How Do I lower soil ph?

Kilbarrog

Welcome to the CannaZone
Reaction score
Hi
How do I lower the ph of my organic soil?
I'm using Light Mix & BioBizz nutes.
I've had problems with other grows & this grow I got a cheap ph meter to check & my soil is 7-7.6
I ph my feed to 6.5 & I'm using RO water & I was lead to believe that the soil would buffer itself
They are on day 22 from seed.
I snapped the main stem on one of them last night & immediately taped it up. It looks fine today.

Any help is desperately needed as I've done a few grows & none of them have turned out right
IMG_20231220_193230.jpg
IMG_20231220_193225.jpg
IMG_20231220_193214.jpg
IMG_20231220_193206.jpg

If it’s a needle style meter I wouldn’t trust its accuracy. If it’s a calibrated digital model soil ph meter then I’d trust it. I’ve been reading about alkalinity build up in soil and it’s effect on soil ph long term and even small amounts each watering eventually build up enough to raise soil ph. Starting with clean water(like you are with RO) and PHing to 6.2-6.4 range is a safe bet. I don’t see anything wrong with your plants are you seeing anything?

If it’s a needle style meter I wouldn’t trust its accuracy. If it’s a calibrated digital model soil ph meter then I’d trust it. I’ve been reading about alkalinity build up in soil and it’s effect on soil ph long term and even small amounts each watering eventually build up enough to raise soil ph. Starting with clean water(like you are with RO) and PHing to 6.2-6.4 range is a safe bet. I don’t see anything wrong with your plants are you seeing anything?
Thanks for the reply
It's a cheap needle style (cost €20 from a garden centre) but I thought I'd get a few accurate readings to tell me here I am.
Never problems in veg. But literally like clockwork in week 2 or 3 of flowering, the leaves start to turn brown & all are dead by week 9 or 10.
I tried calmag, I tried pk boosters & nothing worked.
I'm on a real budget, so I was going to try the liquid soil testers

Btw, I forgot to mention I'm also using Bud Candy at 1ml a litre, along with 4ml a litre of Root Juice & 1 ml of Fish Mix

These plants all look on point to me :pass: Biobizz says it should be at 6.2-6.5. So maybe lower the feed pH a little, to maybe 5.8-6.2 and it'll rise a little. But looks like whatever you're doing currently is working well. I wouldn't change much at all at this point. You also don't need any bud candy until the last couple weeks before chop

Thanks for the reply
It's a cheap needle style (cost €20 from a garden centre) but I thought I'd get a few accurate readings to tell me here I am.
Never problems in veg. But literally like clockwork in week 2 or 3 of flowering, the leaves start to turn brown & all are dead by week 9 or 10.
I tried calmag, I tried pk boosters & nothing worked.
I'm on a real budget, so I was going to try the liquid soil testers

Btw, I forgot to mention I'm also using Bud Candy at 1ml a litre, along with 4ml a litre of Root Juice & 1 ml of Fish Mix
I agree, the cheap garden store ph meters are not accurate in the slightest. You should be fine as long as your inputs are in the right range.

If it’s a needle style meter I wouldn’t trust its accuracy. If it’s a calibrated digital model soil ph meter then I’d trust it. I’ve been reading about alkalinity build up in soil and it’s effect on soil ph long term and even small amounts each watering eventually build up enough to raise soil ph. Starting with clean water(like you are with RO) and PHing to 6.2-6.4 range is a safe bet. I don’t see anything wrong with your plants are you seei

These plants all look on point to me :pass: Biobizz says it should be at 6.2-6.5. So maybe lower the feed pH a little, to maybe 5.8-6.2 and it'll rise a little. But looks like whatever you're doing currently is working well. I wouldn't change much at all at this point. You also don't need any bud candy until the last couple weeks before chop
The problem starts in flowering. I posted this picture here on my last grow. This is day 42 from seed & you can see the problems already. I thought it was a calmag problem since I had started to use RO water.

I started the Bud Candy as Advanced Nutrients recommend it.
1703115681116.jpeg

1703115664678.jpeg

The problem starts in flowering. I posted this picture here on my last grow. This is day 42 from seed & you can see the problems already. I thought it was a calmag problem since I had started to use RO water.

I started the Bud Candy as Advanced Nutrients recommend it.
View attachment 1654420
View attachment 1654419
Looks like a classic case of too much nitrogen. Maybe lacking calcium or magnesium if its not locked out by too much nitrogen.

Edit, N tox will lock out calcium, which in return will build up amd lock out magnesium. Happens very quickly after flowering is started and the plants "diet" changes

Last edited:
How do I lower the ph of my organic soil?
I'm using Light Mix & BioBizz nutes.
Haven't used that, but I grow in organic soil only and have no idea what the PH of it is...I roughly PH my water to the mid 6s with drops, and have no issues until the plants start dying if the environment is good :shrug:

How many gallons of soil per plant?

Looks like a classic case of too much nitrogen. Maybe lacking calcium or magnesium if its not locked out by too much nitrogen.

Edit, N tox will lock out calcium, which in return will build up amd lock out magnesium. Happens very quickly after flowering is started and the plants "diet" changes
Appreciate the input
The Biobizz feeding chart recommends 2ml of Fish Mix during veg per litre of water.
I'm only giving them 1ml per litre & 4ml of Root Juice. It recommends 1-4ml of Root Juice

Haven't used that, but I grow in organic soil only and have no idea what the PH of it is...I roughly PH my water to the mid 6s with drops, and have no issues until the plants start dying if the environment is good :shrug:

How many gallons of soil per plant?
The 3 Zkittlez Auto's are in 6.5 litre pots. The Mimosa Lemon Auto is in an 11 litre pot.
They're getting 1.25 litres of water every 3 days.

Back