Let's talk about HST

Rasterman

Alienated by the War on Drugs
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Mango Smile
I'm still a new grower and in my first couple of auto grows I was scared to remove any vegetation whatsoever. Then I read here about people topping autos. In my current grow I tried that and got exceptional results. I gained confidence and even did some HST this weekend.

So now I'm thinking that there's some bro-science here. I know autos are on a ticking clock.

I've learned a lot doing things my own way in my year of growing. Some of those lessons are due to terrible mistakes I've made, however.

So I'm asking the community if anyone uses HST techniques with autos, what worked and what didn't. Please add those things to this thread.

I'm still a new grower and in my first couple of auto grows I was scared to remove any vegetation whatsoever. Then I read here about people topping autos. In my current grow I tried that and got exceptional results. I gained confidence and even did some HST this weekend.

So now I'm thinking that there's some bro-science here. I know autos are on a ticking clock.

I've learned a lot doing things my own way in my year of growing. Some of those lessons are due to terrible mistakes I've made, however.

So I'm asking the community if anyone uses HST techniques with autos, what worked and what didn't. Please add those things to this thread.
Welcome to AFN. I am less than new to AFN and autos and You have already learned all you need to know about HST. Top above the fourth node and super crop if needed in your space. Defoliate late in flower down low for better air flow. Done!

I have honestly tried them all SOG, SCROG, Manifold, Pony Tail, Lollipop, Heavy Defoliation and anything else I may be forgetting. Most of them are too much work and there is little gain in yield. The method I am using now provides the highest quality bud of any method I have tried.

Now if you want to talk about Photoperiod plants that is a whole different world where a manifold and a scrog will double or tripple yield from a single plant. The limiting factors indoors are lights and space

Have Fun.

The idea that you shouldn't HST autos is from the early auto days. Nowadays the genetics are stronger and home growers' lights are powerful and more efficient. If you've got a decent light there's no problem using a small amount of HST on autos :smokeit:

Welcome to AFN. I am less than new to AFN and autos and You have already learned all you need to know about HST. Top above the fourth node and super crop if needed in your space. Defoliate late in flower down low for better air flow. Done!

I have honestly tried them all SOG, SCROG, Manifold, Pony Tail, Lollipop, Heavy Defoliation and anything else I may be forgetting. Most of them are too much work and there is little gain in yield. The method I am using now provides the highest quality bud of any method I have tried.

Now if you want to talk about Photoperiod plants that is a whole different world where a manifold and a scrog will double or tripple yield from a single plant. The limiting factors indoors are lights and space

Have Fun.
That's really good news - thanks!

Have Fun.
What method are you using?

What method are you using?
I top Autos above the 4th node. Then I defoliate a little in late flower underneath to promote better air flow to help prevent molds.

ScreenHunter_146 Dec. 11 22.18.jpg

I've posted at length how I top and defoliate my autos. I don't top the way everyone else around here does, I wait a little longer. Like you said @Rasterman I think it's best to just try things for yourself.

The main reason I've been topping my autos is my height restriction in 2x2x3 tents. I'm not really even sure if it improves yield but I still get decent yields so I will probably keep doing it. My Main thing right now is trying bigger pots. Been growing in 1 liter and 1 gallon pots so I think that's the biggest factor when it comes to my yields.

I have 2 each of 5 strains going right now. Part of me wants to top one of each and just the other grow to see what happens. I think the non topped ones will get so tall though and the topped ones won't get enough light.

I always transplant, top and defoliate. I'm still experimenting with other techniques and getting more and more aggressive with defoliation. If I didn't aggressively defoliate like I do, one plant would almost fill my entire 5x5 tent.

I am about to experiment with scrog, just built my frame. I'm trying to force more even canopy and get less of the flowers that don't turn prime.

Back