Outdoor Soil less Growing Outdoors

Muddy

Proud deplorable!
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
OG Kush, Deep Cheese, Key Lime
Is anyone growing outdoors using a soil less mix? Even though I've got ready access to composted manure, rotted wood chips, sand, etc. I've yet to get a good mix for autos. I've been using Pro-Mix indoors with very good success so am considering trying it outside. What's the consensus on soil less outdoors?

not really sure but its a great question... something ive wanted to try for years but never had the resources for... i'm considering a perlite "hempy" test run outdoors this year just as an experiment

Indoors I'm using Pro-Mix BX with Micorise at a ratio of 2/3 BX and 1/3 worm castings and some additional perlite. Outdoors HP looks like a better option as it hold moisture better. To do everything I'm planning I'm going to need about 225 gallons of Pro-Mix and 70 gallons of worm castings, plus the perlite. That comes out to about four 3.8 cu. ft. bales of Pro-Mix, about $110, plus $120 for the worm castings and $20 for the perlite. Not a huge outlay and probably worth it if the plants perform better.

oh yeah, that would be ideal for tobaccy and canna!

Its the cheapest I can find like 3cu feet for 10 bucks. Its like store brand too.

Soil less mix well dry out faster than native soil. Is this a guerilla grow or will you be able to water on a regular basis?

These plants are close enough that I can tend them regularly and water as needed. I've done a little more research into the Pro-Mix products and turns out I had it backwards. BX has a slightly higher water holding capacity than HP. In previous years I've used my own mix which was also sphagnum peat based. Generally speaking I was watering every 3 days when the plants were young and every 2 days once they grew and filled the pots with roots. I can live with that. I'll also be partially burying the pots and mulching with straw and dried grass clipping to help retain moisture.

Back