Harvest & Curing Cob curing?

Autotron

I used to smoke weed. I still do,but I used to too
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Cartridges from a melange of old frows
I've read on other forums about an interesting and unique curing technique called "Cob curing" or "Malawi Cob Curing". Apparently it seems to have originated in Africa(Malawi in particular) and involves stripping buds off the main stem after drying for a little bit and packing them up tightly in a corn husk, tieing it up and then going through a series of steps including vacuum sealing it(traditional methods involves burying underground) and some other steps. Obviously, I'm over simplifying and leaving a lot out, but I think it involves fermentation and results in a very different style of final product that has a strong and sweet flavor profile and a very strong high. Kind of similar idea to Thai sticks, I think.

Does anyone have any experience with this method or it's results? Just when I thought I'd read all there was to read about drying and curing, I stumbled across this highly fascinating little nugget. I'm very interested in learning more about it and hearing from folks who have. The whole idea of tightly packing together moist buds and then sealing them in an anaerobic environment is quite contrary to what most of us are used to.

Here's a tutorial with pics that I found:

Last edited:
looks interesting.

I'm going to try this on some of my stuff but corn husks are at a premium this time of year. Don't know if I can find any. I remember years ago people used to wrap up colas tightly in newspaper and cure it that way. I bookmarked this. Thanks.

I'm going to try this on some of my stuff but corn husks are at a premium this time of year. Don't know if I can find any. I remember years ago people used to wrap up colas tightly in newspaper and cure it that way. I bookmarked this. Thanks.

The article mentioned using dry corn husks that you can buy at the grocery store for making tamales and moistening them a bit. That's probably an easier alternative.

Let us know how it works out Pipes!

Regarding:
"The whole idea of tightly packing together moist buds and then sealing them in an anaerobic environment is quite contrary to what most of us are used to."

Theoretically, anaerobic fermentation may well be a critical part of what we call "curing." Curing clearly involves enzymatic breakdown/digestion of lots of diverse plant debris (proteins, nucleic acids, pigments, carbohydrates/sugars, etc.), with the enzymes coming from common fungi and bacteria and breakdown of plant cells. From the little I recall, natural anaerobic microbial attack is more effective for breaking down plant debris. Makes sense, with the anaerobes (not using oxygen) at a disadvantage and more needing to be able to break down most anything organic. Aren't compost piles ideally anaerobic at their core?

Otherwise, no matter how buds are wrapped or not, at the plant cell and microbe levels there could well be anaerobic conditions and, ideally, fermentation going on. After the easy stuff, the soluble sugars, amino acids, etc. are digested by the aerobes, I want the anaerobic bacteria and fungi to tear into the plant debris for real. That could well be happening at the micro level with any/all curing methods. [Has "curing" and its variations ever been scientifically studied?]

Let us know how it works out Pipes!

Regarding:
"The whole idea of tightly packing together moist buds and then sealing them in an anaerobic environment is quite contrary to what most of us are used to."

Theoretically, anaerobic fermentation may well be a critical part of what we call "curing." Curing clearly involves enzymatic breakdown/digestion of lots of diverse plant debris (proteins, nucleic acids, pigments, carbohydrates/sugars, etc.), with the enzymes coming from common fungi and bacteria and breakdown of plant cells. From the little I recall, natural anaerobic microbial attack is more effective for breaking down plant debris. Makes sense, with the anaerobes (not using oxygen) at a disadvantage and more needing to be able to break down most anything organic. Aren't compost piles ideally anaerobic at their core?

Otherwise, no matter how buds are wrapped or not, at the plant cell and microbe levels there could well be anaerobic conditions and, ideally, fermentation going on. After the easy stuff, the soluble sugars, amino acids, etc. are digested by the aerobes, I want the anaerobic bacteria and fungi to tear into the plant debris for real. That could well be happening at the micro level with any/all curing methods. [Has "curing" and its variations ever been scientifically studied?]

Like I said I'm going to give this a try. I have a plant coming down tomorrow afternoon-a DinaFem OG Kush. I live in farm country,USA and maybe able to find a corn hush in a ditch somewhere. I'll do my normal cure for a while and then try the cob cure. I certainly wouldn't do this to a whole bunch of pot but it looks intriguing. Pipes

Like I said I'm going to give this a try. I have a plant coming down tomorrow afternoon-a DinaFem OG Kush. I live in farm country,USA and maybe able to find a corn hush in a ditch somewhere. I'll do my normal cure for a while and then try the cob cure. I certainly wouldn't do this to a whole bunch of pot but it looks intriguing. Pipes

Hey Pipes, did you give this a try? Let us know!

@Loud Pipes

No I never did! I forgot all about this actually! Now I'm going to have to revisit this thread. I'm gonna try this:biggrin:. I have some Sour Stomper coming down in about 30-35 days. I promise to try it then if I remember. And that's the problem-remembering. I'll gladly accept any and all pm's or alerts reminding my of this technique starting in about 30 days. It does look interesting:biggrin::thumbsup: Pipes

Back