What causes autoflowers to flower?

The breeding of autoflowers is a fairly new thing, so there is a lack of science related to them. Everything is still supposition at this point. We can make some very limited theories about them based of papers such as the one SoH posted. The mechanism on Ruderalis may or may not function in the same manner, I suspect it is similar, but we won't know until someone does a real science study on autoflowering cannabis. Remember, it was not that long ago, autoflower were laughed at and considered a waste of time!
I would think there's plenty of research on autoflowering by now (no, I'm not saying I know anything because I don't). I remember reading somewhere that 30% of plants on the planet are autos, though.

Another aspect of our Autos is the fact that they are NOT true Ruderalis but rather hybrids, so any research on 100% Ruderalis cannabis should be merely a starting point when dealing with the autos we grow and worship, lol

The breeding of autoflowers is a fairly new thing, so there is a lack of science related to them. Everything is still supposition at this point. We can make some very limited theories about them based of papers such as the one SoH posted. The mechanism on Ruderalis may or may not function in the same manner, I suspect it is similar, but we won't know until someone does a real science study on autoflowering cannabis. Remember, it was not that long ago, autoflower were laughed at and considered a waste of time!
If you look up the scientific paper work from ncbi.nlm.nih.gov you will see they have done tests on Russia rudy and lowryder and modern crosses and they work in the exact same way. The only difference they find is in protein production levels. The genetics responsible are exactly the same.

If you look up the scientific paper work from ncbi.nlm.nih.gov you will see they have done tests on Russia rudy and lowryder and modern crosses and they work in the exact same way. The only difference they find is in protein production levels. The genetics responsible are exactly the same.

I loooooooooooove that site! Do you happen to have any of the links saved to those tests?

I think your partially right. It's a combination of genetics and environment. I don't think it has anything to do with the tap root however, I believe it is the total volume of soil that has some affect. I find that in 20+ gallon containers flower tends to initiate around 34-45 days. Same in raised beds, I see flowering begin around day 35. So my theory is that once the root mass to soil volume is reaches a certain ratio, ( in containers ) flower is triggered.
I would love to see some science applied to autoflowers to get to the truth of this one way or another!

This is interesting and a partial answer may possibly be found in my new eazyplug mini grows. This is a one litre volume but with *perfect* root conditions, the only difference between a grow in a small pyramid and a large pyramid, is the total volume but the same quality of environment. Meaning in the small pot the roots are never stressed due to lack of space, they just have a limited size. I am currently doing a grow in the large pyramid so I won't be able to compare that for a few months, but I will be growing the same strain in a small one as well and if the small one flowers faster then we might have an empirical answer soon.

So far comparing the same strain in the mini pyramid vs the large hydro, the mini flowers significantly fast.

It's my first grow so i can't tell for sure, but it seems that smaller pots are showing pistils faster. The biggest plant +Speed Auto showed pistils at week 5 in a 15 liter pot, one smaller +Speed Auto in a 4 liter pot showed pistils at week 3. The 3rd small plant Auto Psychedelic also showed pistils at week 3. So i guess it starts flowering faster by 2 weeks in small pots. But i don't think 2 weeks are worth of having much smaller yield.
281490808_711931806718705_432738065595786676_n.jpg

It's my first grow so i can't tell for sure, but it seems that smaller pots are showing pistils faster. The biggest plant +Speed Auto showed pistils at week 5 in a 15 liter pot, one smaller +Speed Auto in a 4 liter pot showed pistils at week 3. The 3rd small plant Auto Psychedelic also showed pistils at week 3. So i guess it starts flowering faster by 2 weeks in small pots. But i don't think 2 weeks are worth of having much smaller yield.
View attachment 1463548
I'd like to know how it goes with your +speed auto grow. I bought some seeds a year ago and the one I tried to sprout didn't pop. I haven't opened up a spot for them since but am still interested in running a super-fast strain like that.

Last edited:
I'd like to know how it goes with your +speed auto grow. I bought some seeds a year ago and the one I tried to sprout didn't pop. I haven't opened up a spot for them since but am still interested in running a super-fast strain like that.
i remember checking out this strain before i grew when i was researching and learning about growing (which i did for years before i started growing, I thought I knew everything when i got into my first grow doing dwc hydro. Boy was I wrong!!! I didnt have a harvest until my third grow!!! Lmao looking back) I was interested in the strain and smoke report also. yeah it would be great to harvest super fast but hows the smoke i wonder with these super fast autos?

Back