Dutch Passion Dutch Passion for outdoor med grow

Those Dutch passions are going to get a lot bigger than the Mephistos. Not too sure about the other strains you have, but I’ve grown the daiquiri lime and it was awesome. Top 3 best smelling autos IMO and potent too. It was a big yielder of the densest buds I’ve grown off an autoflower so far. The last 15-20 strains I’ve grown have all been Mephisto, mostly because of the price point with the freebies buying direct when they have a sale and I live in the US. But my all time favorite autoflower is from Dutch Passion. It’s their Cinderella Jack. It’s a frost machine and it is some extremely tastey smooth smoke. I REALLY need to grab some more of those seeds soon. Here’s of couple pics of that delicious Cindy Jack.
Cinderella Jack was my #1 choice, but I wasn't able to find any when I purchased my seeds. I've grown both Cindy 99 and Jack Herrer, so I am really curious about that one.

The three I'm thinking of growing summer of 2021 are the three that DP claims get the biggest (of the group that I have); Daiquiri Lime, Glueberry OG, and Lemon Kix (I think they are all listed as "XXL"). I use bug netting to keep the moths/worms away, but I might need to make larger hoops for those. Lot's of time to plan for it.

I reread my first post, and a lot has changed since I was in the early planning stages of this grow. I ended out building a structure (time will tell how well it functions), so instead of planting in the ground as I prefer, all the plants are in pots this summer. I also had planned on doing an all Dutch Passion grow this summer, but decided instead to lean heavily on DP, grow a couple of Mephs for comparison (I don't think I've ever grown them in pots before), and then I have one sample each of four other breeders. Since this is the DP section, I'll focus on those.

I've got a Glueberry OG, a Daiquiri Lime, and a Cinderella Jack. They were popped between May 10 -12 in one gallon pots, and were put outside May 29 because an early heat wave made the garage too hot. So they ended out under some extreme heat, which seemed to cause them to stretch. June 3/4 they were up-potted, and then the 5th the temps dropped off. They've all been topped after the 5th node. The GB and DL are in 7 gallon pots, and the CJ is in a 15 that I have about 10 gallons of soil in. Why put the bigger plants in smaller pots? I'm in a limited space and I'm probably going to regret how many I've started, but for now, I'm going to encourage the big ones to grow, but not to get too big.

Glueberry OG (26 days since sprouted)
06.07.21_dp-glueberry.jpg

Daiquiri Lime (26 days)
06.07.21_dp-daq-lime.jpg

Cindy Jack (24 days since sprouted)
06.07.21_dp-cindyjack.jpg

Last edited:
All of the girls survived the epic PNW heat dome, the hottest it got was 116º in the hoop house, at that point the shades had done all they could and I went fully opaque on the cover.

It's around day 47 since they popped. Here are the Dutch Passion strains in the group.

The Daiquiri Lime is one of the strains that DP says can go really long, and I bet if I had put it in the ground it would have been a 16 week plant and a monster. I don't have room for monsters in this grow, so I'm glad I have her in a pot. DP also says having her in a pot can shave 2-3 weeks off the finish time, and I'll be grateful if that happens. So, even in a pot, it's the tallest and the very last (out of 10 strains) to flower.

06.29.21_daq-lime.jpg

The Glueberry OG on the other hand was one of the first to start flowering (only behind a FB Gorilla Cookies), and is stacking really nicely. It has huge fat Indica looking leaves.

06.29.21_glueberry.jpg

Lastly I have a Cindy Jack. She's showing really narrow Sativa looking leaves, and she was one of the least stretchy plants of this group. Not only did we have an insane heat wave, but in the earlier part of the grow I was learning about the new grow structure and how it traps heat, and we had a bunch of 100º+ days in there. The two plants I had in larger/shorter/wider pots stretched the least (the other, notably, is a HubbaBubbaHaze -- so two very Sativa leaning plants that presented as shorter node distance bushes...).

06.29.21_cindy-jack.jpg

Overall the plants seem to love the heat, but I'm not sure if it's causing some of them to stretch. My hypothesis is that getting only about 7 hours of direct sunlight combined with high heat is accelerating their metabolisms but not giving them commensurate light to go with it... obviously I have no control group, so I have no way to test that. The best I can do is take a lot of notes and pictures and see how subsequent years are different. In the mean time in terms of controlling the temps in there, anywhere between 90º and about 105º seems to be working for them.

Overall, I'd say so far so good.

Looking good!

That Daiquiri Lime is definitely a late finisher... but she's worth the wait.
I grew one out this spring (harvested in June), and it was a 28" tall terp rocket.

It's one of those cultivars that keeps the nose in the jar a little longer, if you know what I mean.

PXL_20210601_153505255.jpg

The Daiquiri Lime that I'm growing is a tall stretchy girl -- could be a pheno thing, could be environmental. This one is topped, I'm sure she'd be taller if she weren't. Finally started to flower, I'm curious to see how long she goes and how much she fills out. It's in a pot marked "7 gallon", for what that's worth. I'll try to keep her fed, it's about day 58, could be a long haul.

07.10.21_dl-top.jpg

07.10.21_dl-full.jpg

Over time I've read a lot of opinions about topping plants, in the end, I personally pretty much top the all, indoors and out. But I will say there are occasionally different reactions to being topped. Here's one that I think did well, and one that didn't.

A Glueberry OG sort of stopped stretching after being topped, which gave the top two branches large buds that started to grow into each other, so I supercropped one to make some air between them.

07.10.21_gb-top.jpg

07.12.21_gb-supercrop.jpg

Here's a Cinderella Jack, which formed two main colas after being topped, to me that's perfection.

07.12.21_cindyjack.jpg

Some side notes on the Glueberry -- I'm also growing a FB Gorilla Cookies and they both had the same reaction to being topped, which in the half dozen years I've been doing this has been very rare. They have several things in common: they are both GG4 mixes, they both have Indica looking leaves, and they were both the first ones to start flowering.

What I don't know for sure is which of those things was most likely to make them react poorly to being topped, but if I had to guess, I would say that it was because they were more mature than the others at the time that I cut them. My suspicion is that for these plants the lack of post-topping stretching was caused by topping too close to the start of flowering. I'm just guessing though.

Any thoughts?

I guess I have some more information towards an answer of my own question, so far I've learned that Glueberry is NOT a good candidate for an outdoor in my climate. Daily RH has been going down into the high-30's to mid-40%'s, nightly it can go up into the mid-70% range -- and I got bud rot in the two primary colas, a few weeks before harvest. Cut those off and put them in the compost, maybe the smaller buds will finish.

08.01.21_gb-budrot1.jpg

08.01.21_gb-budrot2.jpg
08.01.21_gb-budrot3.jpg

EDIT: Just found bud rot in the biggest cola on the Cinderella Jack also, maybe DP buds are just too dense for where I'm growing. I've had rot before, but only after it rained or we had a combination of very humid and overcast weather, never when it's been hot and sunny like this summer with zero rain so far. Oh well, live and learn.

Last edited:
(day 87) The Glueberry OG is a total loss, the rot spread faster than the buds could finish. So far it seems like the Cindy Jack could finish, after cutting off the rotted top buds on that one, at this point it does not seem to have spread to the lower part of the plant. Of my Dutch Passion strains this run, that leaves the Daiquiri Lime, and it looks fine as of today, it's just going to take several weeks longer than the others to finish.

So far, of the 6 different breeders I have going this summer, Dutch Passion is probably the only one I would not grow again outdoors. Even if the Daq Lime makes it another month to finish without any issues, it just takes too long, putting its harvest time into the wet part of our season. This is not an outright condemnation of DP genetics, I'm just learning that in my climate and my outdoor grow space, these strains are not good choices. I look forward to trying them indoors some time.

So far strong finishers in my outdoor are:

RocBud Purple Scoop
Ethos Pluto's Cut
Mephisto Mango Smile
Twenty20 Mendocino Triks
Fast Buds Strawberry Banana

There is still time for any of those to go south... hahaha... but so far they are all looking like they'll finish well. Of those, Mango Smile and Purple Scoop are the frostiest, and Mango Smile by far the best producer. Pluto's Cut and Triks are solid plants that grew without issues and really hold their own. The Strawberry Banana was the one that was stunted from a prolonged period of time before the sprout was freed from its shell, so it's the only one I have not topped and is significantly smaller than the others. That said, it's super frosty and so far its good sized main cola has not had any issues.

All the strains that people might complain had buds that weren't dense enough, were the open bud structures that actually worked best in this environment and did not rot.

We have another heat wave coming, several days in the low 100's, maybe even hitting 107º. It's really late in flower for that kind of heat, so we'll see what happens.

Well, the outdoor part of my outdoor season is over, every plant is cut and hanging -- except for the Daiquiri Lime which I've brought into the garage to finish away from the rain and humidity which have settled in. It's *finally* starting to frost up, the pics were taken this morning, which is day 101. I expect the top will go another week or two (...or three), and then the bottom a couple of weeks after that.

Trying to get people to discuss the characteristics of different breeders has been like pulling teeth. I understand that generalizing a complete catalogue of strains doesn't do them justice, but that said, I have noticed some commonalities. So now I'm forming my own opinions.

So far I've grown Critical Orange Punch and Colorado Cookies indoors, and Glueberry OG, Daiquiri Lime, and Cinderella Jack outdoors. I've found that DP strains seem to take a really long time to finish, frost up really late in the process, and tend to have dense buds and be decent producers. The buds are not nearly as frosty as the Meth or RocBud strains I've grown, so I would say they are not as good candidates for pressing. I'm totally looking from the outside in, but if I had to guess I would say that when DP is developing a strain and culling phenos, they are looking for size and density slightly ahead of frostiness and flavor, and I would say MG has the inverse priorities.

After I've done a few more indoor grows with the DP strains, I'm sure I'll round out my opinion of them. I'm looking forward to trying out Lemon Kix and Brooklyn Sunrise this winter, and if there's room, trying Glueberry OG again.

Here's some pics of the DL in the garage, for reference it's a couple of inches shy of 4ft. tall and in a 7 gallon pot --

08.22.21_dl.jpg

08.22.21_dl-bud.jpg

I've never tried dp outdoors but in dwc theultimates get HUGE. That I would like to try someday.... Outdoor dwc.
Sorry you got that mold. Hard to avoid in certain places. I'm going to try some outdoor ultimates next year, I'll probably have similar results.

Back