Live Stoners Old Sailor - New Hobby

ExNavyInSTL

Old Sailor with a new hobby!
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
My own shit, thanks to places like this!
Hi everyone. I'm working on my first grow, which is photoperiod: (4 x White Willow & 1 x Blue Dream).

This intro post may be a little shotgun-patterned as I try to think about my whirlwind of buying and learning since early September.

I recently became a "patient" in Illinois and trying my hand at a new self-sustaining (hopefully) hobby. I'm allowed 5 plants, but I have already learned I am switching to two auto-flower plants in the future. I'll list the seeds I have ordered and get some advice on which to start with on the next grow.

I jumped all the way in and ordered the Mars Hydro 2 x 4 tent with an SP-3000 light and all the other goodies that come with a "kit."

Additionally, I recently added a Blumat auto-watering system. So far I am loving the idea. I have a 5-gallon bucket up on top of my tent that I loaded up VERY sparingly with nutrients (Fox Farm Trio, Cal-Mag, blackstrap molasses, etc). I check the pH in the AM & PM and make adjustments to get it back around 6.2. My PPMs are holding around 800-900. Give me a week or so to see if my leaves shrivel up and fall off. :smoking:

If this set up ends up over-feeding, I am ready to switch to a 5-gallon bucket with RO/Filtered straight water for a bit. Although, I made a point to add about a 1/4 to 1/3 of what the label calls for because I am running decent soil that I have built out of the following:

Soil Cocktail For This Grow:
(1) Brut Super Soil
(2) Some Vermiculite
(3) Additional Perlite
(4) Strawberry Fields (at the bottom of planter)
(5) Ocean Forest (above Strawberry Fields - surrounding the transfer plant)
(6) Happy Frog to top it off
(7) Chicken Poop (hand full for shits and giggles in the mix)
(8) Epsom Salt (another handfull)
(9) Clay Pebbles (LECHA - lightweight expanded clay aggregate) to add more spacing for roots to run

Besides the Fox Farm Trio I have the following on hand (but not necessarly using):

Liquid Silica Boost (Bloom City)
SuperBoost All Natural Organic Fertilizer (I don't know why)
Photosynthesis Plus Fertilizer (buzzed on Amazon I guess)
Safergro Natural Wet Certified Organic Wetting Agent (because of drip feed)
SuperThrive Vitamin Solution
Organic Kelp (GS Plant Food)
Organic Humic Acid (GS Plant Food) (Used in 5:2 ratio with Kelp)
Flower Fuel 1-34-32
DE for Critters (none so far)

Of course, as you can see, I am making all the rookie mistakes of buying too many admendments. My wife will get what I eventually realize is not needed.

Now, just for the fun of it, I'll list the AF seeds I have and you all pick your favorite 2 for me to plant after Christmas.

To help, I'm mostly an Indica person (I think). I tried to smoke as a high-schooler but was super prone to anxiety and paranoia. It helps that nearly 45 years later they actually care about those effects and try to farm those features out of the strain. I have been very pleased with just how effective being able to "dial in" with some control on how far into the couch I sink.

Seeds from Herbie's:
(1) Big Bang Auto (GHS) (5 seeds - 10 total)

Freebies They Threw In:
(2) Gorilla Glue Auto - 2 seeds
(3) Gelato Auto - 1 seed
(4) Zkittlez Auto - 3 seeds

Seeds From MSNL:
(5) 5 Seeds of Auto Bluetooth Feminized

Go Navy!

Hi everyone. I'm working on my first grow, which is photoperiod: (4 x White Willow & 1 x Blue Dream).

This intro post may be a little shotgun-patterned as I try to think about my whirlwind of buying and learning since early September.

I recently became a "patient" in Illinois and trying my hand at a new self-sustaining (hopefully) hobby. I'm allowed 5 plants, but I have already learned I am switching to two auto-flower plants in the future. I'll list the seeds I have ordered and get some advice on which to start with on the next grow.

I jumped all the way in and ordered the Mars Hydro 2 x 4 tent with an SP-3000 light and all the other goodies that come with a "kit."

Additionally, I recently added a Blumat auto-watering system. So far I am loving the idea. I have a 5-gallon bucket up on top of my tent that I loaded up VERY sparingly with nutrients (Fox Farm Trio, Cal-Mag, blackstrap molasses, etc). I check the pH in the AM & PM and make adjustments to get it back around 6.2. My PPMs are holding around 800-900. Give me a week or so to see if my leaves shrivel up and fall off. :smoking:

If this set up ends up over-feeding, I am ready to switch to a 5-gallon bucket with RO/Filtered straight water for a bit. Although, I made a point to add about a 1/4 to 1/3 of what the label calls for because I am running decent soil that I have built out of the following:

(1) Brut Super Soil
(2) Some Vermiculite
(3) Additional Perlite
(9) Clay Pebbles (LECHA - lightweight expanded clay aggregate) to add more spacing for roots to run

Besides the Fox Farm Trio I have the following on hand (but not necessarly using):

Flower Fuel 1-34-32

Of course, as you can see, I am making all the rookie mistakes of buying too many admendments. My wife will get what I eventually realize is not needed.

Now, just for the fun of it, I'll list the AF seeds I have and you all pick your favorite 2 for me to plant after Christmas.

To help, I'm mostly an Indica person (I think). I tried to smoke as a high-schooler but was super prone to anxiety and paranoia. It helps that nearly 45 years later they actually care about those effects and try to farm those features out of the strain. I have been very pleased with just how effective being able to "dial in" with some control on how far into the couch I sink.

Seeds from Herbie's:

Freebies They Threw In:
(3) Gelato Auto - 1 seed

Seeds From MSNL:

Go Navy!

heya @ExNavyInSTL and :welcome: to afn! :toke: best canna site on the web here & anything u need, jus give a holler :thumbsup:

ppp & :goodluck:

:420:

(1) Brut Super Soil
(2) Some Vermiculite
(3) Additional Perlite

Flower Fuel 1-34-32

Seeds from Herbie's:

Freebies They Threw In:
(3) Gelato Auto - 1 seed

Seeds From MSNL:

Go Navy!
I've never grown any of those yet, but gorilla glue is always a good choice. Gelato is one of the best tasting strains I've had. If you search the names of the strains you have you may be able to find journals for them. If nothing comes up here, there's always Google. Reading journals of other peoples grows of strains you have is a good way to get kind of an idea of what you're in for, though each plant can be very different unless the strain has been bred to be very very stable in presentation. I've never heard of big bang or Bluetooth personally, but I do have seeds of the three others you've listed, just from different breeders.

Another Newbie Mistake -- Seed Buying ... or better said, "Seed Receiving."
Oh man, I made another rookie move.

So, above I mentioned my incoming seeds. Little did I know that I had received them and most likely threw them away.

I had placed two orders with two separate seed companies NOT knowing that these seed companies use "creative" ways of helping them find a way to our doorstep. My problem is that I am a prolific Amazon / eBay buyer and so I am known to receive strange crap by delivery ever so often.

In one week, I received a package with a brand new white t-shirt for toddlers and a black piece of cloth cut in the shape of a winter scarf. Coincidently, I had just ordered a yard of black fabric to help with grow-tent light leaks.

I kept them both out of curiosity, but then it dawned on me two weird coincidences in the same week were most likely my seeds. Well, the order with the toddler shirt had seeds strategically placed that customer service helped me locate. However, the seeds in the "scarf" package were most likely in the packaging that I threw away. And as Murphy would have it, the order with the most variety of seeds were thrown out.

Oh well, I've made more expensive mistakes in my life.

I've already ordered more (and different) seeds for my January grow. I'll post that grow to an official thread when I start.

BTW, the new seeds are:

(1) Northern Lights Autoflower (Seedstockers) (5 seeds)
(2) BCN Critical XXL Autoflower (Seedstockers) (5 seeds)
(3) O.G. Kush Autoflower (Seedstockers) (5 seeds)
(4) Super Skunk Autoflower (Seedstockers) (5 seeds)
(5) Big Bud Autoflower (Seedstockers) (5 seeds)
(6) Blackberry Gum Autoflower (Seedstockers) (5 seeds)
(7) BCN Power Plant Autoflower (Seedstockers) (5 seeds)
(8) Grandmommy Purple (Herbies Seeds) (5 seeds)

Bonus Seeds:

(09) Gorilla Glue Auto 2 Free
(10) Gelato Auto 2 Free
(11) Zkittlez Auto 3 Free

I'm pretty impressed with the prices too. I was able to order all these seeds for about $160 delivered. If you include the FREE seeds, then it comes out to $3.40 a seed delivered.

Hi sweetie and welcome! I am no expert by ANY means, but I would say with that soil mix you would not have to add anything but water for a while. Ocean Forest, Happy Frog, and SFields already have nutrients in them that can carry your plant for a while.
And dont beat yourself up over mistakes, TRUST me we all make them :rofl:
Good luck, and welcome!
XOXO
Mom

Hi sweetie and welcome! I am no expert by ANY means, but I would say with that soil mix you would not have to add anything but water for a while. Ocean Forest, Happy Frog, and SFields already have nutrients in them that can carry your plant for a while.
And dont beat yourself up over mistakes, TRUST me we all make them :rofl:
Good luck, and welcome!
XOXO
Mom

Thanks MassMom. I appreciate your words. I'll eventually make my way back to "Less is More."

Hey! Speak for yourself! I never make mis . . .. hold on - I have fix my overshoot on pH from last night. :nono:

Since switching to the Blumat Troph Drip system, I water and "slightly" feed the soil and plants (25-30% of label recommendation) from a black 5-gallon bucket. I pH every morning and every night to get back to 6.2-ish. I am amazed at how much it can fluctuate due to (some - if I forget to put the lid back on) evaporation and lowering of levels from the daily drip amounts.

Back