Live Stoners AFN Audiophiles

I’m an audiofool. I used to be all vintage until my 70s Marantz integrated amp bit the dust for the last time - couldn’t source the part I needed. So I decided to go modern. Haven’t regretted it.

My 2 channel system is a VPI Scout, Parasound Halo power amp with a P5 preamp. A pair of Ohm Walsh speakers and a Rythmik sub.

I used to be addicted to speakers. At one point I had around 15 pairs. But when I got my Ohms, the search ended.

I’m an audiofool. I used to be all vintage until my 70s Marantz integrated amp bit the dust for the last time - couldn’t source the part I needed. So I decided to go modern. Haven’t regretted it.

My 2 channel system is a VPI Scout, Parasound Halo power amp with a P5 preamp. A pair of Ohm Walsh speakers and a Rythmik sub.

I used to be addicted to speakers. At one point I had around 15 pairs. But when I got my Ohms, the search ended.

I'm just starting my speaker addiction. I'm restraining my self at the moment, my set up being mainly Home Cinema so it's good to have a matching LCR. My Quads are doing me proud... but I would love to hear the Focals I keep looking at in my price range.

That studio space at thd bottom of the garden can't come soon enough then I can let my addiction loose.

I plan on moving in the next few years and I am going to purposely look for a place with a good size room for my speaker addiction. I want big speakers on dollies so I can trade them out. I am building something now

[/QUO
The walsh are supposed to be a deal changer and the rithmyk are great as well.

If you guys ever get a chance to hear a pair of Ohm Walsh, I highly recommend checking them out. My biggest issue with most speakers is that I could always tell the sound was coming from a “box”. The Walsh is omnidirectional so the sweet spot is huge. Hand made in Brooklyn and they’re surprisingly inexpensive. Especially when you know how expensive speakers can be.

81CE8F25-35FF-48B1-AA9F-9FEEAA5249FB.jpeg

63D9F849-05A5-4B44-AACB-115F69314880.jpeg

Some of my LPs and my record cleaning machine. These are the LPs that I listen to the most so easily accessible to me. I was at a point awhile back where I would compulsively buy records that I knew I would never listen to. Plus I have even more at my parent's place in Texas. I need to go through a lot of them that aren't in this shelf and figure out what to do with them.

02212AB2-CC9A-4392-B35F-13A37263F19F.jpeg

Last edited:
I plan on moving in the next few years and I am going to purposely look for a place with a good size room for my speaker addiction. I want big speakers on dollies so I can trade them out. I am building something now

I had a dedicated, small room at the last place that I really dug. Acoustic treatments, bass traps, etc. But when we moved to this place, I decided to not have a dedicated room. Sold the bass traps, and sort of combined my 2 channel with my HT system. I had a pair of Wharfedale dentons as the mains in my HT setup. Sold those once we got settled and got an amp switcher, so the HT receiver and my 2 channel system share the Ohms. HT receiver sub out runs into the Parasound in HT bypass mode. I still have a Wharfedale center and surrounds, in the HT portion. But it sounds great after you run Audyssey. It works on the HT side for now. The 2 channel setup has always been great. I'll eventually replace the Wharf center and surrounds with Ohms. But I'm good for now.

The reason that I had so many speakers was because I just couldn't find THE pair for 2 channel. Once the Ohms came, I sold them off.

I'm just starting my speaker addiction. I'm restraining my self at the moment, my set up being mainly Home Cinema so it's good to have a matching LCR. My Quads are doing me proud... but I would love to hear the Focals I keep looking at in my price range.

That studio space at thd bottom of the garden can't come soon enough then I can let my addiction loose.

I've never had Quads. I did have a love affair with Mission speakers, and some of the nicer Wharfedales too. I think the same company owns Quad and Mission now? I could be wrong. I do see Quads available here, but the Missions are very rare. I had quite a few pairs of them, some were "newer", at that time. When I sold them, I sold like 5-6 pair to one guy.

I've always been a fan of British speakers, especially ones with that BBC dip. I was actually born in Oxford, but americanized a longgggg time ago.

I’m going nowhere. Going to finish my days here in this house. That’s the plan anyways, been living towards that for some time now. So that leaves me the room I have. It’s fairly well set up with treatments although I need some diffusers on the back wall and absorbing on the ceiling.
Looking for speakers now, for future purchase. Need efficient ones. Only 10 watts per channel. Love to audition some K Horns! LaScalas would be a bit more realistic.

I’m going nowhere. Going to finish my days here in this house. That’s the plan anyways, been living towards that for some time now. So that leaves me the room I have. It’s fairly well set up with treatments although I need some diffusers on the back wall and absorbing on the ceiling.
Looking for speakers now, for future purchase. Need efficient ones. Only 10 watts per channel. Love to audition some K Horns! LaScalas would be a bit more realistic.
I am building some that will have an Eminance 12" woofer and a Radian 3" compression driver, bi-amped with a dbx pa2. I am figuring about 93 to 94db. I definitely could get to 100db with a 15" woofer and bigger cabinet. The new Lascala are way to much money $13000 and you really need a sub that can keep up with the speed of that horn. I have seen some mods that employ a bass bin with ports to drop it down in the 30s. I think stock is 50hz. That being said I would love to build myself a set of Lascala bass bins and have them on a dolly.

Back