TRIMMING BRANCHES? Defoliation. When Should vs. Should not.

Jamesgrowsbuds

New User
Reaction score
I have some autos that I was hoping to get some help with, regarding trimming branches (still OK vs no longer OK), and defoliating, during about what I think is around mid flower maybe.

I have 2 OG Kush indicas autos, 2 jack herer autos, and one newly started bubblegum auto in gallon. Using ILGM fert weekly dosing kit. And increased watering now that they are in full on flowering.

The plant in the back right is one of the Jack's. About 2 weeks ago I took off the bottom nodes branches that were about 3 in off the ground and reaching far out to the left and right, so I cut them, but that may have been towards the end of the vegetative stage, or sort of pre-flower stage Maybe. I thought that specific plant was going to get the least amount of sun but it seems to be the tallest of all 4 plants now. So maybe it worked. just curious if I should cut the others, or if that ship has sailed. Trying to avoid popcorn lower buds, but I haven't picked off and lower buds or snipped any branches (other than the one I mentioned).

Thinking about cutting the smaller lower branches on the smaller of the 2 OGs, and seeing if it outgrows the other OG.
Thoughts and prayers are encouraged lol! Thanks a

I have plenty of pictures. And appreciate any opinions anyone is willing to give! Thankyou!

Attachments

• 20230727_150745.jpg
    20230727_150745.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 25
  • 20230727_151139.jpg
    20230727_151139.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
  • 20230727_151122.jpg
    20230727_151122.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 22
  • 20230727_151108.jpg
    20230727_151108.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • 20230727_151039.jpg
    20230727_151039.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 20
  • 20230727_151016.jpg
    20230727_151016.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 22
  • 20230718_100952.jpg
    20230718_100952.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 24
I have some autos that I was hoping to get some help with, regarding trimming branches (still OK vs no longer OK), and defoliating, during about what I think is around mid flower maybe.

I have 2 OG Kush indicas autos, 2 jack herer autos, and one newly started bubblegum auto in gallon. Using ILGM fert weekly dosing kit. And increased watering now that they are in full on flowering.

The plant in the back right is one of the Jack's. About 2 weeks ago I took off the bottom nodes branches that were about 3 in off the ground and reaching far out to the left and right, so I cut them, but that may have been towards the end of the vegetative stage, or sort of pre-flower stage Maybe. I thought that specific plant was going to get the least amount of sun but it seems to be the tallest of all 4 plants now. So maybe it worked. just curious if I should cut the others, or if that ship has sailed. Trying to avoid popcorn lower buds, but I haven't picked off and lower buds or snipped any branches (other than the one I mentioned).

Thinking about cutting the smaller lower branches on the smaller of the 2 OGs, and seeing if it outgrows the other OG.

I have plenty of pictures. And appreciate any opinions anyone is willing to give! Thankyou!

@Jamesgrowsbuds

Hey pal welcome to the club. AFN the home of autoflowers. I left you a link down introduce yourself to the crowd. There's a good lot of them on there today it's Friday. Come on up there and introduce yourself. There's definitely somebody up there that will help you out with your auto flowers for sure. I'd help you out but I'm more of a photo-grower love my photos. But there's some awesome autoflower growers on this forum that are more than happy to help you. Come on up meet the crowds :toke: :smokeout: :headbang:

I had a really good experience when I smoked a Jack Herer photo I grew last year. Mind-blowing, actually. I'm interested in how the Jack Herer auto stacks up.

They look healthy so they should have no problem with a haircut. Autos can take a pretty good amount of abuse and shake it off quickly as long as they're healthy when you do it :thumbsup:

Rule of thumb is to always prune the big fan leaves (the ones that are the size of your hand) that are covering big bud sites. Always better to use pruners for a good clean cut so the plant heals faster, and to defoliate one’s that are truly need so you don’t need to go crazy with it. It’ll help with airflow and site growth. I believe the number is to defoliate under 20% with autos. Then wait over a week for your next session if needed.

We are talking about pruning bud sites so this early/mid flower stage is perfect. If you look at the nodes as they go down the branches you will see the pistils get lesser on the lower sites. Choose a threshold and remove up to there. Typically I remove the bottom 3-4 bud sites on each branch minimum. A natural feeling for this will become normal for you as you gain experience so I think there won’t be a hard set of rules to follow but trial and error learning. Upon harvest inspect each branch as a whole and count down until the bids get fluffier. Those fluffy buds could have been trimmed off and the uppers would have gotten the diverted energy making them denser/bigger is the idea. Use your harvest to teach your next grow, and this changes with each strain and pheno within the strain so getting to know your crop is key. To make it more confusing since you are outdoors light penetration is less of a concern but keeping budsites away from the ground is a good general guideline. Plants look great :pass:
I took until the 6th node on this lower branch and probably should have taken more
B075C528-295B-436E-A54C-FC71E522D439.jpeg

This is a branch on the outside and the bottom most node I left is a bit stretchy, if that was a branch more inside the body of the plant I would have removed more for sure

Last edited:
We are talking about pruning bud sites so this early/mid flower stage is perfect. If you look at the nodes as they go down the branches you will see the pistils get lesser on the lower sites. Choose a threshold and remove up to there. Typically I remove the bottom 3-4 bud sites on each branch minimum. A natural feeling for this will become normal for you as you gain experience so I think there won’t be a hard set of rules to follow but trial and error learning. Upon harvest inspect each branch as a whole and count down until the bids get fluffier. Those fluffy buds could have been trimmed off and the uppers would have gotten the diverted energy making them denser/bigger is the idea. Use your harvest to teach your next grow, and this changes with each strain and pheno within the strain so getting to know your crop is key. To make it more confusing since you are outdoors light penetration is less of a concern but keeping budsites away from the ground is a good general guideline. Plants look great :pass:
I took until the 6th node on this lower branch and probably should have taken more
View attachment 1619726
This is a branch on the outside and the bottom most node I left is a bit stretchy, if that was a branch more inside the body of the plant I would have removed more for sure
Oh, so he’s referring to lollipopping and getting rid of the lower branches that get no light, gotcha

So I just wanted to give a quick update. Man, that was a fun Pruning session. The resins and oils coming Out of all the Cut Sites, dam does that' smell good .

So I don't think I went overboard but then again. ? . I did commit to taking off some greenery, I'm hoping I can get a few Responses regarding whether or not I just Ruined my Plants. I really wanted to trial and error and do specific trimming on one of The 2 plants from each pair of strands. Like trim 1 of the 2 jacks and 1 of the 2 OG kush. And see which plant out performs the other while trying to maintain as mahy variables consistent as possible.

I trimmed inward growing leaves, and low leaves and immature buds and immature branches with really low Potential looking buds.

In the photos, those little nubby pods, they look like little new calyxs with stigma (forming a pistil). Are these the buds origin? And if so, is nipping these main stalk, lower and mid plant advised to be picked off, to redistribute resources to the rest of tthe plant?

I'm a noob be kind😆✌️ and thankyou!

Attachments

• 20230801_152304.jpg
    20230801_152304.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 14
  • 20230801_153350.jpg
    20230801_153350.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 13
  • 20230801_153412.jpg
    20230801_153412.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 16
  • 20230801_152602.jpg