2nd grow! Advice on soil?

Reaction score
Hey y’all, I’m getting ready to start my second grow. Running a combination of Ethos photos/auto’s & probably some Mephisto’s.

I want to do some testing to see what gets me the best results. For soil, should I use CoM Stonington Blend or Roots Organics? Or should I get both & test the combination of the soil with the amends. Like a test A & B?

As far as dry amends I plan on using Gaia 444/248 & CoM plant food/bud & bloom. As well as Gaia Worm castings.

Gaia for the photos & CoM for the autos (about a week before the soil nutes run out & of course periodically through veg/flowering)

Open to suggestions! Thanks.

Hey y’all, I’m getting ready to start my second grow. Running a combination of Ethos photos/auto’s & probably some Mephisto’s.

I want to do some testing to see what gets me the best results. For soil, should I use CoM Stonington Blend or Roots Organics? Or should I get both & test the combination of the soil with the amends. Like a test A & B?

As far as dry amends I plan on using Gaia 444/248 & CoM plant food/bud & bloom. As well as Gaia Worm castings.

Gaia for the photos & CoM for the autos (about a week before the soil nutes run out & of course periodically through veg/flowering)

Open to suggestions! Thanks.
Idk about the soils other than lots of people use CoM but I was told not to run autos and photos together in the same tent. Not sure if thats what you're doing but I did it and my auto probably could have done better. It got funky mid flower but thats cuz of poor feeding too

Idk about the soils other than lots of people use CoM but I was told not to run autos and photos together in the same tent. Not sure if thats what you're doing but I did it and my auto probably could have done better. It got funky mid flower but thats cuz of poor feeding too

Thanks for the advice! As far as running them in the same tent, I’ll more than likely be moving the photos outside to the greenhouse after last frost hits. Out of curiosity, was it because of the lighting change they recommended that? I plan on starting of 18/6. Of course if I decide to keep the photos inside, it’ll eventually be 12/12 to flip them into flower.

Thanks for the advice! As far as running them in the same tent, I’ll more than likely be moving the photos outside to the greenhouse after last frost hits. Out of curiosity, was it because of the lighting change they recommended that? I plan on starting of 18/6. Of course if I decide to keep the photos inside, it’ll eventually be 12/12 to flip them into flower.
I think so, plus it really may seem like the same thing but they arent. Autos do respond better to a shorter dark period from what Ive seen. I still got decent bud though. Just small, probably a little over 3.5 oz off the 1 plant. Plus they get less food so if you're running drip systems or hydro you'd need a separate res.

I also had to chop it early as my photos over grew the space with the auto in there. It would probably just be getting cut down now and I chopped it over a month ago. Thats my fault as I should have only vegged my photos for 30 days instead of 40. That 10 days made a huge difference.

I think so, plus it really may seem like the same thing but they arent. Autos do respond better to a shorter dark period from what Ive seen. I still got decent bud though. Just small, probably a little over 3.5 oz off the 1 plant. Plus they get less food so if you're running drip systems or hydro you'd need a separate res.

I also had to chop it early as my photos over grew the space with the auto in there. It would probably just be getting cut down now and I chopped it over a month ago. Thats my fault as I should have only vegged my photos for 30 days instead of 40. That 10 days made a huge difference.

That’s good to know, I’ll keep that in mind.

CoM is good stuff but keep your eyes open for fungus gnats. I've gotten them every time I've used it.

Now that’s a turn off. I’ve read about gnats arriving inside the bags. Is that with indoor grows? I have neem oil from last grow, but if possible I don’t want to use it. My goal is to keep my environment as stable as possible. What do you use now to grow with?

Ive heard thats common with living soils though. It happens to me with ready to use fox farm...pretty sure its just something that happens

Ok now that’s a different perspective. I’ve read it usually comes from overwatering. I’ll be using the AC Infinity self watering bottoms once the roots fill out in the pot. From what I’ve researched, that would help with the gnats being that it waters from the bottom. The top soil is usually dry until it’s time use top dressings.

Now that’s a turn off. I’ve read about gnats arriving inside the bags. Is that with indoor grows? I have neem oil from last grow, but if possible I don’t want to use it. My goal is to keep my environment as stable as possible. What do you use now to grow with?
From what I understand neem oil is more for foliage but I could be wrong. I used diatomaceous earth. You just gotta sprinkle a bit over the top of a medium, you can be generous. But you should do it after watering. Its ultra-fine glass powder that cuts the shit out of insects from the inside, as its so fine it can get between the segments of their bodys. You gotta apply it multiple times but itll kill everything after a couple weeks everything insect related

Back