MCT Oil- my next experiment

... if ethanol tincture can be homogenized with cold pressed coconut oil without evaporating the ethanol.

Thanks. I have no idea if that is possible. There were constantly little "puddles" of alcohol on top of the oil. I stopped cooking when they pretty much disappeared. There was a tiny bit of foam, but once cooled nothing separated.

You might need something like Tween, but a chemist or pharmacist would know. I have had topical which I am sure were alcohol based, but those work on the surface and don't need to penetrate.

My coconut oil ointments have added lecithin, and they absorb very nicely.

I noticed lecithin on prescriptions and the pharmacist said they are good transporters. I have included it ever since.

MCT Experiment Part 2

First off, this stuff does nothing for my typing!

OK, for part 2, I put equal parts tincture and the MCT extract in a small dropper bottle, and shook vigorously (the bottle lol)

I took the same 1 ml dose of the mixture as I did with the oil alone but sublingualy.

The other difference is that I started with level 8-9 pain. Yesterday was my first assessment at a pain clinic. A physio, psychologist, and kinesiologist pushed me hard for 5 hours, plus there were other physical demands to the day.

It came on fast like a tincture, but lasted longer. Subjectively, the peak was sooner/higher. Too soon to say about the duration- I dosed at 9:45 and at 2:00 I still have a light buzz and pain relief.

This is it. :woohoo:This is what I was looking for! Quick, strong, lasting meds for those long, late days.

But curiosity never ends....now I am wondering about a sativa tincture with an indica oil...

Hey @VitaMan is it the MCT C8 oil you used for this? Have been using this, mixed with my RSO for a while. At first it gave me the runs :haha:

I simply add the mct to the rso, small pot in oven. Heat to 50c for 90 mins whilst mixing occasionally.

Can't say I notice a massive difference from coconut oil. Just hoping its having more of an effect on my insides.

Hey @VitaMan is it the MCT C8 oil you used for this? Have been using this, mixed with my RSO for a while. At first it gave me the runs :haha:

I simply add the mct to the rso, small pot in oven. Heat to 50c for 90 mins whilst mixing occasionally.

Can't say I notice a massive difference from coconut oil. Just hoping its having more of an effect on my insides.

I don't know/remember what C8 is. The oil I used is a thin liquid, perhaps lighter than grape seed or peanut oils. If I take a teaspoon of it, sometimes it bothers my tummy but at these low amounts it was no problem.

For intestinal health, I bet raw coconut oil is probably superior.

I don't know if this will help your insides: I have made suppositories out of infused coconut oil by pouring it into a candy mold and putting it into the freezer. Then each is wrapped in wax paper and kept cold until use. You have to be quick when you apply them because they melt really fast. Also, not one for going out, in case you leak.

Tinctures raise my tolerance quickly, so I use them for short times only. The same was true of the MCT/Ethanol mix unfortunately.

While I liked my product, and it was a fun experiment, I am not sure the benefits matched the costs and labor intensity. I would rather combine tincture and a few extra puffs of vapor on those extra rough days. I always have both on hand and I keep an extra tincture bottle in my bed table.

If I do this again, I will just directly infuse the MCT oil with hash oil. The alcohol was simply because I had a huge surplus.

Thanks for the reply @VitaMan

This is the mct ive been using
IMG_1227.JPG

I don't know/remember what C8 is. The oil I used is a thin liquid, perhaps lighter than grape seed or peanut oils. If I take a teaspoon of it, sometimes it bothers my tummy but at these low amounts it was no problem.

For intestinal health, I bet raw coconut oil is probably superior.

I don't know if this will help your insides: I have made suppositories out of infused coconut oil by pouring it into a candy mold and putting it into the freezer. Then each is wrapped in wax paper and kept cold until use. You have to be quick when you apply them because they melt really fast. Also, not one for going out, in case you leak.

Tinctures raise my tolerance quickly, so I use them for short times only. The same was true of the MCT/Ethanol mix unfortunately.

While I liked my product, and it was a fun experiment, I am not sure the benefits matched the costs and labor intensity. I would rather combine tincture and a few extra puffs of vapor on those extra rough days. I always have both on hand and I keep an extra tincture bottle in my bed table.

If I do this again, I will just directly infuse the MCT oil with hash oil. The alcohol was simply because I had a huge surplus.

Thanks for the reply @VitaMan

This is the mct ive been using View attachment 849196
Ah- caprilic acid! It is one of 4 or 5 triglicerides. No wonder it gave you tummy trouble. Caprilic Acid is used by naturopaths to kill candida and clean you out.

The MCT oil I use is a blend of the fractions rather than purified caprilic acid. And it tastes mild- I could have gagged on the caprilic acid.

Another look at he label, I didn't know there's a connection between CA and ketones, but what I really don't know why people would want to produce more ketones.

Sometimes athletes and bodybuilders do something called "carbo loading" They starve themselves of carbohydrates until the body goes into emergency mode and makes ketones, then they suddenly gorge on potatoes rice, pasta etc. The body's cells fill up with fluid and glycogen, ready for the big contest.

They save this for the big events, not training, because it is very stressful for the body- ketogenesis is an emergency state!

that's very interesting @VitaMan There appears to be a ketogenesis movement fad/diet coming along. I know of a few brain cancer patients, who swear by it for helping them along. Tho, their obviously doing it for extreme reasons.

that's very interesting @VitaMan There appears to be a ketogenesis movement fad/diet coming along. I know of a few brain cancer patients, who swear by it for helping them along. Tho, their obviously doing it for extreme reasons.

Extreme reasons is right! I don't know anything about ketones and cancer, so maybe it helps.

I remember when people were trying to return protein powder because "it causes kidney disease" which is false. The truth is that if you have kidney disease, extra protein can be hard on the kidneys. Another period of people returning Vit C because "it thickens the arterial walls" and writers spun it to mean plaque. Actually the thickening is collagen within the walls- the stretchy stuff our arteries need to regulate flow and pressure. I could go on.

After decades of working in the nutrition industry it was clear that there are those who will sell sawdust as the latest cure or enhancer, others who spread misinformation accidentally, still others that jump on a bandwagon with products, so I tend to look with a critical mind.

Back