MCT Oil- my next experiment

VitaMan

Clean Glass + New Whip
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Island Sweet Skunk, Comatose, el Chapo, and others.
Considering how readily our bodies absorb and utilize MCT, I would like to try using it to deliver cannabinoids. My sense is that it may have considerably faster onset than other oral oils.

Unlike normal coconut oil, the fractions in MCT oil are very light- it has the viscosity of grape seed oil. I have no idea if it is a better solvent than whole coconut oil.

Also unlike normal coconut oil is the cost. A 500ml bottle was a bit more than $20, and that was a bargain around here. (shh, don't tell the shopkeeper). Too small and expensive for the old fashioned method, because too much of the oil would be stuck in the waste.

I also have 2 extra bottles (total together 500ml) of very potent ever-clear tincture. My idea is to simply warm the oil in a double boiler and gradually add tincture to the warm oil only as quickly as it will evaporate, trying not to lose too many terps. I expect this will take over an hour and should transfer the medicine to the oil.

If I am right, and not just stoned, I will have a light gold oil with approximately the same strength of the tincture but less terpy.

Has anyone infused oil in this way? What were your observations i.e. what you would and would not do next time?

...I should add that both lecithin and B6 are used in my tincture process.

Last edited:
MCT is a great carrier for oil soluble extracts. It might be better route to simple make an RSO oil then combine the RSO into the MCT. MCT has a low flash point so be wary when warming it up.

...It might be better route to simple make an RSO oil then combine the RSO into the MCT.

Thanks for your suggestion M, and especially the heads up about the flash point.

I have a bunch of small bud and popcorn, which I intended to use for fresh tincture. The 500ml of tincture I plan to use is about 2-3 years old but well stored, and honestly, my tincture making skills have vastly improved since then, and I would rather make a fresh batch. (that is why I still have those 2 bottles!)

I am not set up for RSO, and I have never made it. It is a pretty simple procedure, though at this time there there would be added expenses for solvent and equipment where I already have the ethanol and gear to make new tinct and some old stock I am not likely to use.

Thinking out loud, I could make 125ml just to see if it works...

Thanks for your suggestion M, and especially the heads up about the flash point.

I have a bunch of small bud and popcorn, which I intended to use for fresh tincture. The 500ml of tincture I plan to use is about 2-3 years old but well stored, and honestly, my tincture making skills have vastly improved since then, and I would rather make a fresh batch. (that is why I still have those 2 bottles!)

I am not set up for RSO, and I have never made it. It is a pretty simple procedure, though at this time there there would be added expenses for solvent and equipment where I already have the ethanol and gear to make new tinct and some old stock I am not likely to use.

Thinking out loud, I could make 125ml just to see if it works...
thats a great approach. I usually make small batches before trying anything sizeable - just to test it. understandable about the solvent, etc. it is an added cost.

There is some basic equipment you can get for a QWET or QWISO extract if you are familiar. especially if all you plan to do is ingest it.

QWET or QWISO extract if you are familiar.

I have never been satisfied with QWET techniques. I have a method that is much more thorough and takes slightly more time. Actually, less time if you include the decarb.

I have made and dissolved BHO into oil, but I would rather not mess with butane any more. ISO's cheap. I can get 4L for less than the price of 750ml ever-clear 151.
AFAIK you can never get rid of the adulterant, and that is a concern with oral ingestion.

I am going to make 125 ml, and I will post my results.

Unlike normal coconut oil, the fractions in MCT oil are very light- it has the viscosity of grape seed oil. I have no idea if it is a better solvent than whole coconut oil.

I would imagine MCT oil would be a good solvent...but IMO unrefined coconut oil gives so many health benefits

I also have 2 extra bottles (total together 500ml) of very potent ever-clear tincture. My idea is to simply warm the oil in a double boiler and gradually add tincture to the warm oil only as quickly as it will evaporate, trying not to lose too many terps. I expect this will take over an hour and should transfer the medicine to the oil.
If I am right, and not just stoned, I will have a light gold oil with approximately the same strength of the tincture but less terpy.
Has anyone infused oil in this way? What were your observations i.e. what you would and would not do next time?

...I should add that both lecithin and B6 are used in my tincture process.

May I ask why you want to change the tincture to an oil?

I have reduced a tincture extraction down to almost RSO like and added that to salves. It mixes very easily into the oils.

Your two bottles of everclear tincture is all you need for RSO. Everclear is a much safer solvent IMO than naphtha, although you'll get more chlorophyll. Keep reducing it down to a thick tar like substance.

ISO's cheap. I can get 4L for less than the price of 750ml ever-clear 151.
AFAIK you can never get rid of the adulterant, and that is a concern with oral ingestion.

:pop:

I have never been satisfied with QWET techniques. I have a method that is much more thorough and takes slightly more time. Actually, less time if you include the decarb.

I have made and dissolved BHO into oil, but I would rather not mess with butane any more. ISO's cheap. I can get 4L for less than the price of 750ml ever-clear 151.

yes it is true that artifacts will always be in the finish product. But you can get them down below detection/harm levels. There are certainly more efficient processes that will draw more of it out.

Butane artifacts can certainly be an issue so I'm glad you are stopping using it! This is primarily why we use CO2 extraction (no artifacts!), but waaaay more pricey...especially the equipment! I think ethanol is fine as most products that contain flavor have a maximum of 0.5% ethanol concentration in them (contributed from the natural/artificial/organic flavor concentrate).

looking forward to seeing your results. take care!

... unrefined coconut oil gives so many health benefits, ...May I ask why you want to change the tincture to an oil?:pop:

Agreed with the benefits of raw coconut oil! It is the base of many of my concoctions.

The answer is pure curiosity. I have always been a bit of an herbal alchemist. :stir:

Athletes use MCT as quickly available energy. I want to see if I can make an oil from MCT that has a more rapid onset than other oils. If I am right, this quick transport could hasten the absorption of cannabinoids or other medicinals. I am also curious about whether or not the onset, peak, come down curve will be faster, stronger, and shorter lasting than other oral oils.

That, and this tincture has been sitting around. They are good, but not nearly as good as my current batch, so I have not been using it. If this was a disaster, I won't lose much 'cause it's not a commercial enterprise for me. At worst, I will have regular capsules. At best, it could be just the thing you need when you drag your aching self in after a late day and need something faster than other fats and longer lasting than tincture.

Finally had time to stink up the kitchen, and the results met my expectations. Here is the summary:

Objectives:
1) To produce a light MCT oil for oral ingestion, utilize excess tinctures
2) To answer: Compared to both raw oral coconut oil and to ETO tincture, does MCT result in: faster absorption; shorter onset; stronger effects; and longer/shorter duration?

Application method: Oral

Dose: 1ml @5:35pm on empty stomach

Time from baseline to onset: Less than 20 min

Peak: began at 90 min, intense at times. Come down began around 4h and lasted about 2 hours

Duration: approx 6 hours

Effects

Pain Reduction: 9

Body effects: 9

Mind effects: 7.5

Overall: 8.5

Description: First effects were felt quickly. Pain relief came soon after. Felt like floating, minimum fogginess. In fact was quite lucid and productive up to the comedown period, which was groggier. Pain relief lasted much longer than the experience. Even though effects had worn off long before bedtime, I slept very well. No hangover whatsoever.

Answers to objective questions:
  • Faster onset than other oral fats, slightly longer than tincture.
  • 1ml took was much stronger than 2ml sublingual or 4ml oral alcohol tincture. A 2ml dose would have been intense, and I would not take 3.
  • Lasted almost as long as oral.
Boiling the tincture down first would have been faster and less stinky.

Last edited:
Thanks, I've been wondering how this would work. I'm also curious if ethanol tincture can be homogenized with cold pressed coconut oil without evaporating the ethanol. I wonder if this would aid in good quick, deep penetration for topical application, such as for arthritis. Or, would the alcohol be more of a detriment to pain relief and healing for this condition. Hmmm...

Back