Extraction NAGreengo's - Hard Pressed

@Mara Cachafa maybe try smaller amounts in the bags and running multiple bags next to each other. Also standing the bags up will lose less to the bags
View attachment 1596660
Here's how I do my bags in here
Did you calculate what your effective material pressure was with whatever gage pressure it was?.......that's sorta backwards, but I hope ya understand what I'm asking.
Great suggestions. I myself personally would reduce the amount to say, 7-12 Grams per press. Another suggestion, as @JP1 demonstrates in his thread.

Instead of pressing the bag horizontal, try pressing it vertical instead.

Hope this helps!

:d5:

Did you calculate what your effective material pressure was with whatever gage pressure it was?.......that's sorta backwards, but I hope ya understand what I'm asking.
No, I don't have a gauge. I pumped the 20-ton jack as hard as I could with an 18" handle, so maybe 10-12 tons I guess. When I used it to lift my house I had a longer handle. The plates are 4"x6", and the bag flattened out to about 3"x5". If 10T pressure was spread out over 15 square inches, I guess that's 1,300 lb per square inch. Is that what you mean?

No, I don't have a gauge. I pumped the 20-ton jack as hard as I could with an 18" handle, so maybe 10-12 tons I guess. When I used it to lift my house I had a longer handle. The plates are 4"x6", and the bag flattened out to about 3"x5". If 10T pressure was spread out over 15 square inches, I guess that's 1,300 lb per square inch. Is that what you mean?
Today's a bit of a rough pain day, so I'm pretty high right now. What I'm talking about is actual material pressure.
First of all, actual material pressure is one of the key aspects of extraction, the other is the heat and the other is the time.
If you have two different sizes of bags, to get the same material pressure on the smaller bag your Gage pressure must be reduced.

With my Miini, I don't have a Gage so I have to kind of go by feel and looking at the material, I try to meet nuggsmashers design bag size for the Mini. Their description of how much effort is used on the mini is based on that bag size. Since I don't have a Gage , I haven't really looked into their terp file app, I don't know if they have a calculator in there to tell you what your gage pressure should be based on what you want your material pressure to be with that particular bag size.

I'm just too high right now to explain how to calculate exact material pressure based on plate size and your gauge pressure. Sorry, maybe somebody more sober than I can explain it LoL!

I tried a dry ice press yesterday that was increasing in temperature and pressure over 6 minutes. Starting temperature was 135*F with the ending pressure of 175*F
you would think it was an ice water hash with how blonde it was coming out. I didn't stir it or anything like that. Once I pulled it off the parchment paper, which was stupid easy, I put it in my glass jar and took enough off to load into my Swordfish.
I'm warming it right now and a seed of hot water so I can stir it and then put it into the refrigerator for a couple of days to see how well it does.

I loaded everything up yesterday in 37 Micron bags, sized the bag and hand pressed to set the size and then cold press them in the press two further set bag size. I think that pre-pressing helps with the heat transfer.

Here's what I had with just the hand press.
IMG_20230625_191508998.jpg

I smoked some of the hash the night I shook it. This was Mangoes N Chem. I thought it tasted more like cantaloupes, but the taste was there and quite strong. The pressing procedure did change the taste a bit. The mango/cantaloupe taste was diminished a little bit and the chem came out a bit more. Even though its structure of the girl was quite indica, I think the effect lean more toward a sativa. Kind of an unusual high. Really hard to pinpoint a stand out quality. I don't know how to explain it, but it was definitely different. Absolutely no damn couch lock whatsoever. I guess I can't say one standout quality was the rush on a big hit. It was definitely quite nice!
Using this method, I think I got a better quality rosin and an improvement in production.

Not all cultivars press the same as this, but Ripley's OG (and many other Mephisto Cultivars) make a fine extract at °170, for around 5 minutes . Afterwards , I collect it and place it in the jar, turn the press off, and put the jar on the warm plate with the lid tightened just until it settles into the bottom. Then I put it into the freezer and bring it to the point of being nearly completely frozen. (Quick cold cure) Then I set it on the closet shelf for about 3 days ...
Screenshot_2023-05-27-10-56-29-225.jpg

The result is a wax consistency..And the terps are greatly preserved ..
:woohoo1:

Screenshot_20230516-124716~2.png

:pass:

Last edited:
Not all cultivars press the same as this, but Ripley's OG (and many other Mephisto Cultivars) make a fine extract at °170, for around 5 minutes . Afterwards , I collect it and place it in the jar, turn the press off, and put the jar on the warm plate just until it settles into the bottom. Then I put it into the freezer and bring it to the point of being nearly completely frozen. (Quick cold cure) Then I set it on the closet shelf for about 3 days ...
View attachment 1607998

The result is a wax consistency..
:woohoo1:

View attachment 1608003

:pass:
Yeah, my last big hash pressing I use that technique and they turned out very very nice. That was a good tip!
I've got eight more pressings to do, so i'll try to get a picture of that beautiful blondness that I was getting!
That blondness was the reason I was in such a hurry to do a taste test in my Swordfish! :eyebrows: :funny:

Mephisto Sundae Thumper tester that was harvested a week ago is now in the jar at 68% RH at 80°F, still getting burped a few times a day. I pressed 20 grams in a 90 micron bag at 195°F. I wasn't sure if there was moisture in the rosin, so I set the jar on the press platen for an hour at 245°F (decarb temperature). Something did evaporate out of there, because the weight went down from 3.37g to 2.98g. Before & after decarb:
MGST.1_rosin-jar.jpg MGST.1_rosin_decarbed.jpg

Well I finished up the pressings last night. Absolutely beautiful flowing Rosin, so damn blonde!
With no gauge, consistency with the Mini is relatively difficult to do. I do think I've found a pretty decent method to get the best quality rosin.

Here's what I'm doing:

1. I'm using the 37 Micron bags filled with approximately 5.5 grams.
2. I hand press the filled bag to get the bag size and then cold press it to finalize the size.
3. I am using a increasing temperature and supposedly pressure method. I'm starting out at 130 degrees Fahrenheit and my ending temperature is 175.
4. I let the bag sit with light pressure for approximately 45 seconds to one minute.
5. I restart the timer, apply more pressure and let it sit for approximately 45 seconds to one minute .
6. I then set the temperature on the mini to my ending temperature level 175 degrees Fahrenheit. The mini slowly increases the temperature and hits the target temperature at around the five minute mark
7. With steady pressure, the bag begins to flow at approximately the 3:30 minute mark.
8. When I begin to feel the flow to begin in earnest, I begin to increase the pressure.
9. I end the press in the six to seven minute range.
A beautiful golden product is the result.

I did second press all the cooks last night and got 2.65 grams out of that. Naturally, it was much darker and a different consistency.
55 to 57% is about all I can get with the Mini from the first pressing. With a gauge, I'm quite sure I could get it higher.
There's no big deal, really, in the percentage of the return I get. The pressed pucks are saved for when I have enough, I decarb them and infuse into MCT oil. The Argent FX is now in an infuse cycle as I do this update. It should be a fairly potent oil. I had to stuff them down to get them all inside!
IMG_20230629_173345299_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230629_173402130_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230629_173405916_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230629_191207972_HDR.jpg

Back