1st grow in coco, help

bearhair

Welcome to the CannaZone
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Purple kush
Hey guys and gals. I'm currently working on my 3rd grow, 1st in coco and I have 1 girl yellowing and other not. Both germed and sprouted same date. That isn't the issue. Issue is the 1 that's yellowing. Growing in ff cultivation nation 70 -30 coco perlite mix with hydroton on the bottom of the spring pots in autopots. And a couple hand fulls of hydroton mixed in. Using gh flora series nutrients, micro, grow, bloom, calimagic hydroguard, h202, nectar and cool bloom. Was using tap water until I noticed the yellowing and purchased a small r.o. filter. Tap water tested at .9 ec. Is now 0.0..f.n yay....anyway using the nutes at 1/2 strength. Reduced grow to 1/4 and increased bloom to 3/4 When flower started.. any recommendations would be appreciated..@olderfart, and @St. Tom.. checked ph in the trays and found 6.7. Drained it twice and refilled with 5.5... I may have to flush,, ah.. been keeping the res at 5.6.. but it seems to sit too long in the tray.. ph rises..

Attachments

• 20221009_192506.jpg
    20221009_192506.jpg
    983.8 KB · Views: 58
Hey guys and gals. I'm currently working on my 3rd grow, 1st in coco and I have 1 girl yellowing and other not. Both germed and sprouted same date. That isn't the issue. Issue is the 1 that's yellowing. Growing in ff cultivation nation 70 -30 coco perlite mix with hydroton on the bottom of the spring pots in autopots. And a couple hand fulls of hydroton mixed in. Using gh flora series nutrients, micro, grow, bloom, calimagic hydroguard, h202, nectar and cool bloom. Was using tap water until I noticed the yellowing and purchased a small r.o. filter. Tap water tested at .9 ec. Is now 0.0..f.n yay....anyway using the nutes at 1/2 strength. Reduced grow to 1/4 and increased bloom to 3/4 When flower started.. any recommendations would be appreciated..@olderfart, and @St. Tom.. checked ph in the trays and found 6.7. Drained it twice and refilled with 5.5... I may have to flush,, ah.. been keeping the res at 5.6.. but it seems to sit too long in the tray.. ph rises..
@ olderfart

I think one of the problems you may be having with it sitting in the tray is the hydroton on the bottom of the pots. How deep or thick is the layer? It may not allow the water to wick correctly and creates a hydrologic barrier.

But I am not an auto-pot user. I just read the threads a lot.

There is probably a way to make this work, but coco does not work very well as a SIP medium. Coco works best as a drain to waste medium, using it any other way will almost always lead to problems. This is mainly because of the way coco uses calmag especially while the root system is developing rapidly. This causes the ph and nutrient balance to get out of whack pretty quickly if the pots are not regularly fertigated.

The best thing you could do IMO is to pull them off of the autopot system and finish them as a drain to waste grow. The ph is going up because you are probably starting to get all sorts of buildup and other imbalances in the coco. If you water them to runoff and check that EC I bet it will be high. I would fertigate with a pretty mild nutrient solution, around 1.0 EC should be fine.

good luck!

Hydroton is about an inch deep and roots are down in it.. I don't think it's a wicking issue but thanks for the rep..

There is probably a way to make this work, but coco does not work very well as a SIP medium. Coco works best as a drain to waste medium, using it any other way will almost always lead to problems. This is mainly because of the way coco uses calmag especially while the root system is developing rapidly. This causes the ph and nutrient balance to get out of whack pretty quickly if the pots are not regularly fertigated.

The best thing you could do IMO is to pull them off of the autopot system and finish them as a drain to waste grow. The ph is going up because you are probably starting to get all sorts of buildup and other imbalances in the coco. If you water them to runoff and check that EC I bet it will be high. I would fertigate with a pretty mild nutrient solution, around 1.0 EC should be fine.

good luck!
:yeahthat:

First of all, your problem plant is not too bad yet, I have taken decent harvest from plants that looked a lot worse at this stage.

The problem looks like either nute buildup or ph, I can't tell which from the photo. PH of 6.7 in your tray suggests that pH is at least part if not the entire issue, but I'm too new at this mischief to be sure. In any case, I think that since you are in coco, I would flush that plant well with the pH ~5.8 bloom nute mix that you want to continue with, and keep flushing until the runoff is pretty much the same as the input. This should get the medium back where you want it. This will take a lot of nute mix. I have used entire laundry tubs of it to flush a few 3 gallon pots. You could consider a pre-emptive flush of the second plant as it is likely headed in the same direction, but slower.

The question is what next, and I have to say that if you are going to be around for the rest of the grow, I would just ditch the autopot fertigation, and go with top watering to 10-20% runoff. I have given up on autopots for salt nutes with cannabis. Others here make it work, most of the time, but I have had nute issues with every single salt grow on this system - I have always had a decent harvest, but invariably from plants less healthy than I would like. Autopots work well with soil, but IMO, are not the best solution with salt nutes whatever the medium. Just my 2 cents mind you, others will differ.

If you stick with autopot irrigation, I would flush both plants weekly to try to prevent the medium from getting out of whack again, and you need to keep the EC lower than you would with top irrigation - no higher than ~900EC in my estimation, maybe lower. If you see tips of fans starting to lighten in color, EC is too high. Your problem plant has, given the leaf tips, seen EC out of bounds already, but that could be from buildup in the medium, so it does not inform whether your mix so far is too high.

I should point out that I am not specifically familiar with the nute mix that you are using, so I do not know if there is something potentially wrong there. Sometimes the extra's have more to do with marketing than need, and I suspect that on occasion they can throw the nute balance out enough to cause issues.

I'll wrap this up by mentioning that if you want to use coco, Cocoforcannabis.com is worth studying at some length. The owners of the site know what they are doing and have documented their experience well. The site has an excellent description of DIY automated top watering system which I am now using after testing it in my last solo grow.

Sorry for the late reply, I was not ignoring you, your alerts just got buried among others somehow. :biggrin: :goodluck: :pighug:

Last edited:
What is SIP? I've read a bunch about people growing with coco in auto pots and they seem to love it. Such as @St. Tom and @Olderfart .. don't want to give up on the auto pots allready..

Thanks Olderfart.. I did some studying on coco for cannabis and they were using the general hydro nutes as well, but top feeding. What nutes do you use with your autopots..

Back