Live Stoners AFN Audiophiles

Last edited:
Yeah - I enjoy vintage audio for the nostalgia and also to see how close it comes to a true non-distorted uncompressed signal. I have a restored NAD 2200 on my main system that is audibly transparent and powerful as hell. https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...00-vintage-amplifier-review.13960/post-472097
NAD 2200 Vintage Amplifier Review | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum
If you all want vintage that will blow you away, look for Sony gear with the SIT transistors. TA5650 is one. Talk about blown away. My Sony VFet only has one in a single ended configuration and these amps have many!

The audio quality of my early 90's tapes just sound bad now compared to the digital formats.
I hear that. Or don't actually!!
I will say though. I actually prefer some vinyl to the digital representations. My UHQR copy of Kind of Blue really competes and sounds better if a bit less detailed. Hard to describe but there is a better sense of the studio. The imaging is great and similar, rhythm and pace do go to digital, musicality (whatever that really is) goes to vinyl. Depth and air definitely vinyl. I don't have a super vinyl rig or anything, almost pedestrian by audiophile standards.
What surprised me was how much I like a lot of CDs! I've been all media-free for a long time so spinning records and CDs are a different experience.
One of the things I've decided about using physical media is that using a record of CD is a deliberate act of I am going to put this on an sit and listen. Where a lot of times I'll use Roon, or another digital system it's for background listening. . .

I will say though. I actually prefer some vinyl to the digital representations. My UHQR copy of Kind of Blue really competes and sounds better if a bit less detailed. Hard to describe but there is a better sense of the studio. The imaging is great and similar, rhythm and pace do go to digital, musicality (whatever that really is) goes to vinyl. Depth and air definitely vinyl. I don't have a super vinyl rig or anything, almost pedestrian by audiophile standards.
What surprised me was how much I like a lot of CDs! I've been all media-free for a long time so spinning records and CDs are a different experience.
One of the things I've decided about using physical media is that using a record of CD is a deliberate act of I am going to put this on an sit and listen. Where a lot of times I'll use Roon, or another digital system it's for background listening. . .
I like your deliberate take on CD's, you're essentially putting the intent in, then hear the music you choose. :jointman:

Where they are pressed makes huge difference in CDs as well as records. Polydor did some awesome work, especially on CDs. So even on a digiital Cd, it can be better sounding than a high-quality stream or record it just depends on the mix.

I use a focusrite recording interface thru audio Technica m40x headphones. Don't have a stereo because I broke them all playing them on 100. Alot of ppl think vinyl is better but really what happened was inflation so components got cheaper in modern stereos if you paid 200 bucks for a stereo in the 70s that's way more money they went from making them to replicate sound to being portable. Its not the digital that sucks. But your digital is only as good as your digital to analog converter and the one in your phone it a boombox sucks in comparison to a dedicated unit. Plus dynamic compression ruined music. Ppls stereos aren't as good so they want to make the quiet and loud parts so its an even loudness. On vinyl mastering they don't add as much dynamic compression that's also why is better. I'd recommend checking out the 96/24 not even for the frequency response per say but because they don't fuck with it is usually just a transfer from the analog masters. Tidal masters has them if you pay 20 bucks a month but they aren't the same because they aren't FLAC files they are a lossy version but they still sounds great. They do it for bandwidth and because they have drm so ppl can't pirate them.

Last edited:
We've got a kinda "hand me down" hi-fi if you will. Speakers from uncle-in-law, pawn shop receiver, etc. Pretty decent Denon turntable. Really really really old tape deck that doesn't have auto stop!!!

I like being able to play any format, fun to pick up at flea markets and boutiques and stuff. As to "what sounds better".... speakers sound so much damn better that headphones. Id rather listen to radio over big speakers than the highest quality stuff thru airpods.

In a way I agree but in a way I disagree. My headphones sound clearer and with the focusrite I can drive them super loud. But you don't feel it it doesn't shake the walls music is about feeling I like mixing them car stereo all the way up thru focusrite with headphones best of both worlds lol

One of my favorite things about vinyl is the feeling of: "Now we are going to listen to this."

And I put on an album in completion vs the popular "playlist" of various songs and artists bouncing around every couple of minutes. I absolutely appreciate the idea of listening to an idea in its entirety.

Neither is bad. I just like the idea of an album as a complete work at once. I know this is an entirely different discussion. However, I do love my "old" Tivoli Model CD.

One of my favorite things about vinyl is the feeling of: "Now we are going to listen to this."

And I put on an album in completion vs the popular "playlist" of various songs and artists bouncing around every couple of minutes. I absolutely appreciate the idea of listening to an idea in its entirety.

Neither is bad. I just like the idea of an album as a complete work at once. I know this is an entirely different discussion. However, I do love my "old" Tivoli Model CD.
I listen to whole albums digitally but yes its easier to skip around. I feel like you should listen to a whole album because it was put together as a presentation. The band picked those songs to go together.
You can do that with digital too. I think the main advantage of vinyl and analog is if society were to break down or FLAC and wave files are no longer playable or cds aren't in computer drives. It would be alot harder to recreate a computer and then the audio codecs then it would be to recreate a record player or reel to reel. You could find a hundred year old record and still play it. But digital is better because its the same copy 500 years later if maintained can't say that for a vinyl. The same master that they listen to in the studio can be the same one you get same file. Vinyl is cool that you can move the record yourself and the sound is coming off of it with no electricity. Its real

Last edited:
If you all want vintage that will blow you away, look for Sony gear with the SIT transistors. TA5650 is one. Talk about blown away. My Sony VFet only has one in a single ended configuration and these amps have many!

Found few of those Sony's on ebay. They have definitely held there price. Plenty of part as well. I will keep an eye on gumtree, you never know someone might not know what they have. Sexy looking amp.

Back