Need advise toping

Reaction score
Screenshot_2023-08-21-22-07-51-41_b74b461569b99d0d1dbc43e1f6d11ecb.jpg

These ones are 2-3 weeks old now. They are autoflowers. They were only just moved from smaller pots to the 3.9gal pots yesterday.

I have never topped before but I am finally wanting to try this out. Are these starting to look ready to top? I'm nervous about chopping anything. Can anyone give a bit advice on this?

The strain is dinafem Cinderella jack auto and fastbuds banana purple punch auto.

Nice clean setup, looks like you've done this before, but not here with us.

I top autoflowers between the 4th and 5th node when there is enough of the new shoots showin to make the cut cleanly. I remove the first node.

From there I LST to try to get an even scrog like canopy without using a net.

I like to leave a little stub afterwards.

I don't top if the plant is showing any stress, always during vigorous growth.

Since you just transplanted, I'd wait till you see some fresh growth.

Maybe do half of them so you can have direct comparison of results.

Topping a personal choice -- I don't top autos because they have a set growth time -- as were reg and photos you can top and then increase their veg time before the flip --- don;t get me wrong you can top autos an auto's veg time is 3 weeks at the most till fllower sets in

Your girls are looking good, have a look at this thread, invaluable if you want a topping guide.

I’ve topped every auto I’ve grown except one. I top after the 5th node when there’s at least 1/2 inch of stalk to remain. This will encourage a stronger knuckle. I top because I prefer having the center of the plant getting maximum light. I also like to tie down and train the branches and will leave the ties the whole grow so that the lower growth has constant light exposure. Most here will tell you that everyone has their own growing style and it’s my opinion that you can’t develop a style without experimenting to see what works for you and your grow environment. Good luck and here’s a couple pics of my process.
58B60088-1B0A-4B63-BADF-382D903969EA.jpeg
64D8C076-5244-4F6F-BE65-98B518260343.jpeg
6052C420-5C90-48FA-B7E3-2C07AB4E707D.jpeg
89D8FA4F-8922-483C-A1D6-7B7EEC0E99FB.jpeg
7AB7B5C6-7AC4-482F-8B76-F535CFC33859.png

When I would only lightly train and remove the growth on the lower third of the plant like some growers do I would average about 100 grams. When I train the whole grow and cut nothing and give them light exposure I average 160 grams. I find that what would usually be larf turned into nice fat nugs instead.

Thanks so much all. I did end up topping all plants.

I plan to switch on automatic watering pretty soon. The ladies are going well.

View attachment 1627052
You have a great set up, and your plants look very happy and healthy. You'll learn plenty about topping from this run. I'll echo what someone else mentioned - topping is a personal preference. Whatever suits you is right for you. Happy growing!

Back