Nutrient lockout?

They don't look that bad, but could progressively get worse depending on which direction you go. Since you're in soil, you can either go plain pH'd water for a few days in the res, to try and flush, or keep the nutrient feed the same (minus pk boost). I'm assuming you're using shogun terra bloom. Is this a clear liquid?

In my experience with autopots, if you're feeding correctly and you're starting to see multiple deficiencies, it's probably lockout. The only way I remedied this situation was to take the pots out and flush with 1/2 strength nute feed until I seen the EC drop to acceptable ranges ~1.5EC for my case. Two days later I began to top feed only, normal strength nutes, and had a successful harvest. It should be noted I use coco which makes using salt-based nutrients easier to flush when necessary.

If I were to use autopots and soil, I'd go the Build-A-Soil route and use dry nutients. During flower, top dress and water from the top and use the autopots for supplemental watering inbetween top feeds. If using those thick 'organic' liquid feeds, I'd only water those from the top. Never in the res.

Personally, I've put the autopots back on the shelf. They have their place, but for me a drip system is so much easier and I never have to worry about lockout. DTW lets me push the feedings too. I usually run Floraflex nutes at 2.1-2.4EC in my tap(0.5EC). I've also read that photos can go up to 3EC.
I've had some successful photo grows in these pots I just hadn't tried autos, I keep reading they need a lot less feeding than photos... Thing is I've got 3 of a different strain on the other side doing well on the same feed.

I'm not really seeing multiple problems just yellowing of fan leaves with on of them the yellow is spreading up to the upper leaves.

Yeah shogun terra bloom is clear. I'm getting mixed messages on here tho I've been told never to flush soil by 2 growers on here and your saying to flush them 🫨

Attachments

• IMG20240112193535.jpg
    IMG20240112193535.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG20240112193539.jpg
    IMG20240112193539.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG20240112193545.jpg
    IMG20240112193545.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG20240112193555.jpg
    IMG20240112193555.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 9
I've read it, but I'm not very academic 🤯 I'm not entirely sure what I should do, I haven't turned the rez on yet with just bloom. What do you suggest? Just water for a while?
Chuck, I don't know how to explain it in simpler terms than in my post? The bottom line is you are fertilizing totally wrong for salt type fertilizer.

You need to use ONLY one line of nutrients and you need to use it according to THIER schedule.
This is from Shogun's web site: This is an example only I did not key in your specifics since I do not know them.

shogun example.png

You need to be using all of the products listed in the red box in the amounts shown.

You need to get someone to help you understand the idea behind balanced nutrients. Study my thread until you understand or choose a different way to grow that you do understand.

:goodluck:

Yeah shogun terra bloom is clear. I'm getting mixed messages on here tho I've been told never to flush soil by 2 growers on here and your saying to flush them 🫨
I never said to flush them. I said you have two choices for soil, continue same feed or "flush" (which I should of said leech, since your trying to leech the excess salts out) by using plain pH water in your res for a few days if you suspect lockout. When you restart your nute program you should see improvements in a week if it was lockout. This is all documented on the autopot website and their recommendations.

I use coco as a media so when I "flush" coco to correct a deficiency, the goal is to balance the EC and pH. Completely different in soil. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
I take those estimates with a grain a salt and a 10 week strain is a fast one plus there's lots of variable that can speed up or slow them down. I don't feed my plants any more then 1.4 ec in coco DTW and even there I can get some tip burn depending on the strain
When I did autopots, I could not use an EC greater than about 900 (or .9 on your scale). This was in coco, but soil may not behave the same regarding EC. Even at ~900EC, I still got lockout and other mischief due to salt buildup, which is why I no longer do subirrigation with salt nutes.

With coco and automated top watering with runoff, I am now using ~1400EC, and the plants are all happy in mid flower. Bottom feeding requires reduced EC. :pighug:

Back