Didn't expect this from an autoflower

HyRisKxZoodie

New User
Reaction score
I'm like on week 11 or 12 from seed. I'm growing gorilla glue auto in dwc using general hydroponics nutes. First thing is I messed up during weeks 5, 6, and half of 7 by mixing up the micro and the gro. I was giving her wayyyyy too much micro in the beginning and wayyy too little gro. After realizing I pretty much poisoned her I gave her a flush and picked up from there. She had alot of dead leaves on the bottom and some other leaves looked f***ed up, but she kept growing and overall as of now she looks pretty healthy. P.s she's on blooming nutes half strength.

Now I'm almost three months from seed and I'm seeing alot of pistils but worried that she won't go completely into flower. It's like she still growing but the transitioning phase has slowed. However I'm surprised by how big she's gotten I didn't expect this from an auto. I don't know if it's my fault by getting the nutes mixed up or if this is normal for an autoflower to take this long. I was told 2-3 months from seed to harvest.

Oh and one more thing by this being my first grow I didn't do any lst or defoliation because I was afraid of messing something up. Now I'm regretting not defoilating because she looks cramped in my 6ft by 3ft tent.

Any input would be appreciated.
20191128_064326.jpg
20191128_064223.jpg
View attachment 1132812
20191128_064200.jpg
20191128_064142.jpg
20191125_183709.jpg

Attachments

• 20191125_183700.jpg
    20191125_183700.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 111
  • 20191125_183651.jpg
    20191125_183651.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 105
If it is getting too tall, just gently tie the top down. It also looks like you might want to do some defoliation to allow light to get to the lower bud sites. Some of the side branches can also be gently tied. I don't know what would keep it from fully maturing. Just give it some more time. The mess-up may have put it back by a week or two.

You current growth looks good, but you as you note, still in preflower after three months. Looks to me as though the plant is still putting on height in a big way, so you may be forced to deal with that if that continues. Supercropping may prove to be your friend.

As to the claims that it should be finished soon, most such claims are exaggerated for marketing purposes, and sometimes they just do not turn out due to phenotype variation. And sometimes they are plain bs. Anyway, if you stick with it, you should get some monster yield when this lady finally gets on with it.

I'm like on week 11 or 12 from seed. I'm growing gorilla glue auto in dwc using general hydroponics nutes. First thing is I messed up during weeks 5, 6, and half of 7 by mixing up the micro and the gro. I was giving her wayyyyy too much micro in the beginning and wayyy too little gro. After realizing I pretty much poisoned her I gave her a flush and picked up from there. She had alot of dead leaves on the bottom and some other leaves looked f***ed up, but she kept growing and overall as of now she looks pretty healthy. P.s she's on blooming nutes half strength.

Now I'm almost three months from seed and I'm seeing alot of pistils but worried that she won't go completely into flower. It's like she still growing but the transitioning phase has slowed. However I'm surprised by how big she's gotten I didn't expect this from an auto. I don't know if it's my fault by getting the nutes mixed up or if this is normal for an autoflower to take this long. I was told 2-3 months from seed to harvest.

Oh and one more thing by this being my first grow I didn't do any lst or defoliation because I was afraid of messing something up. Now I'm regretting not defoilating because she looks cramped in my 6ft by 3ft tent.

Any input would be appreciated.View attachment 1132810View attachment 1132811View attachment 1132812View attachment 1132813View attachment 1132814View attachment 1132815

This plant could start flowering hard soon but it's already been so long. You could switch to 12/12 but it might not be necessary.

I can tell you this though. Don't defoliate your plant. Your plant grew those leaves to help the roots transport nutrients and water through the plant. Removal can cause metabolic stress and those leaves will transfer nutrients over time as they yellow. Defoliation doesn't help buds swell because buds don't photosynthesize to receive any benefit themselves from direct light. You rarely need to remove any leaves unless they are aiding in mold because they are already wilting.

What you can do is take the taller branches and if possible super crop them but don't break them. You can try massaging the stem where you intend to bend it until it softens. Bending down the taller branches will help break apical dominance, one Christmas tree cola vs several, and help you manage your height.

More in depth

Last edited:
Unfortunately, that plant is not an auto... Not sure who the breeder is or what the strain is, but at 11/12 weeks and all you've got is a few pistils, tells me clearly that this plant doesn't have the auto gene. Flipping to 12/12 light schedule will get her flowering. But she'll probably stretch more as well.

And you can defoliate if you want to. What Damien50 said is true, but in extreme situations. Every plant grows waaayyyy more leaves than it will ever need. Out in nature, animals and insects eat leaves.. Plants have adapted to this over millions of yrs and grow way more leaves than they need. On top of that, if you're using bottles nutrients, your plants aren't using the food in its leaves. Bottled nutrients are immediately available.. It's like having an IV drip line straight to the plant. Guess how much energy the plant uses to keep all those fan leaves growing and looking green? A LOT.. It definitely has an effect on bud size when done right. That technique is called lollipopping and has been in use for ever. Defoliating has its benefits... It helps with airflow, light penetration, even humidity, just to name a few. Just some things to think about..

But yeah, that plant unfortunately is not an auto... and the only thing that will push it into full flower at this point is a 12/12 light schedule.

In real estate the #1 rule is location, location, location.. With growing, the #1 rule is genetics, genetics, genetics! Start with solid well respected breeders.

In 14 years, I've seen my share of slow autos but never had one not flower ....most at 3 weeks.
I agree, that's not an auto.. flip it.

Where did you get the seeds? I've got the GG4 Auto from Expert seeds..and it's delayed as well..which I like for outdoor grows as they are good producers..

Second..What light schedule have you been using? If you're growing autos..you want a minimum of 20 hours a day...start to finish, even through flowering....

"If" you bought your seeds from a legit and credible breeder...and believe that you do in fact have an auto...Crank the hours up...(again 20+..)Not down...If its an auto it will continue to flower..If its a photo it should go back into veg..At least that way you will know.

Nice looking lady none the less... :)

Toad

Thanks for the replies. I have to look into lollipoping that idea kind of makes me nervous. My humidity is between 45-53 since switching to 24hr light schedule about 2 weeks ago. I was running 20-4 light schedule but changed because of the slow transitioning phase. My main cola leaves are starting to taco a little because this plant is so freaking big. I had to move the light to the edge of my tent to combat with heat stress so hopefully that helps. My breeder is growers choice they seem like a reputable breeder. I do think it's
20191203_174529.jpg
20191203_174512.jpg
20191203_174505.jpg
an auto because more pistils are forming but I could be wrong so tell me what y'all think by the pics I attached. I'm going to try the 12-12 light schedule and see what happens.

How much light do you have over this plant? Those last shots look like a light starved situation.

My GG from FB is doing the same

I had 1 going at the same time as a bunch of purps... purps were harvested a week ago, GG still going upwards... at 12 weeks

Mine hit 8 feet so I chopped the top 1/3 off and cleared the bottom 1/3 out. I have the room for 8 footers but I figured it was going to keep growing...

And it is... It's still trying to stretch but at least it's also starting to fill now

Back