Indoor what type of heater for a tent in a garage over the winter

Reaction score
Got an 8x8 tent with 1200 watts of HPS now but going to COB's sometime over the winter.

The garage is insulated but can be cool. And from what I can tell now 1200 watts of HPS might keep the tent warm enough depending on how much I exhaust CFM wise. Even then I might need a heater in there. And once I go to LED, I'll need a heater for sure.

Lots of different types of heater types out there. Just curious what the best types are for growing in a tent over winter.

Several years ago I took an old 2 drawer file cabinet, dumped everything inside, pushed it up to one of the lower screened windows, put in a radiator heater and let the inline fan suck in the heat making everything nice and toasty in the tent. It has worked extremely well. I feel that radiator heat is the best heat for a grow tent.

so don't put the heater right in the tent? I can look at heating the garage more and my inline input fan will pull in warmer air. Or I can try and just heat right outside the tent input vent like you did.

But wouldn't it be easier to just put a heater right in the tent? I have space even for one of those standup radiant models that circulates oil.

I would just use hps in the winter. Any money you save by going to led would be spent on using a heater anyway. Use led the rest of the time. If your set on led in winter then try a heat lamp like for reptiles. I got a 50w heat bulb off eBay for $7-$8 and light at home depot for under 10 should work good in that tent. If you get real winter run a 24/0 light schedule with the heater. Shouldn't have much problem staying warm. Running that now with 2 autocobs and platinum led p150 no exhaust running yet and it 82° in my 2x4x5 tent. Don't think I will need my heater this year.

@Mcdee
That's a good idea, that heat light. Never crossed my mind. Sounds affordable and easy to do.

I'll be selling my HPS lights. I don't want the hassle of handling all that exhaust venting and connecting cool tubes and power cords for ballast twice a year. Plus I might run in to cold days after I pull them out and then I'd be looking for a heat source anyway. Too many wild temp swings in between seasons in my area.

I have 2 autocobs coming and 2 more about to be ordered so will have 4 cobs in an 8x8 tent. And just want to grow 4 plants at a time. Hoping it's going to be easy to control temps in the winter and summer.

@Mcdee
That's a good idea, that heat light. Never crossed my mind. Sounds affordable and easy to do.

I'll be selling my HPS lights. I don't want the hassle of handling all that exhaust venting and connecting cool tubes and power cords for ballast twice a year. Plus I might run in to cold days after I pull them out and then I'd be looking for a heat source anyway. Too many wild temp swings in between seasons in my area.

I have 2 autocobs coming and 2 more about to be ordered so will have 4 cobs in an 8x8 tent. And just want to grow 4 plants at a time. Hoping it's going to be easy to control temps in the winter and summer.
Ya, don't get me wrong I use led. But if I was in my garage in winter I would use the hps for winter and go 24 heat would be good inside call it a day. Doing 1st autocob grow so learning about these but growth has been good today is day 10 so we will see lol.

Saving filter, it's connected to the fan so not running right now. So see what temps are then.

If your hydro just use aquarium heaters.
Your tent is way too big for four plants. Go 3x3 or 4x4.
You don't have enough light for 8x8. Buy at least 8 more cobs.
12 more for full room coverage with no walking space.
4 cobs in a 4x4 will work just fine, you'll have a good yield with the minimum light but adding 4 more will get you the light you need.

@Be4u

I was under the impression that it does not matter how big my tent is and I don't need to fill it all up with lights. I thought I could 4 plants in the middle, hang an autocob above each one, and lighting coverage would be fine. Are you saying that is not a correct assumption and I need to reduce the tent size to a 4x4 to have an effective grow? Or increase the cobs? Neither option doable at this point, but if this is super critical important then i would like at this.

Back