Insects: The good, The Bad, and the Bugly

On a whim this spring I dropped a couple of Mephisto mystery seeds. My yard is full of all kinds of bugs and critters and I've given up any serious attempts to grow outdoors.

A couple of helpers showed up this year:
lVGdQku.jpg

YaaEg2p.jpg

Awesome pics! Thanks for sharing!

cool2.gif
:greenthumb: :d5:--- great stuff mates!

>> Don Skelly
, I love those Buddha and bugs moments- :zen: ...you snapped some fine pics too man, well done,...:biggrin:... those little wasps are awesome! ..and mighty they are indeed,...
best example I can think of on that is with the most feared, take-all-comers, unstoppable predators in the America's jungles-- Army ants! They will kill and butcher anything they can take down or can't get away, regardless of size,...people may die first of suffocation because they are crawling into the airways- :yoinks: bite-sting, bite-sting,... So in classic Mother Nature irony, their worst enemy is guess what? -- tiny parasitic wasps!.... them, and the freaky-ass fungal infection that zombies them into climbing up to the top of a plant, latching on and dying, then sprouting insane looking mushroom outta their heads! :wiz: ...f'ing-A, what a way to go,... Anyway, the leaf cutter ants have several castes (body/duty types), and one of them is a super-mini version who's entire purpose is to ride on the other bigger ants and defend against these wasps! :tang:

... the metallic green one, that's a hover fly isn't it? I love those guys, the flight stability and movement is like no other insect I know of,... hummingbird equivalents! The sheer stillness they can show, it's like looking at a picture (when baked)..:rofl:
...butterflys and moths,... love their beauty,... but curse their vermin-ass children though!
w1.jpg
<<-- this one, what's white in the pic was silver in life-- gorgeous!

bf1.jpg
bf2.jpg

>>>> my favorite visitor that year though was this burly jumping spider -->

s1.jpg
s3.jpg
s5.jpg

>>> @_RedACD_
... cooool,... I found one this year too,....
d1.jpg
d2.jpg
d6.jpg

>> Don Skelly, I love those Buddha and bugs moments- :zen: ...you snapped some fine pics too man, well done,...:biggrin:... those little wasps are awesome! ..and mighty they are indeed,...
best example I can think of on that is with the most feared, take-all-comers, unstoppable predators in the America's jungles-- Army ants! They will kill and butcher anything they can take down or can't get away, regardless of size,...people may die first of suffocation because they are crawling into the airways- :yoinks: bite-sting, bite-sting,... So in classic Mother Nature irony, their worst enemy is guess what? -- tiny parasitic wasps!.... them, and the freaky-ass fungal infection that zombies them into climbing up to the top of a plant, latching on and dying, then sprouting insane looking mushroom outta their heads! :wiz: ...f'ing-A, what a way to go,... Anyway, the leaf cutter ants have several castes (body/duty types), and one of them is a super-mini version who's entire purpose is to ride on the other bigger ants and defend against these wasps! :tang:

That is so friggin cool!! Haha ride on there backs to defend against the wasps...thats amazing!!

Yeah butterflies are beautiful...but yeah caterpillars suck!! Amazing pics!!

got some new buggy pics!! It was windy and it was one heck of a trick to get the pics today!!

2 bugs screwing on the fruity chronic juice...its okay i let them go....was this a mistake @Waira ? Are they good or bad bugs? I seem to think crane fly?

img_7404-jpg.921355

img_7405-jpg.921356

img_7406-jpg.921357

After going down a rabbit hole of the internet looking at bugs, I found this really moving video on cicadas:

I am way to high for this:yeahthat: it seems like a metaphor for life :pass:

I was camping when I worked for the forestry service and had those suckers come out at night. Creepy lil guys.

Back