Bob's Journey into Hybridisation and Genetics - For Dummies

Project Swamp Wine - Day 57
  • Hey guys :toke:

How's everything going on with your grows? Haven't had much time to visit your threads this week...busy busy busy...But I've made time today. so all be warned, because I'm coming :drunks:
    Inside the tent everything is slowing down as expected. The plants have stopped growing and are busy expanding those budsites.
    To switch things up, I'm showing the time lapse now. I've sped things up so speed = 120fps! & duration = 112 hours. Enjoy :pop:

I'm blasting these ladies with a total of four hours of UV (A & B) light and the reaction is very noticeable through the amount of trichomes the plants are producing. 😎
    1705152701944 _small.jpg

Even larger leaves are covered with these "little ball sacks of fun"...
    1705152701949 _small.jpg

The Cheese XXL #2 is expanding really nice. This is the phenotype with the one main cola... 👌
    1705152701953 _small.jpg

The pistils have shriveled up completely on this plant. Only one more thing todo, right? :hump:
    1705152701958 _small.jpg

The amount of trichomes on some of the specimens is just soooo nice and they still have expanding to do. Noice!!! :cool1:
    1705152701963 _small.jpg

I've only been giving the plants water with the molasses mix, both the veg and bloom version in equal amounts. Looking at the majority of the leaves this was a good discission as they are still looking healthy. Of course, near the end the plant isn't going to put energy into producing new leaves so we play the hand we are dealt... 🖐️
    1705152701967 _small.jpg

Doesn't this Slaughtered Lamb look scrumptious... :fire:
    1705152701972 _small.jpg

Next beside it, is my (Double Grape x Toof Decay) x Sooty Bride, chockful with seeds!! :woohoo1:
    1705152701977 _small.jpg

Left side of the tent...
    1705152701914 _small.jpg

Right side...
    1705152701918 _small.jpg

Full frontal :astar:
    1705152701926 _small.jpg

Oh, I'm getting everything together to start sowing for my new project...the search for my 90's White Widow goes a foot...
    @Antonio_DutchPassion, again thank you and Dutch Passion for sponsoring the seeds ♥. I've sent you a pm with my information. :d5:

Regards,

Bob :toke:

Project Swamp Wine - Day 62
  • @Emerald Archer, again buddy. Thank you for the rep points!!

Nice mate, and you're welcome ofc!

I'll get you some beans your way today!
    You are the best my friend!!! :cheers:

Inside the tent everything is slowly coming to an end. The foliage is dying off and the buds are swelling up.
    1705589356769 _small.jpg

I've stopped giving anything else then plain water.
    1705589356756 _small.jpg

Ok, these are pictures taken with a flash, but look at them trichomes...mhmmmmm
    1705589356752 _small.jpg

And all of them are chockfull with seeds. I've been sampling some pieces and there's almost nothing left when the seeds are removed so...
    1705589356747 _small.jpg

Luckily vaping the stuff doesn't give me a headache and I can still sample and select.
    1705589356743 _small.jpg

Going to have to dry the sh!t out of these ladies so I can separate the trichomes from the seeds and plant material. Hopefully I can make me some hash from the dry sift.
    1705589356738 _small.jpg

And here's another time lapse. Again 120fps and duration = 124 hours. Enjoy :pop:

Regards,

Project Swamp Wine - Day 64
  • Hey Breeders and wannabreeders :toke:

As I said Thursday, this show is finally coming to an end...I've started to take some scope pictures from the trichomes...
    1705765633030 _small.jpg

The one above and below are from my selected specimen Cheese XXL #1 from Dinafem.
    1705765633018 _small.jpg

This is the Cheese XXL #2. I've selected #1 to continue breeding with, for now. The buds have a more dence carpet of trichomes then #2, but I think #2 will have a larger harvest to her. The final choice will come when smoking. And I've been trying some of these buds and must say, #1 sure smells and tastes better.
    1705765633007 _small.jpg

1705765632993 _small.jpg

These are the trichomes of Double Grape x 3 Bears OG #2. #1 is looking like crap...But that happens...:shrug:
    1705765632983 _small.jpg

This Double Grape x 3 Bears OG #1 will still need some time to get some color to them trichomes...
    1705765632971 _small.jpg

...But then, they are a plenty :cooldance:
    1705765632961 _small.jpg

My brother @Sawney_bean's Slaughtered Lamb #3. This is the pertiest of them all and covered in frost!! She is also the furthest of them all at only 64 days. Bro, you have a knack of breeding superfast auto's mate!! :d5:
    1705765632942 _small.jpg

Came across this gnat...Should have stayed away from those trichomes mf'r :finger::haha:
    1705765632909 _small.jpg

This is (Double Grape x Toof Decay) x Sooty Bride, which is my own 3th gen. creation. #3 will be the one to continue with. 👌 As the others aren't showing much potential. That's ok, these are F1 so they will display lot's of vigor and that's when you find that extra frosty one...Yup, #3 will do just fine!!
    1705765632900 _small.jpg

To end things, the only semi decent picture from the trichomes of Skywalker OG x UK Cheese #1. This has been my choice from the first selection and it keeps doing things the way I like 'm to be. So she will be used to continue project Swamp Wine with 💪
    1705765632888 _small.jpg

Anyway, that's it for today. No time lapse as things are moving so slowly a clip ran at 120fps would be over in 3 seconds... So I'd rather have you wait a couple more days and actually see something. 🎬

Regards,

Project Swamp Wine - Day 65 - Harvest
  • Hey AFN fam :toke:

Due to unforeseen circumstances I have cut this project short by a week or two.
    Y0071143 _small.JPG

I'm not going to elaborate, but everything had to go...
    Y0071144 _small.JPG

I selected some prime buds from each specimen which I wanted the seed from and loaded the dryer.
    Y0071145 _small.JPG

There were some super frosty specimens, but due to the circumstances I didn't take pictures...These are from the time lapse camera...
    Y0071146 _small.JPG

The best of the best of each cultivar loaded into the dryer. And then the dryer went into the tent with everything off, except for the extraction fan and the dryer itself.
    1705918071996 _small.jpg

After four days the buds were nice and crisp and could be crushed so the seeds would become visible.
    Y0080001 _small.JPG

I harvested about 500 seeds from all the buds collected earlier this week. So all is good on the breeding track :thumbsup:
    The box below got packed up into more cardboard and then went inside the outside furnace to be burned.
    1705918072003 _small.jpg

This means, no canna in the house for a while. Will do me good I believe 💪
    So this is the final time lapse for this project. Speed = 120fps, duration = 92 hours.

Until further notice this thread is on pause. Thank you all for all the kind words and reps I received! ♥

Regards,

3....2....1....Go!!
  • Hey breeders and wanna breeders!! :toke:

Lookie here what the postman delivered into my mailbox today...:woohoo1:
    I wish to show my gratitude towards Antonio and Dutch Passion for supporting my search to find my White Widow. THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!!
    From all the reps here on the forum, you guys absolutely win the price for support. I'll always be grateful for your generosity ♥♥♥
    1708959822556 _small.jpg

Now...Let's get this show on the road. Yihaaaaw!! 🪶

Kickstarting this thread back to life!!! New
  • Hey Breeders and Wannabreeders :toke:

It's been a while since I posted in this thread. The main reason was that I wanted to give @Marshydro the chance to do the right thing and sponsor a light for a four year contract, but they rather support YouTubers and Instagrammers. Their loss, the "Bob's search for the real White Widow with Dutch Passion's regular genetics" thread is 8 weeks old and got 6K views and growing. And as long as there's no sponsoring I'm doing my utmost best to remove any logo from said company. We have a saying in our country. "Voor niets gaat de zon op"

Anyway, let's continue with positive information...Breeding....

A while ago, @Shiva's Mistress pointed me towards La Buena Hierba. Telling me they have regular auto's for sale. So I went onto the site and after some serious selecting and chatting with the owner, I ended up with the Super-Auto Copacabana Haze. It's got a fairly long lifespan and that's where the Super-Auto term comes from. These cultivars have been back-crossed to the original photo parent so many times that only a very small part of the auto gene is left. But they still autoflower after four weeks. The remaining 11-12 weeks is the "flowering period, which is very long, but luckily I have ample room inside the greenhouse.
    I've calculated that when I start germination today the plants will be ready mid August, which is fine by me. So this is the first of the autoflowers I'm going to grow inside the greenhouse.

I bought ten seeds, but am only going to germinate five.
    1714696761198 _small.jpg

I gathered all my supplies...
    • ISO for sterilizing the plate the cotton pad would be placed upon.
    • Non-bleached organic cotton pads
    • Clingfoil to cover up the plate a keep humidity high. Normally I would use microwave foil as this got small holes punctures, but with the clingfoil wrapped around the plate I was able to puncture holes with the pointy end of the pair of scissors.
    • A small amount of demineralized water
    • A couple of drop H²O²
    1714696761192 _small.jpg

The cotton pad got soaked with the demineralized water and then got four drops of the H²O² added. This isn't necessary, but I do use it because we don't know what nasties are on the seeds themselves. Then I spread out the seeds as far as possible from each other. A maximum of five seeds/cotton pad is recommended. Any more and you run the risk of intertwining the roots when they germinate.
    1714696761187 _small.jpg

On top of the seeds went another cotton pad which also got soaked with the demi-water.
    In this case the tag on the plate is kinda moot as there's only one cotton pad with one cultivar on the whole plate, but old habbits die hard, so I do what I normally do.
    On top of that I wrapped the plate with the clingfoil and poked some holes with the pair of scissors.
    1714696761182 _small.jpg

I've also got one of my five mini propagators out of storage and put it inside a plastic resealable bag. Into the bag, I poured a heafty dose of H²O² (12%), sealed the bag and shook it really well. When the seeds emerge I'll be flushing the bag with tap water and drip dry the mini propagator.
    I've still got some of them clonex cubes left over from the White Widow project and will be using these to plant the sprouts into when they germinate.
    The mini prop got twenty spots for such cubes, so I can spread the five without running the risk that any one of them can touch another.

Now the waiting game starts again. Two to three days and we should see tails emerging from the seeds.

See you guys very soon!!

Regards,

@Antonio_DutchPassion @Marshydro @Bill.de.Cat @Cannaficionado @Corum59 @Crow River @DCLXVI @DOA @Doctor's Choice @Don't Fear the Reefer @Egg @Emerald Archer @FarmerJake @FullMoonparty @hecno @Hog_M@Gundy @JP1 @kfigerm @Lil Dab @Mañ'O'Green @MasonJarOG @Mozzy @Mossy @N/A-Greengo @parsing_trees @pop22 @R Wayne @Rasterman @Redeye Master @Rick Dirte' @Sawney_bean @St. Tom @tobe @Vapo @WildBill

Last edited:
    Day 3 Super-Auto Copacabana Haze New
  • Hey Growers & Blowers :toke:

I'm calling Thursday day 1 for these seedlings. That's when both stood up right and the cotyledons were out and about.
    Then there were three seedlings that had sprouted. Today when I opened up the parent tent I saw one of them had started to damp of and had some dark spots near the base of the plant. I still have the two pods in the back, but after a week I'm not very hopeful they will germinate.
    1715443105441 _small.jpg

So now there's only two left. :shrug:
    Not a good start if I may say so. Ok, we're working with living material, but in my last couple of grows (Dutch Passion, Sawney, my own creations, ...) I've really been spoiled. With no defunct seeds to begin with.
    Anywho, two is better then nothing, so I'm going to spoil these mf'ers and transfer them to the greenhouse as soon as I see multiple roots appearing through the sides. By then temperatures inside the greenhouse will have gone tropical and they will feel right at home. 🍹

This is it for now guys and gals.

See you when I see you.

Back