Beneficial bacteria to substrate

LandShark

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
I saw mentioned somewhere that I was reading, about adding beneficial bacteria like Azoz or Mykos to the substrate. I know it works for jazz cabbage and other vegetation but shrooms are different. Being so new to this I wasn't sure if this would work or if someone was just being a clown? Opinions please!

Some background that may help:

"Beneficial" bacteria might degrade and produce more available nutrients (good). Or bacteria might compete for nutrients and space, produce toxic by-products, disrupt pH, etc.

Azoz bacterium is used to increase nitrogen fixation/availability (presumably in soil, not in soil-less media, such as coco, and not in culture media). This does not seem relevant to growing mushrooms(??

Mykos is not bacteria. It's soil fungi meant to bind to roots and increase nutrient uptake. Fungal roots are much different, simpler, vs. plant roots. I doubt adding other likely competing fungi will make your mushrooms grow better.

[Otherwise, don't mushroom growers seek pure, non-contaminated cultures? Here wouldn't you be contaminating on purpose, and on a massive scale?]

Some background that may help:

"Beneficial" bacteria might degrade and produce more available nutrients (good). Or bacteria might compete for nutrients and space, produce toxic by-products, disrupt pH, etc.

Azoz bacterium is used to increase nitrogen fixation/availability (presumably in soil, not in soil-less media, such as coco, and not in culture media). This does not seem relevant to growing mushrooms(??

Mykos is not bacteria. It's soil fungi meant to bind to roots and increase nutrient uptake. Fungal roots are much different, simpler, vs. plant roots. I doubt adding other likely competing fungi will make your mushrooms grow better.

[Otherwise, don't mushroom growers seek pure, non-contaminated cultures? Here wouldn't you be contaminating on purpose, and on a massive scale?]
Thank you very much for your insight. You made points that in my newbness, I never thought about! That's the problem with being new to something and looking on the interweb. You don't know what to believe.

Back