Grow your own in the outdoor heat,maybe Australia!!

Had a little bit of reprieve last week with temps in the mid 30s but looks like another hot few days to come. Giving the podcast a listen now mate, so far so good :thumbsup:. When does your outdoor season kick off this year man?
Screenshot_20190211-072242_Chrome.jpg
@DTOM420

The little D.P auto glueberry is ticking along quite nicely. Receiving 2.5 ml/ltr biobizz grow. Has been spending its days outdoors from daylight until after lunch then back inside under CFL . Although they will live through the heat ,they will do a lot better if you can get them out of the most intense 3 or 4 hours during the day when over 37c or so when they are young.
20190211_080448.jpg

Last edited:
Ooof! You’re reminding me of what’s coming in a few months. Lol!

Ok so now our little girl is ready for her forever home. Before I transplant my girls i like to check the weather and try and get them out when there's going to be a little bit of a break in the heat. The next couple of days has a high of 36c so perfect timing. I like to use cardboard to line my pots as it helps keep moisture in and heat out. After transplant I like to give the pots a good soaking with a liquid seaweed extract, this seems to help with stress. Have also bumped the nutes(biobizz grow) up to 3ml/ltr. I will only let them receive direct sunlight until the real heat of the day sets in around 1pm and then move to dappled shade for a couple days to try and reduce any stress on them. Usually by the time your leaves are in line with the edge of your pot its transplant time. A well timed transplant should cause very little stress for your plants and you will notice growth within 24hrs usually!
20190215_081555.jpg
20190214_182708.jpg
20190214_182630.jpg
20190214_182621.jpg
20190214_182217.jpg

Hey mate :pass:, they are looking great, good idea keeping the young ones out of the sun, lol already fried the Nimbin seedling, probably be a male anyway or too large. You just peal away the carboard, and lift the seedling out for the final pot. I burnt one of my girls in the 36c heatwave abit a few days back.

I don't use any cardboard in the 1gal pots I start in just line their final pot with it. It stays in the pot until the plant is finished. When transplanting I give my seedlings a good watering an hour or so before turn it upside down and give the bottom of the pot a couple of taps and then slide the 1gallon pot off gently. If done just right it shouldn't damage the root system at all! Alternatively you can use these.https://www.autoflower.org/threads/...ictorial-and-root-restriction-stunting.64509/ unlucky burning your seedling mate, was she sun conditioned before the heat? 36c shouldn't be too bad for them if they're hardened off before hand. I'm only putting mine in dappled sunlight on 36c days to try and reduce stress after their transplant. In a couple of days they will be exposed to high heat and intense sun again all day to make use of as much daylight as possible
Hey mate :pass:, they are looking great, good idea keeping the young ones out of the sun, lol already fried the Nimbin seedling, probably be a male anyway or too large. You just peal away the carboard, and lift the seedling out for the final pot. I burnt one of my girls in the 36c heatwave abit a few days back.

Thanks mate for explaining, i get it now. I had been leaving the seedling out in the sun, couldve been the strong SE winds also, this nimbin seedling is very tall compared to the auto seedlings. I gave it water and it picked itself back up. I would say, not conditioned for all day sun on cooler day with SE winds. It couldve been nutes and the sun that affected just one of the girls. I need to sun harden the next grow, though being cooler months should be good :) excited to try to fit them in and harvest in July

I don't use any cardboard in the 1gal pots I start in just line their final pot with it. It stays in the pot until the plant is finished. When transplanting I give my seedlings a good watering an hour or so before turn it upside down and give the bottom of the pot a couple of taps and then slide the 1gallon pot off gently. If done just right it shouldn't damage the root system at all! Alternatively you can use these.https://www.autoflower.org/threads/...ictorial-and-root-restriction-stunting.64509/ unlucky burning your seedling mate, was she sun conditioned before the heat? 36c shouldn't be too bad for them if they're hardened off before hand. I'm only putting mine in dappled sunlight on 36c days to try and reduce stress after their transplant. In a couple of days they will be exposed to high heat and intense sun again all day to make use of as much daylight as possible

How goes things in the heat down under?? Looking for some updates - it’s been a while.

Sorry for being so slack with the updates peeps :smoking:.

Ok so our plant is going great I think! Up until a couple of days ago she was receiving 4ml/ltr biobizz grow and half strength cal/mag. She's now getting 3ml/ltr grow and 2ml/Ltr bloom. I like to start giving bloom 7 to 10 days after showing sex, depending on plants development. Also a couple of days ago I topped up her pot with mushroom compost and added a little more mulch. I haven't measured her but she must be getting close to 3 feet tall now. I have done no training on her at all, the only thing I have done is remove the lowest set of satellites. I don't like to defoliant yo much in veg as I think it's just removing the plants solar panels! Usually when bloom really kicks in I will remove most stuff that will only produce popcorn so the plant can put more energy into the decent buds. I will also remove leaves here and there that are blocking bud sights. I may start trying down her branches a little in the coming days, depending on when she slows down stretching. She has put up with a lot of days from 38c-43c and handled it well, due largely to the fact that the humidity has always been over 55% I think.
20190225_182403.jpg
20190225_182140.jpg
20190225_182132.jpg
20190225_182108.jpg
20190225_181931.jpg

Back