Mephisto Show Grows 2023 Mephisto Test Strains: Walter White BX1 & Old School Mango Haze

Mephisto Show Grows 2023
Germination
  • Germination:

Both seeds popped in less than 24 hours of being soaked. They were then transferred to Jiffy starter pellets which were soaked in the same distilled water/sea kelp solution. After another short 24 hours we have successful germination with both heads showing and seed shells dropped.

Germination and Day 1 for both strains is 5/15

3 gallon Airpots
    Mother Earth Coco
    Jacks 3-2-1 nutrients
    9" Hydro Halos

Walter White BX1

WWBX1-germ2.JPG

WWBX1-germ.JPG

Old School Mango Haze:

OSMH-germ2.JPG

OSMH-germ.JPG

Sex - OSMH
  • Day 29 - Start of week 5:

The start of another week. The Old School Mango Haze is showing sex. I believe. Watering, I went 4 days which was too much and got 0 runoff so it looks like time to move to once a day every day.

Current fertigations since last update:

6/7 - 1L in 391ml out @ 571ppm
    6/11 - 1L in 0 runoff (yikes!) This is what I look for to determine volume and frequency changes.

New batch of nutrients mixed - 593ppm @6.2ph ( I did add some pH down )
    6/12 1L in 226ml out @ 711ppm

Slightly elevated runoffppm count but that is fine, input is ~600ppm so as long as it doesn't exceed 900ppm.

Pics: Topped and some LST applied. A bit later than ideal but growing well.

osmg - D29 A.JPG

Right in the middle there:

osmh - D29 B.JPG

Close up: Pistils?

osmh - D29 C.JPG

Applied some pipe cleaners.

osmh - lst.JPG

Walter White BX1: Still looking a bit unhappy but growing visibly from week to week. I swapped the location of the plants in the tent just in case there is something bothering the WW.

Fertigation since last update:

6/7 1L in 392ml runoff at 571ppm
    6/11 1L in with 0 runoff. Increasing fertigation to 1L everyday

New batch of nutrients mixed: 593ppm @6.2pH ( added some pH down to bring it to 5.8, let the up creep work over the next few days)

6/12 1L in with 574ml runoff @ 540ppm
    Lots of runoff, coco was still wet despite 0 runoff yesterday, ppm is below input so the plant is using the nutrients despite looking a bit tatty.

WWBX1 - D29.JPG

Kinda mopey looking. I will let this plant finish but I think I am going to start another seed of this soon and journal that one with the same parameters and see if it looks differently. No signs of sex yet.
    WWBX1 - D29b.JPG

Early Flower - WWBX1
  • Day 36 - Start of week 6: Interesting changes in the last week. The WWBX1 went from not showing sex to being in full on early flower. There is a clear difference in both plants in terms of what they like for feed.

The WWBX1 is showing signs of being very nute and N sensitive. Both plants are getting 60% strength Jacks blend. The WWBX1 has clear N tox/overload appearance. Dark green and clawing down.

The Old School Mango Haze continues to grow nicely. It is looking a bit "limey" so I am considering to up the feed to 80% strength. However, I do see maybe 1 or 2 leaf tips bending down and might be slightly dark. I should just leave it alone.

Current plan: Drop WWBX1 feed to 50% strength, continue OSMH at 60%, both will get 3 parts feed and 1 part bloom PK booster.

OSMH: Consistent 1L everyday with about 200-300ml runoff. Input is ~590ppm and runoff is 450-500ppm.

osmh- D36A.JPG

osmh - D36B.JPG

WWBX1:
    600ml everyday with about 130-150ml runoff at ~520ppm

Plant absolutely busted into full on flower mode in the last 2-3 days. Very quick transition. Nute sensitive and showing signs of N overload. Going to back off the feed a bit.

WWBX1 - D36A.JPG

WWBX1 - D36B.JPG

Here is a good comparison shot of both plants. They are getting the same feed strength, pH, frequency, and environment. At 60% strength is it a hair low for the OSMH and a bit high for the WWBX1.

compare.JPG

Mid Flowering
  • Day 50 - Start of week 8

Lots of growth since last week. Calling both of these as Mid-Flower. Looking like 11-12 weeks total? Nute plans changed a bit and I started adding the "Finish" P/K product from Jacks. Mixing 4 gallons at a time make it easy to adjust 25% increments. Currently at 2 parts regular and 2 parts Finish. Looking ahead I expect week 9 at 75% finish and then the final 2-3 weeks of the "Finish" only, which the instructions say to use it alone in the last 2 weeks.

Both plants are being fertigated twice a day.

Old School Mango Haze: 1500ml AM/PM ~400ml runoff each time. Mid flower currently, not stacking up as quickly as the WalterWhite but a much larger plant overall. Quite pleased with this one.

osmh - D50.JPG

osmh - D50b.JPG

osmh - D50c.JPG

Trichome development running down the leaves

osmh - D50d.JPG

Walter White BX1: 600ml AM/PM with ~150ml runoff. Flowering is moving faster than the Mango Haze . A few scruggy leaves here and there.

WWBX1- D50.JPG

WWBX1 -D50b.JPG

Main cola getting really nice and dense!

WWBX1 - D50c.JPG

Ok that's it for this week. Both plants doing well and I'll have the first weeks update on the other Walter White tomorrow.

Late Flower : WWBX1
  • Day 57: Start of week 9.

Old School Mango Haze: OSMH is looking great and putting on weight. Taking 1.5L twice a day.

osmh - D57.JPG

osmh - d57a.JPG

osmh - d57b.JPG

osmh - d57c.JPG

WWBX1: Finishing up much quicker than the other plant. Showing a little purple/pink hue on a few of the buds. Maybe only another week or two. I'll get the microscope out sometime this week and check the look of the trichomes.

WWBX1 - D57.JPG

WWBX1 - D57a.JPG

WWBX1 - D57b.JPG

Late Flower : Old School Mango Haze
  • Day 71: Old School Mango Haze - Looking about ready to come down. Definitely a quick finisher. Will be taking down in 2 days as I have some free hours to spend on it.

osmh - D71.JPG

osmh - D71a.JPG

osmh - D71b.JPG

osmh - D71c.JPG

The leaves have only just started to fade but the trichomes say it's time.

SingleShot0000.jpg

SingleShot0001.jpg

SingleShot0002.jpg

Ok that pretty much wraps it up for this grow and this plant. I'll update later this week with the final harvest pics and some lightly trimmed shots before it goes up to dry.

Late Flower : Walter White BX1
  • D71: Walter White BX1 - Same as the OSMH, looking ready to come down. Got a few glamour shots as it was easy enough to move out of the tent.

wwbx1 - D71.JPG

wwbx1 - D71a.JPG

The lighting changes the appearance of this one a lot. Some lovely light pinks and purples.

wwbx1 - D71b.JPG

wwbx1 - D71c.JPG

wwbx1 - D71d.JPG

wwbx1 - D71e.JPG

wwbx1 - d71F.JPG

The trichome closeups say this one is done!

SingleShot0000.jpg

SingleShot0003.jpg

SingleShot0005.jpg

I'll post another update later this week with some final shots before it gets hung to dry.

Buds
  • Final update: Totals and glamour shots.

Everything had a chance to dry and cure for a couple weeks now. I've been doing an ok job trimming intially but I found things looks better if I leave them alone and then go back for a touch up before final pics.

Really nice turnout with 143g on the Old School Mango Haze and 44g on the Walter White BX1.

totals.JPG

Despite looking very similar once trimmed up you can absolutely tell which is which by smell alone. The Old School Mango Haze has a distinct citrus and mango scent. The Walter White BX1 smells of fruity pebbles to me. My nose is pretty terrible so these scents must be near overwhelming for me to notice them. But again, my nose is awful so you may notice other things.

Old School Mango Haze:

osmh1.JPG

osmh2.JPG

osmh3.JPG

Walter White BX1:

ww1.JPG

ww2.JPG

ww3.JPG

Thanks again to the crew at Mephisto and @stan_mephisto for making these strains available. Really top stuff.

Back