Flowering Stage

PuffPasties

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
When does the flowering stage officially begin with respect to a single event occurring? At the very first sign of a Bract? First Calyx, Stigma or Trichome?

Yep - new here. Old everywhere else. Thanks, folks!

*Edit: It was determined below that the flowering stage occurs at the end of the stretch. That's the benchmark, here.

Last edited:
My opinion here as I'm not an expert but when first pistils appear is pre flowering stage. (Showing sex) which means get ready for the start of the stretch. Then in the next few weeks you'll notice the buds forming which is flowering stage.

Upvote 0
Hey @PuffPasties , @_~JAB~_ is correct. At the start of pre-flower, photo or auto, at the nodes or crotches you’ll start seeing white hairs coming out of a teardrop indicating female and start of preflower. Preflower continues until the “stretch” is over. Some heavy indica strains might barely stretch while heavy sativa leaning will usually double in height. When this is complete, your white hairs at the beginning have turned into pompom’s of hairs and flowering is in gear. When you get closer to harvest you’ll want an eye loop to check the trichomes. The visible “frost” on the flowers. Check multiple spots on the plant. Clear will be a racy quick high. Milky is the peak of thc development. Amber is the degradation of thc to cbd/cbn. I usually harvest when the calyx’s under the buds are all milky with a touch of amber.

Upvote 0
Hey @PuffPasties , @_~JAB~_ is correct. At the start of pre-flower, photo or auto, at the nodes or crotches you’ll start seeing white hairs coming out of a teardrop indicating female and start of preflower. Preflower continues until the “stretch” is over. Some heavy indica strains might barely stretch while heavy sativa leaning will usually double in height. When this is complete, your white hairs at the beginning have turned into pompom’s of hairs and flowering is in gear. When you get closer to harvest you’ll want an eye loop to check the trichomes. The visible “frost” on the flowers. Check multiple spots on the plant. Clear will be a racy quick high. Milky is the peak of thc development. Amber is the degradation of thc to cbd/cbn. I usually harvest when the calyx’s under the buds are all milky with a touch of amber.
Sorry, I seem to be ramble typing… little stoned…

Upvote 0
Ok, got it. So the single occurring event that indicates an actual flower stage is in gear is the end of the stretch, correct?

I'm running Fox Farms soil and nutes and was led to believe that I shouldn't feed nutes until after flowering has started. That might be a lie, and is likely what got me into a bit of trouble with my first grow.

My understanding is now that If the bracts are appear, I'm preflower and the stretch is about to occur but I'm not truly yet in flowering stage. And I should start nutes at preflower to facilitate that upcoming stretch. Is that an agreeable notion? This is all being clarified for my next grow.

Thanks and feel free ramble on to no end. I'm out here to read and learn.

Upvote 0
If your using fox farm trio (grow big, big bloom and tiger bloom) I use that as well and I start my tiger bloom on week 5 going into 6 normally unless the plant is seriously stunted then maybe earlier.

Upvote 0
There's a lot of people around here that use happy frog. I'm not one of them. But they pretty much all start to feed around week 4. Ocean Forest seems like it's too hot for autos. But just type happy frog into the search here and read through the posts and you'll get ideas :pass:
And :welcome:to AFN

Upvote 0
lol I use to be the same way... Here is my Mephisto 24 Carat she has reached early flower stage. Look at how the white pistols are stacking. Hope this helps..Remember never stop growing

Attachments

• 20240306_194129.jpg
    20240306_194129.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
Upvote 0
Ok, got it. So the single occurring event that indicates an actual flower stage is in gear is the end of the stretch, correct?

I'm running Fox Farms soil and nutes and was led to believe that I shouldn't feed nutes until after flowering has started. That might be a lie, and is likely what got me into a bit of trouble with my first grow.

My understanding is now that If the bracts are appear, I'm preflower and the stretch is about to occur but I'm not truly yet in flowering stage. And I should start nutes at preflower to facilitate that upcoming stretch. Is that an agreeable notion? This is all being clarified for my next grow.

Thanks and feel free ramble on to no end. I'm out here to read and learn.
Ok yes at the end of stretch you should have the pompoms those build into mature flowers. I am not a user of the FF but you should start the transition to flower nutes after the 5th week? Is that FF limit? Not sure, real stoned now. Lol

Upvote 0
There's a lot of people around here that use happy frog. I'm not one of them. But they pretty much all start to feed around week 4. Ocean Forest seems like it's too hot for autos. But just type happy frog into the search here and read through the posts and you'll get ideas :pass:
And :welcome:to AFN
Thank you!

Upvote 0
Back