feed the girls?

dont think tecnics 1210's have ever changed,same goes for the yamaha kx-580 se tape deck,as its been the same price for the last 25 years.
marantz ken ishiwata amp.arcam,denon,technics,yamaha,heybrook and sony things :coffee: :smoking:
a picture first
View attachment 1218385
outdoor plants allways look nicer to me,and they allways a shade lighter than indoor.maybe the oldest leaves and lowest are a smidge too yellow,dont think a lil more N would do any harm.(4th opinion pinch of salt ofcourse)
that piss of rain did the pots get flushed a lil ?
guessing yer wheelie bins the same size as mine....big girls :smoking: :thumbsup:nice big girls:thumbsup:
pots with loads of holes.great for cool place livers,helps peeps with a heavy watering hand.
plants in dry soil temporaralalry sends the ph of fa whack.plant mega yellows out like N def,but way more amd way quicker.often leading to plants just shedding leaves.as someone who regulary forgets to water/feed plants i know all about it.
its the biggest girl thats more yellow and the ph is a lil more off from other plants ?
the biggest plant youd think would want the biggest pot/most amout of water.
plants that purple from the centre of the leaf towards the tip is genetic.purpling from the leaf tip towards the centre was temperature related ( a dif of more than 10c day night temps) some strains more prone than others.not really a good or a bad thing.
my thinkings on this.................at the same time as being ramblings of an eejit are....
all things being equal and all that,the chances of just 1 of 4 plants PH going outa whack (by natural causes)are slim.its the drying out thats made things a bit woowoo.(if thats partly to blame)
i only have 1 window of 5 hours per 24 hours to water/feed/open the cupboard door.
what is your watering/feed frequency ? when we water/feed fully grown plants,we cant give em any more as it just runs out the arse.
can you put them in a bigger pot/bucket/tray ? not a transplant,just something you might be ble to have em suck up a bit extra.or if you passing by lash another feed in,without having to staand and water em ? may also sheld the soil/pot from bright sun/temps evaporation and such.

View attachment 1218391
:coffee:yep remeber watching the kog video years ago:coffee:

:pighug:

Hey Archie, :pass:
The Technics turntables, they never seem to age, even the new are similar. Do like my electronics. Many nice brands, liked the old Sansui also

They seemed a bit better after the 1/4 powerfeed they had. I meant the water when i watered them would piss out the bottom when the soil was drier, before i applied a wetting agent , it still runs out but i water them slowly

Thanks Archie mate, yes the girls are rather large and nice and bushy, back in the vege days, still are now i guess also :woohoo1::smokeit:1.2 meter, the larger girls, and Bubba is 80cm or so by 1meter

The bigger girl Durban is the roughest looking and she was the one i got sub 6 pH readings. Bubba is closer to the outside, and i leave the tarp up due to humidity which lowers with temperature and i have fans on low tops and one on bubba and one running air out, so i guess why she is purple, the poor girl.

You would have to monitor the temperature and humidity in your cupboard? I find in the tent outside its hard as its passive system, with fans, fans on the plants tops and one fan for bubba on very low and smaller fan full blast to blow some air out, and tarp mostly up

I feed with each water, sometimes just gogo other times a combo. I find i have to water every 2 -3 days, but longer when they were stuck in the tent when the rain was on. GTG mentioned the bucket, i dunked them in the bucket but did a bad thing by putting the run off back throug the plant.
For the cold i sit them on cardboard and use my yard clothes around the pot side facing out, so they can still get some air.

I loved the video of the bunny :rofl::nono: It sure was fast and loved the road

Mate, here's an exerpt from a photo grow I did last year where I had an acidic medium and how I dealt with it.
I know you're in soil, and I was in Coco, but the principle should be the same....

FUCK that was some rain the other day! The (usually dry) creek was a raging torrent that day, but its amazing how quickly everything went back to normal!
Hey TeeTee, yeah it was crazy mate the creek came up and the grass was all water, and it quickly went away back to normal, we expecting mushrooms popping up in the yard but funny enough none this time.

Thanks Tee, yes would be the same principle i would think, so good old barcab of soda has another use. For soil i could try dolomite, The hydro store has 10$ ph up, not sure if for soil or not,

I can't remember why you shouldn't use pH up.... too much N P or K... I think its the N... either way, thats why they say use Bicarb so you don;t end up causing nutrient toxicity...

I can't understand why my short term memory's fucked... anyway must run, need to skin up!

Hiya GB :pass: Thanks mate for the reply and help. I am at Week 5 2 days of flowering. The girls looked a bit better this morning after a bit of N (1/4 powerfeed synthetic ) I made a mistake cutting too soon where i should have used the gogo and pk combo later in the flowering period. That sounds a good plan mate with the N being cut the last 2/3 weeks. The searles got dry and the water would sit like a ducks back, now i added a few days back a wetting agent, now its all good again, but have to do it slowly the watering to make sure it doest piss out the bottom too much. No idea mate with the feeds, as the meter is water only, unless mean mean i take the reading once i feed the girls?

The Technics turntables, they never seem to age, even the new are similar. Do like my electronics. Many nice brands, liked the old Sansui also

They seemed a bit better after the 1/4 powerfeed they had. I meant the water when i watered them would piss out the bottom when the soil was drier, before i applied a wetting agent , it still runs out but i water them slowly

Thanks Archie mate, yes the girls are rather large and nice and bushy, back in the vege days, still are now i guess also :woohoo1::smokeit:1.2 meter, the larger girls, and Bubba is 80cm or so by 1meter

The bigger girl Durban is the roughest looking and she was the one i got sub 6 pH readings. Bubba is closer to the outside, and i leave the tarp up due to humidity which lowers with temperature and i have fans on low tops and one on bubba and one running air out, so i guess why she is purple, the poor girl.

You would have to monitor the temperature and humidity in your cupboard? I find in the tent outside its hard as its passive system, with fans, fans on the plants tops and one fan for bubba on very low and smaller fan full blast to blow some air out, and tarp mostly up

I feed with each water, sometimes just gogo other times a combo. I find i have to water every 2 -3 days, but longer when they were stuck in the tent when the rain was on. GTG mentioned the bucket, i dunked them in the bucket but did a bad thing by putting the run off back throug the plant.
For the cold i sit them on cardboard and use my yard clothes around the pot side facing out, so they can still get some air.

yamaha for the win! :yay: :headbang: jus sayin & carry on plz...:smoking: ppp

No worries about the help mate, :pass:let's see if we can get the nutes dialled in for the final couple of weeks :thumbsup:.....the ph up you were looking at would be for adjusting the feeds going in mate, since you don't have a meter for that lets not worry about it, if you havnt changed water sources it should be ok...?...if it's not fked why fix it and all that :nono:......the next couple of feeds I'd keep the power feed going at half strength bud, the yellowing won't go away but we might be able to stop it from getting any worse:thumbsup:...I'd also be adding some canna p/k 13/14 to the mix at three quarter strength and a bit of liquid kelp if you have em handy...big ladies like them in pots are going to go through the feed fairly quickly I think mate:crisps:....some saucers might be handy for watering if it's just pissing out the bottom mate? Don't let them sit in a saucer full of nutes all day though, just long enough to ensure the pot is fully saturated. We don't want root rot next but you want to avoid dryouts as much as possible :thumbsup:.

Hey there Y'all:bighug::worship::cheers:
Just a hillbilly in the city.

WOW!!! Whole lot of people using a whole lot of things out there that....I don't use it all....:shrug:

My whole theory is.

K. I. S. S.

" Keep. it. simple. stupid."

I know y'all read my story's and all of my journals...

I don't use any of that shit....you guys are using....Zero.....000

Simply excellent compost....DIY soil..... And BAM...!!#!#
You got excellent weed growing every time and it stays that way.
I don't do shit but water mainly...and make microbe rich tea's..... to use as a foliar spray and water to the root Zone.

All this pH Up PH down synthetic crap....UGH !!#@#%& :yoinks::finger:
You know what....I don't do any of that....:nono::redcard:
Just keep it Simple...
Simple things grow the best weed. :cooldance::yay::dizzy::smokeit::coco:

Using all these manufactured chemicals ain't doing you no good when it comes to you growing Smokey.......

Simple things like composted manure's, Dolomite lime, humic acid, blood meal, bone meal. kelp meal, Epsom salts, bat guano, alpaca composted manure..and more.. the list goes on and on of organic things to use.
Some of the organic things that I use only.. You know the raw eggs raw sugar fish emulsions . Remember those things are what make the microbes feed and the microbes feed the plant...:shooty::frog:

Simply Nature's Way....

I never feed the plant...:nono: I only feed the microbes:hump:always....
I always feed the microbes in the soil... And the microbes on the plant on top of the leaf....Yup!! there's micro colonies on their...too.
That's why my plant's are always green to the end.....

Because I'm not feeding the plant I'm feeding the microbes and the plant takes what it wants from the microbes and what they poop out. Plant's never gets a deficiency and they never gets over fed or under fed....

K. I. S. S.

Well I got a lot of harvesting to do right now..sorry I haven't been on here as much lately to help you out. But a farmer's work is never done and I got to get going....

Y'all take care. From this here hillbilly in the city.

:smokeout:

Back