Insects: The good, The Bad, and the Bugly

:thumbsup: really interesting spider J', the colors and markings are pretty! Did she set up a web?
She caught my eye, I didn't have many spiders in there.I'm afraid it was harvest time in the greenhouse though lol...but really I lost track of her. Things were happening fast.:amazon::pass:

@Frosty Budz ..sorry we didn't see this sooner mate! yes, we know those fuckers all too well,.. Bud Worms (caterpillars), usually attck flower bud, but they apparently can eat actual buds too, resin and all,.. worse they open up the bud to infection by mld, as well as crapping all over the place,... at this stage, nothing to do but scan the buds constantly and snip away the fouled buds at the stem, never just chop through a bud,.. dab some peroxide or alcohol on the open stem cuts to help reduce mold chances of starting,.. do during day so the cuts can dry and seal some as well,... Fighting these bastards is a real war,.. eggs are laid individually or in small clusters on leaf underside, very tough to spot,... during bloom, you are of course severely restricted in what you can use to treat and kill, and not all will snuff the eggs,... look into a product called SNS209, it's a systemic made form a form of rosemary oil,..it's worked very well for me outside! It's not strongly aromatics at all, and doesn't make the plant smell like rosemary, it makes the sap taste bad... Only caveat is that you have to stop treating 2-3 weeks before harvest so it can metabolize out, so there's a small window of vulnerability there where you have to hawk the plants like a freak,.. look up bud worms to see what the moth looks like so when you see them about you can waste them! :amazon:

Damn this brings back memories. This is my main concern as I had to deal with this 5 years ago when I did an outdoor grow. I will be doing an outdoor this year, and this is the information I need lol. I luckily caught the problem before they ruined the all the plants. I probably lost 25% of my harvest that year due to these bastards. I was just hoping and praying I didn't find more while I was harvesting. Sadly I did find a little more, but not to bad. I wouldn't want to use neem oil since I don't want that stuff in my buds. Thanks for the information! I know it wasn't a reply to me, but I was about to ask about this specific pest. Would growing something like tobacco near the cannabis plants help? I've heard tobacco is a good pesticide.

:smoking: Cheers Neko', it's all good!
...yeah, those bastards are difficult to stave off - :cuss:-- they like geraniums too, and those are also loaded with terpenes,.. Nicotine is toxic for sure, but the plant itself won't do anything to help really,... The moth targets plants pretty specifically, and I'm betting it's the aroma/terpenes that draws them in. I never see the caterpillar before buds are well formed.
I don't like residues of any sort on my buds either - :nono:... usually I do a lighter version of the so-called bud wash regardless.... Even a Bt spray isn't going to be very effective since the little shits burrow in right away, and the spray doesn't penetrate that deeply to say nothing of the mold risks from it...

>>> here's a suspect type moth- :rofl:
1580026250179.png
1580026354936.png

Found this little guy, just chilling out, on the top growth of my Liberty Haze when i checked my plants this morning :
View attachment 926677

I had a Pink and white frilly one... :biggrin: ..I'd never heard of a pink spider so it came as a bit of a shock...

IMG_6772.JPG

Down below no show....

IMG_6773.JPG

On the head..bug sex with a load of black aphids watching...:crying:

:smoking: Cheers Neko', it's all good!
...yeah, those bastards are difficult to stave off - :cuss:-- they like geraniums too, and those are also loaded with terpenes,.. Nicotine is toxic for sure, but the plant itself won't do anything to help really,... The moth targets plants pretty specifically, and I'm betting it's the aroma/terpenes that draws them in. I never see the caterpillar before buds are well formed.
I don't like residues of any sort on my buds either - :nono:... usually I do a lighter version of the so-called bud wash regardless.... Even a Bt spray isn't going to be very effective since the little shits burrow in right away, and the spray doesn't penetrate that deeply to say nothing of the mold risks from it...

>>> here's a suspect type moth- :rofl:
View attachment 1152943View attachment 1152944
Dang! So those caterpillars are from those moths?
I need to get another grow tent, so I wont have to deal with these things haha. My friend did a grow here last year, and he didn't get any caterpillars in the buds at all. So maybe it was a one time thing, I am hoping lol. You should have seen how bad it was that year......I am traumatized from it ha.

:rofl: -- I feel your pain! They are double destructive by opening wounds that mold can get into, plus their damn turds are like fertilizer for the pathogens as well = :finger:,.... You know, one thing I've been thinking about is how to screen the grow area off outside... a simple frame (even a lean-to) and some actual window screen material is all that's needed. The screen will not cut the light strength much and will keep nearly all flying pests out.. Only gnats, maybe aphids could get through...

:rofl: -- I feel your pain! They are double destructive by opening wounds that mold can get into, plus their damn turds are like fertilizer for the pathogens as well = :finger:,.... You know, one thing I've been thinking about is how to screen the grow area off outside... a simple frame (even a lean-to) and some actual window screen material is all that's needed. The screen will not cut the light strength much and will keep nearly all flying pests out.. Only gnats, maybe aphids could get through...
Yea those punks are the worst. I can deal with aphids and gnats easily. Those bud words were the most devastating. Anywho, that sounds like a good idea! I was thinking of something similar, and the best part is my grow space would be easy to do this with. Since they are delivered by those mothy looking things right?
I'll have to look around amazon to see what I can find for gardening screening. I am going to be checking my buds like a mad man checking for those little ass holes lol. :cuss:

Ok, so I found something that should help keeping them away. If your grow area can be easily barricaded with this stuff. My spot is set up so I would just have to attach it to the top of the tall fencing. If you are in a wide open area, then perhaps by some cheap pvc piping, and make a square/rectangling around your grow area. Then cover it with this stuff.
Search in Amazon for "
10'x12' Mosquito Bug Insect Bird Net Barrier Hunting Blind Garden Netting for Protect Your Plant Fruits Flower
"

I am going to buy this for my defense against those damn bugs. Cheers guys!:smokeout:

Gl
Ok, so I found something that should help keeping them away. If your grow area can be easily barricaded with this stuff. My spot is set up so I would just have to attach it to the top of the tall fencing. If you are in a wide open area, then perhaps by some cheap pvc piping, and make a square/rectangling around your grow area. Then cover it with this stuff.
Search in Amazon for "
10'x12' Mosquito Bug Insect Bird Net Barrier Hunting Blind Garden Netting for Protect Your Plant Fruits Flower
"

I am going to buy this for my defense against those damn bugs. Cheers guys!:smokeout:
Glad to see you back on afn man I remember you from years ago an i enjoyed seeing your grows .

Back