What causes autoflowers to flower?

Reaction score
Hey all. New member here. Ive grown a handful of autos, no photos yet. I tend to get obsessed when I get into something new, and growing cannabis has been no different. Something I've been trying to understand is what causes the ruderalis plant to flower. From what I have learned so far, it's a mystery! I find that interesting and exciting and I don't understand why more people aren't trying to figure this out. I recently came across this video of a grower who claims that it's the rocky soil of the ruderalis plants natural habitat that causes autoflowers to flower. So the idea being that once the roots hit a rock it sends the signal to flower. He doesn't go into detail, but he claims that's how he's able to achieve 3+ foot, 100+ day autos. He just says you have to transplant at the right time, doing several transplants all before the plant gets to flower. If true, this has huge implications on growing autoflowers. If you're reading this and can debunk this idea, or share your experience or knowledge on this topic, I would appreciate it greatly!

From what I have learned so far, it's a mystery!
Ummmmm . . . no. :nono:

It's genetics. Time - not external stimuli or conditions (generally). I had a couple of journal articles in my file on this - let me see what I can dig up.

Last edited:
:pop:

I've suspected auto's may flower earlier when they bottom out in a pot or like the video suggesting when they hit "rocky soil". @St. Tom grows a lot of solo cup autoflower grows and maybe he could shed some insight as to if his solo cup grows seem to flower faster. This could defiantly help confirm if that theory is correct. I've only done a couple solo cup grows myself but I have not noticed it triggering flowering when the root hits the bottom of the solo cup.
I suspect temps might be a factor. When I compare same genetics to other grow journals I believe mine veg a little longer. I grow in a cool basement with conditions between 68-73.

Last edited:
What causes "flowering" or initiation of bud formation is complex, involving secretion of growth hormones/auxins controlled by genetics. Much like puberty-related hormones in humans, auxins secreted in plants signal cells/tissues to produce and do certain things.

I'm going to chime in and say that I firmly believe that the bottoming out theory of the taproot triggers flower - to a great extent. I have taken seeds from the same pack and grown in a 5 gallon vs a 7 vs a 10 gallon and the 5 gallon pot flowers and finishes much sooner. Just one example.

It will have to do with genetics too. You're not going to take an OG Lowryder and get a monster.

I don't understand the constant transplanting part though. I mean, you can just pop a seed into a 5,7, 10 gallon and save a lot of hassle.

I'm going to chime in and say that I firmly believe that the bottoming out theory of the taproot triggers flower - to a great extent. I have taken seeds from the same pack and grown in a 5 gallon vs a 7 vs a 10 gallon and the 5 gallon pot flowers and finishes much sooner. Just one example.

It will have to do with genetics too. You're not going to take an OG Lowryder and get a monster.

I don't understand the constant transplanting part though. I mean, you can just pop a seed into a 5,7, 10 gallon and save a lot of hassle.
Interesting feedback here. About to run my first batch of autos (I've grown photos around 18 years). Will have to pick up some larger airpots!

Interesting feedback here. About to run my first batch of autos (I've grown photos around 18 years). Will have to pick up some larger airpots!
I have an indoor grow thread going in that section of the forum where I’m testing an Orange Sherbet in a 10 gallon pot. Interesting to see it unfold.

This makes sense and I'm guessing yield is higher for the bigger pots also.

My only idea is that constant transplanting is effectively the same as starting off with a bigger pot, but it adds more time in the veg phase. Longer grow could allow for a bigger plant. I think for this idea to have any chance of working you must have perfect transplants with minimal stunting.

What causes "flowering" or initiation of bud formation is complex, involving secretion of growth hormones/auxins controlled by genetics. Much like puberty-related hormones in humans, auxins secreted in plants signal cells/tissues to produce and do certain things.
I get that the hormones are controlled by genetics, but I think what this idea is looking at is a way to manipulate the release of the hormones. We know environmental factors have an effect on hormones in animals, so why couldn't it in plants?

I get that the hormones are controlled by genetics, but I think what this idea is looking at is a way to manipulate the release of the hormones. We know environmental factors have an effect on hormones in animals, so why couldn't it in plants?
This is a different question than the original I think. Yes, environmental factors/stimuli can affect hormone metabolism and thus flower set timing to a limited extent.

Last edited:
Back