Harvest & Curing Cob curing?

I've read on other forums about an interesting and unique curing technique called "Cob curing" or "Malawi Cob Curing". Apparently it seems to have originated in Africa(Malawi in particular) and involves stripping buds off the main stem after drying for a little bit and packing them up tightly in a corn husk, tieing it up and then going through a series of steps including vacuum sealing it(traditional methods involves burying underground) and some other steps. Obviously, I'm over simplifying and leaving a lot out, but I think it involves fermentation and results in a very different style of final product that has a strong and sweet flavor profile and a very strong high. Kind of similar idea to Thai sticks, I think.

Does anyone have any experience with this method or it's results? Just when I thought I'd read all there was to read about drying and curing, I stumbled across this highly fascinating little nugget. I'm very interested in learning more about it and hearing from folks who have. The whole idea of tightly packing together moist buds and then sealing them in an anaerobic environment is quite contrary to what most of us are used to.

Here's a tutorial with pics that I found:

Heard about that before, the imgur journal is a good one, very understandable. If someone has no vac-machine he can simply put it in a plastic zip and move it underwater, top open so the air can exit. Tricky part is to not let water inside. The whole thing is worth a try. Just before harvest. I am going to chop in 1-2weeks and if you would remind me i'd try with some little buds.

Hey Auto-Thanks:biggrin: I almost forgot again! But I do actually have a couple of corn husks now and my Sour Stomper is scheduled to come down on or about May 29. This does look interesting:thumbsup:Pipes

Ok I just re-read the instructions. I do have a vacuum sealer and bags. My plants are coming down at the end of May and then I'll let them dry on my screens for about a week and do the cob cure. Looks very tasty!

Last edited:
I'm going to give cob curing a shot within the next week and post a full report of my attempt here in this thread, so stay tuned....

I have some lovely Sour Hound drying in paper bags right now. I separated all the trimmed buds into small and/or larfy, medium and primo cola tops. I'm going to be using the smallest ones for this experiment since looks don't count with cob curing.

thats why you turn compost piles and aerate them from time to time to NOT have them go anerobic. good luck with that.

OK Ladies and Gents, here we go...

As mentioned i used the smallest popcorn buds from a Sour Hound I took down earlier this week on Monday. They were sat in paper bags at the top of my tent for the past three days and were dry on the outside, but still kinda squishy and moist on the inside. I wanted to make sure that they all had enough moisture in them to make this thing work, so I decided today was the day to get this going.

I used fresh corn husks from corn I purchased immediately before starting. I very carefully cut off the remainder of the stalk so that I could gently peel off the leaves without having any rip along the seams. I chose to use the middle to inner husks as they were cleaner, bigger and a little thinner. You can see below the amount of buds I used. I didn't weigh beforehad, but I would guess it was somewhere between 15-30 grams. I used garden twist tie to secure it as that was all I had on hand.
0921171347.jpg

Next step was to carefully pull off all the stems I could from the buds. Luckily these were small so they didn't have much.
0921171358.jpg

Getting the buds into the husk neatly and uniformly was probably the most difficult and time consuming part of the process, but not that hard, all things considered.
0921171400.jpg

I had nitrile gloves on, so worked to pack and compact the buds in as best I could. Kind of using a cigar rolling kind of technique. After I had them as tightly rolled in one husk as possible, I rolled it up like a joint and then wrapped a couple more husks around it so that it wouldn't come undone. I cinched it as tightly in the middle as I could with some twisty tie.
0921171408.jpg

You can see here where I pushed in as hard as I could on each end to get it as tightly compacted in there as I could. I used my fingers and the end of a screwdriver wrapped in a plastic bag to jam it in there before cinching it off on each side.
0921171420.jpg

Here is the point where I took long lengths of twine and constricted the living shit out of the cob to again make sure it was as tightly wrapped and uniform as possible.
0921171426.jpg

One more go-around with the twisty tie and I felt that it was as tight as could be. The whole thing was very compact and dense, like a little cudgel. I then took the cob, stuck it in a plastic grocery bag, loosely wrapped it up a few times in the bag and stuck it on a plant tray germination heating pad in my basement with a germination dome over it(with the vents halfway open). This should keep it in the 70's to 80's, I am hoping. I'll be monitoring it closely, as the tutorial and article stresses that this "sweat" is a critical component to getting a good cure. In 24 hours, I'll check on it, snip loose ends off either side and vacuum seal it for a week or so. I'll be back with more updates then. Wish me luck!!
0921171428.jpg

thats why you turn compost piles and aerate them from time to time to NOT have them go anerobic. good luck with that.

Well, many people have reported phenomenal and unique results with this method, so I'm excited to give it a try. Yes, it sounds contrary to anaerobically ferment your buds, but it's certainly not completely unheard of and many people enjoy it. It seems to be kind of a niche thing.

Tangwena had a good point in his original posting when he said that Western culture has only been dabbling in cannabis in earnest for perhaps the past 100 years, and particularly since the 60's or so. Other cultures have been using and preparing cannabis for way longer, so I'm not so quick to dismiss it just because it's not what's common or popular.

Just take a look at that famous pic from High Times showing the best buds of 1977(see below). I always see it on r/trees. Everyone gets a good laugh out of it. Those buds look raggedy as hell. I wouldn't even use them for butter.

Notions and tastes change with the times, but I'm looking forward to sampling this different preparation that's apparently enjoyed by many people in Africa and those in the Western world lucky enough to have come across it. I guess I'm saying I approach this with the understanding that we don't know as much as we think we do. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

HT 1977.png

Very cool! I've been curious about trying this myself but haven't been able to build up enough of a stash to spare the bud. Soon though! Subbed up, good luck!

Just take a look at that famous pic from High Times showing the best buds of 1977(see below). I always see it on r/trees. Everyone gets a good laugh out of it. Those buds look raggedy as hell. I wouldn't even use them for butter.

View attachment 806907

Can you imagine what the brickweed looked like back then if that was the good-good? :face:

I was only talking about the anerobic properties of the compost pile not the buds man. rock on man. but aerobic in compost is what yur going for. a coment a few back.

Back