Grow Mediums Cat tries the 1st Northern Lights grow in coco

Cat

Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Mephisto's Ripleys OG & Green Poison by Sweet Seeds
I’ve been mulling around AFN for a few weeks and really value the knowledge and sense of community. This might be a little cheeky, but I’d like to invite some of the people I’ve been following @Bailey @Fuggzy @PotGuyVer @tripaholic88 @comet79

Okay, so I’ve been meaning to start a journal, but I need a new camera and the PC doesn’t take very good pics. I’ll try to introduce my grow and hope it’s not too long-winded.

This is the equipment I’m using…

80 x 80 x 160cm Black Orchid Hydro-box light

2 x Marshydro 300 watt LED

Small carbon filter and a tent pocket inline fan

Small clip on fan & Tower fan

A small dehumidifier.

Canvas grow bags, using coco/perlite. (I’m wondering if grow bags add to high humidity)

I am currently waiting on a new fan for the carbon filter, recommended by @Bailey.

In the meantime, I can only hope that the fans are circulating enough air to avoid things like bud rot, but I might need to purchase a larger dehumidifier. Outside humidity levels were 70%, which is not entirely unusual.

My feeding schedule is currently (per gallon of water)

nutes.jpg

40day old plant @ 2.5ml Floranova bloom .5ml grow & 1ml Calmag

35day old plant @ 2.0ml grow .5ml bloom & 1ml Calmag

One of the best pieces of equipment for judging nutrients is my cheap TDS meter. When it arrived, I realised my plants were being fed 3 times more than they should. Unfortunately, my tap water comes in at just over 600us/cm, which is around .6ec, I think.

WIN_20160611_11_51_52_Pro.jpg

This leaves little room for adding nutes. I bring the nute solution to 5.8Ph and 1300us/cm (1.3ec). I would increase the feed, but my run off comes out slightly higher than what goes in. I am still trying to fathom the best nute plan and any suggestions would be appreciated

The strain I’m growing is Northern Light auto (fem) by Sensi. I decided to plant one seed at a time, which transpired as one of my better decisions.

My first plant is called ‘little Miss Bushy’. She's only about 2-3wks old in this pic

I stressed over her short bushy structure for weeks. The dense undergrowth made it very difficult to see the main stem or apply LST. Poking around her bush :biggrin: did stress her out, which may well have contributed to her stunted growth. Here’s a few pics of her life span

WIN_20160602_18_13_43_Pro.jpg

WIN_20160605_18_45_29_Pro.jpg

WIN_20160614_17_09_03_Pro.jpg

WIN_20160614_17_49_45_Pro.jpg

WIN_20160620_18_28_10_Pro.jpg

This one was taken a couple of days ago and those bud sites continue to stretch up from her bush!

WIN_20160622_13_47_27_Pro.jpg

The second seed I planted is doing a lot better.

WIN_20160602_18_18_08_Pro.jpg

WIN_20160605_18_47_19_Pro.jpg

This next two were taken a couple of days ago

WIN_20160623_15_23_44_Pro.jpg

WIN_20160623_15_23_30_Pro.jpg

I imagine the first grow is the worst. There’s no other reference point to judge the plants development, plus I’m anxious to see a return for my money. Even if I only harvest a couple of grams on my first plant, the learning curve has been a valuable experience.

So, now that I’ve introduce myself, I’ll try to keep my pics updated and, of course, invest in a basic camera

Attachments

• WIN_20160611_11_51_52_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20160611_11_51_52_Pro.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 122
  • WIN_20160602_18_16_32_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20160602_18_16_32_Pro.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 115
Good for starting a journal bud! Your plant is packing some height and will continue to as the preflowers start to develop. You may be surprised at the outcome.

I am in soil, but I was thinking of buying a cheap water filter that screws on to the tap. Have you considered that to help lower your ppm? Anyway, I am subbed and sending good karma your way.

wow @Cat! your plants look a hell of a lot better than mine did on my first grow at this stage! i agree with PotGuy about trying to get your tap water PPM down that would help. you might wanna look for a RO filter.
im subbed for the rest of this one cat:pop:
if you have any ? just ask as you know AFN is all about helping out the newcomer :pighug:

Good for starting a journal bud! Your plant is packing some height and will continue to as the preflowers start to develop. You may be surprised at the outcome.

I am in soil, but I was thinking of buying a cheap water filter that screws on to the tap. Have you considered that to help lower your ppm? Anyway, I am subbed and sending good karma your way.
Thank you mate. Yes, the younger plant is really stretching and buds are developing nicely. I am considering an RO filter, so will be interested to hear if you go that route

wow @Cat! your plants look a hell of a lot better than mine did on my first grow at this stage! i agree with PotGuy about trying to get your tap water PPM down that would help. you might wanna look for a RO filter.
im subbed for the rest of this one cat:pop:
if you have any ? just ask as you know AFN is all about helping out the newcomer :pighug:
Thanks, appreciate that. I am really pleased with second plant and think she'll do well, but she might be a little starved of N and Calmag. I'll increase those tomoz. Cheers

it looks more like a P def or lockout to me... check you soil/coco PH. ive been dealing with this and you wanna get that cleared up asap before flower!:doc:

Hey there @Cat thanks for the invite! :cool1: So far everything looks pretty good.

The fabric pots may add to the humidity, but I personally don't see a major increase. I use them in 5,3, 1.5, and 0.5 gallon sizes sometimes with 12+ in the tent at once and everything is normally fine. I don't use a dehumidifier, and my normal Rh outside is 70%+ too. In doors my Rh is ~35-50%. I'm guessing you know, but more air=less rot. If the moisture is not allowed to pool, and sit there, you can manage higher Rh a bit better. (although "custom" rH is always nice) If you notice that the rH level is raising to high after watering, try putting the pots on a towel for 5-10 minutes before placing back in the tent, This will also help prevent over watering (however in coco I doubt that will be an issue, major O2 retention).

I don't know jack about coco yet, but anything else I can help with just ask. :) Heres a some karam, a song, and a slap to get you started! Till later, take care! :d5:
:karmacloud::drunks::slap:

it looks more like a P def or lockout to me... check you soil/coco PH. ive been dealing with this and you wanna get that cleared up asap before flower!:doc:
I have been testing the run off, but not sure if I do it right. I simply test what comes out. Ph going in is 5.8/out 6.3. I flushed each plant yesterday with a gallon of water each (in coco) with nutes and ph 5.8, but it still came out 6.3. I wasn't sure if that should be a concern. I need to do a little more reading. The younger plant definately needs more calmag

Hey there @Cat thanks for the invite! :cool1: So far everything looks pretty good.

The fabric pots may add to the humidity, but I personally don't see a major increase. I use them in 5,3, 1.5, and 0.5 gallon sizes sometimes with 12+ in the tent at once and everything is normally fine. I don't use a dehumidifier, and my normal Rh outside is 70%+ too. In doors my Rh is ~35-50%. I'm guessing you know, but more air=less rot. If the moisture is not allowed to pool, and sit there, you can manage higher Rh a bit better. (although "custom" rH is always nice) If you notice that the rH level is raising to high after watering, try putting the pots on a towel for 5-10 minutes before placing back in the tent, This will also help prevent over watering (however in coco I doubt that will be an issue, major O2 retention).

I don't know jack about coco yet, but anything else I can help with just ask. :) Heres a some karam, a song, and a slap to get you started! Till later, take care! :d5:
:karmacloud::drunks::slap:

Thanks fuggzy, appreciate your help. Yesterday my indoors humidity was 70%. We've had a lot of rain here and the heat makes it worse. Usually my tent sits at 50-60% and I'm relieved to hear that good air circulation helps prevent mold etc. The ext fan I'm waiting on is only a cheap one, but it is twice as powerful as the one I have. I didn't want to spend much more until I convert my cupboard. What I do notice is the humidity rising by 10-15% as soon as the lights go out... not sure what that's about. Anyway, thanks again fuggzy, people like you make the first grow a lot less stressful:pass:

Back