Dutch Passion Dutch Passion for outdoor med grow

I've never tried dp outdoors but in dwc theultimates get HUGE. That I would like to try someday.... Outdoor dwc.
Sorry you got that mold. Hard to avoid in certain places. I'm going to try some outdoor ultimates next year, I'll probably have similar results.
Yeah, huge seems to be what they are after. What was The Ultimate like - taste, smell, potency?

Unless you are in a really dry place, like desert dry (at least for the last 60 days), I wouldn't bother with DP strains outdoors. But who knows, you might have better luck than I did. :toke:

While growing it smells of citrus. Reminds me of grapefruit. I've smoked most of my last harvest but I got a couple jars left of the nicer buds that have been curing about 5months now. It smells some kinda spicy when I open the jar and the smoke is tasty, I would say spicy lemon. The high is satisfactory. I've had better and worse. I'll post a pic here in a bit

Got a flattop in thejar.
20210822_182703_Film1.jpg

I'm totally looking from the outside in, but if I had to guess I would say that when DP is developing a strain and culling phenos, they are looking for size and density slightly ahead of frostiness and flavor, and I would say MG has the inverse priorities.
I gotta disagree with you there. It seems to me Mephistos only priority in breeding is frostiness. I’ve grown out about 30 different Mephisto strains and most of em I haven’t cared much for flavor compared to Dutch Passion or any of my photo period strains. On the other hand every strain I’ve grown from Dutch passion, besides auto ultimate, have been extremely terpy. I even got about 6 or 7 jars that had daiquiri lime in it three years ago and they still reek of sour limes, even though they have had a ton of different strains in the same jars since then. I grow all of my auto flowers indoors though so our results may be a bit different because of that.

I gotta disagree with you there. It seems to me Mephistos only priority in breeding is frostiness. I’ve grown out about 30 different Mephisto strains and most of em I haven’t cared much for flavor compared to Dutch Passion or any of my photo period strains. On the other hand every strain I’ve grown from Dutch passion, besides auto ultimate, have been extremely terpy. I even got about 6 or 7 jars that had daiquiri lime in it three years ago and they still reek of sour limes, even though they have had a ton of different strains in the same jars since then. I grow all of my auto flowers indoors though so our results may be a bit different because of that.
I appreciate your comments, I'm just trying to find the patterns. I agree that Meph's strongest characteristic has been frostiness, and flavor is hit or miss with them. It's nice to hear that Daiquiri Lime has some outstanding qualities, if that one finishes it'll be the biggest producer of my summer so we'll have a couple of jars of that one around. Last year the biggest producer by far -- almost twice as big as all the others -- was a Mephisto Walter White weighing in at over 11oz. It had little flavor/smell and what it had wasn't great, so the entire plant was made into hash.

So far within my limited experience, that's what I'm finding: a plant is beautiful and purple, but not very potent -- or huge, but doesn't smell good -- or frosty as hell but doesn't produce much... or any combination of good and bad attributes. I guess "checking all the boxes" is what everyone is after.

I've never tried dp outdoors but in dwc the ultimates get HUGE.
The high is satisfactory. I've had better and worse.

That's sort of my point in the previous post, seems like most of the time for a plant to excel at one thing, it loses something else. Maybe that's just life.

Yeah can't have it all I guess. Good workhorse strain though. After I harvest the seed from the ultimate I got now I thought it would be fun to try some crosses with other autos.
I don't know about lost anything though. What are we comparing it to?
Oh I forgot. It seemslike there might be some black art for increasing stank and resin. I think a long cure done well is a big part. Some folks use uv lights to increase resin. There is talk about darkperiod at the end but I don't really think that one is legit.

Last edited:
I'm sorry for your loss due to the weather.
Thanks for sharing your grow! You ran some I've been interested in for indoors and did well with them.
Some things that can damage terpines & flavor are too much light/heat in late flower, and drying too quickly and/or too thoroughly. Look at your whole girl, not just for that "ambering up" that an auto won't always do to satisfaction.
edit: yeah, proper dry and cure gotta happen; patience is a must!

Last edited:
Nice grow with some bad luck. This was one of the grows that didn't get much attention from the group, that's a shame. Does this mean a second grow to get the stores where they need to be for the year? If so, tag me in I'd like to follow it.

Ultimates do get big. I'm finishing one up right now and a couple of the colas are as thick as a 2 litre coke bottle. If you are growing outdoors and mould is an issue then it might not suit the ultimate. I've had one cola too get taken by bud rot but the rest are fine. My humidity sits around 55%

Back