New Grower Autopot / Coco Indoor Grow - Dutch Passion Think Different and Seedsman Amnesia Haze

First, from what I see and I am NOT an authority on diagnosis, but have experienced this with handwatering grows and autopot grows ---the leaves look bloated as if oversatuated/overwatered. This can be a result of the roots not being well developed enough when you turned on the reservoir or overwatering just prior to turning the pots on the reservoir. The results are the roots not having enough oxygen and being choked off in the water/nutrient solution. When this occurs the plants do not take up the necessary nutrients to continue steady growth while showing signs of toxicity or deficiencies. Each plant/strain may will react differently in showing different symptoms. Also, this is called "lockout".

My suggestion is to take them out of the trays and let the medium dry out for a day or so and let the roots dry out somewhat. Wait until the leaves look perky and praying to the light, then place them back in the trays.

Thanks.. this makes sense as I have been having trouble overwatering.

My plan is to turn off the res (keep the res water but drain all the tray water out and let everything drain/dry and then just top feed with just PH 5.9 water with it lifted from the pot to drain.

A few questions
1.) Do you think I should flush fully or just lifting them from the pots would suffice?
2.) How about the Amnesia Haze and Think Different 2? They are slightly curling and I do see some minor yellow tips but it is not that dark of a green color. Think it is best to also take this out of the tray?
3.) By taking them out of the trays, can I just put them diagonally as below, would this cause any problems? See below pic, think this is a good way to drain/flush my autopots?

Lifted Pot.JPG

Amnesia Haze Burnt tips? Think I should keep this out of the tray as well? This is not as dark of a green

Yellow Leaves.JPG

Amnesia Haze this morning
IMG_2763.JPG

few questions
1.) Do you think I should flush fully or just lifting them from the pots would suffice?
I would take it in steps, i.e. lift out of pot diagonally to create better drying and watch/read the plants leaves in the next 24 to 48 hours. If you get them to pray to the light, then you could lightly handwater for another day and see if they keep praying and the leaves become less bloated. Then the next day put them back in the trays. Don't expect the leaf discolorations to return to normal, but see if the other healthy leafs don't show any signs of defiencies.
2.) How about the Amnesia Haze and Think Different 2? They are slightly curling and I do see some minor yellow tips but it is not that dark of a green color. Think it is best to also take this out odefiance. Yes, i would take all 3 out of trays.
Some people and I agree with them turn off the reservoir every 3 or 4 or 5th or 6th day and let the coco dry out for a day...then they turn on the reservoir again, hence a wet dry cycle. I will do this from time to time as I read the leaves if they look swelled or bloated.
3.) By taking them out of the trays, can I just put them diagonally as below, would this cause any problems?
Yes

See below pic, think this is a good way to drain/flush my autopots

few questions
I would take it in steps, i.e. lift out of pot diagonally to create better drying and watch/read the plants leaves in the next 24 to 48 hours. If you get them to pray to the light, then you could lightly handwater for another day and see if they keep praying and the leaves become less bloated. Then the next day put them back in the trays. Don't expect the leaf discolorations to return to normal, but see if the other healthy leafs don't show any signs of defiencies.
2.) How about the Amnesia Haze and Think Different 2? They are slightly curling and I do see some minor yellow tips but it is not that dark of a green color. Think it is best to also take this out odefiance. Yes, i would take all 3 out of trays.
Some people and I agree with them turn off the reservoir every 3 or 4 or 5th or 6th day and let the coco dry out for a day...then they turn on the reservoir again, hence a wet dry cycle. I will do this from time to time as I read the leaves if they look swelled or bloated.
3.) By taking them out of the trays, can I just put them diagonally as below, would this cause any problems?
Yes

See below pic, think this is a good way to drain/flush my autopots

Is there a pic?

Is there a pic?
Sorry no pic I was using your quote....and to be clear...no problem putting your pot diagonally on the tray to dry out and vacuum the tray out to remove nutrients solution, so when you turn them back on it will be fresh, since the nutrients in the tray may be unbalanced sine the plants were not uptaking the correct amounts of npk and micros.

Thanks... gonna leave it lifted for a day.

thoughts on defoliation to cut some of these leaves? Feel it’s really busy at the bottom but fear trimming right before flower...

thanks

Thanks... gonna leave it lifted for a day.

thoughts on defoliation to cut some of these leaves? Feel it’s really busy at the bottom but fear trimming right before flower...

thanks
If you want to be cautious and cause minimal stress, then don't. However, yes I would trim particularly any leaves that are in touch with the medium. Personally, just a few at a time, I have never had problems defoliating canna plants----they are weeds and take it well.

Thanks @idiopathic neuropathy took your advice and trimmed a little off the bottom that I felt were touching the medium.

Today it looks better but still clawing. Thoughts on letting it dry for another day or should I put just PH 5.8 water on the medium? I am assuming flushing at this point might be bad because of the salt build up on top.

Think Different Yesterday

Lifted Pot.JPG

Think Different Today (24 hours)

Lifted After.JPG

Amnesia Haze Yesterday

AH Side.JPG

Amnesia Haze Today (24 hours)

AH After.JPG

Is the top inch of coco dry?
Get your finger in there. That will tell you to wait another day if its still wet/moist.

And then to determine to wait another day.
Read the response from the leaves/stem color.

I have flushed autopots at various stages of growth, one time well into flower and never had a problem doing it. The salt build up theory i don't necessarily subscribe to. But, I always do a thorough flush,i.e. with 2 gallon pots in mind----4-6 gallons of 4 ml calmag/gal, and ph to 6.0. For cation ion exchange.

Then calmag and nutes and 6.0 ph'd with 10%runoff(calmag and npk appropriate for the stage of the grow the plant is in).

Let this go for a day or so and read the leaves.

Do recall what ppm,tds, ec you have been using in your last feeding? After the flush, and you add nutrients you want to reduce those values by a certain percentage depending what that value is.

Back