Coco/perlite attempt

SHRED

"Onward through the fog!" - Oat Willie
Reaction score
I've been exclusively growing in organic fed soil in 5 gal fabric pots for 10 years.

I want to try coco/perlite with some freebie seeds I got.

I'm thinking of starting out with a commercial blend like Roots Organic Soilless or Fox Farms Cultivation Nation 70/30.

I've been advised to start with something like General Hydroponics Flora trio and I'm also looking at Emerald Harvest nutrients.

I'm going to try growing in 3 gallon pots.

This will be my first time at this so any advice would be helpful thank you.

Hi. If possible - add some extra air to the mix by infusing it at the bottom, the roots love it. You can also water/feed more often if doing so 😀

Good luck buddy 🫡

Feel free to review some of my past grows. Some good info in those. I will add - with 3gal pots I recommend setting up a dripper or two per pot to automate fertigations. You'll want to fertigate at least once a day and in flower at least twice for 3gal pots. You can look into high frequency fertigation too if you want to go even further. Read over some of the blogs on cocoforcannabis.com. It's where I got most of my info.

PS, They get big so be ready to add support like a trellis net! Happy growing!

I've been exclusively growing in organic fed soil in 5 gal fabric pots for 10 years.

I want to try coco/perlite with some freebie seeds I got.

I'm thinking of starting out with a commercial blend like Roots Organic Soilless or Fox Farms Cultivation Nation 70/30.

I've been advised to start with something like General Hydroponics Flora trio and I'm also looking at Emerald Harvest nutrients.

I'm going to try growing in 3 gallon pots.

This will be my first time at this so any advice would be helpful thank you.
I have two suggestions, first head over to CocoforCannabis.com, and study. Second, set up automated fertigation. For best results, you will want to fertigate a lot more times than you will want to, or can, fertigate manually. My ~2gallon pots get it 6 times a day, my solos 8 times, for example. With your larger pots, you might find 4-5 times a day good. You monitor your runoff EC to know whether you are doing it often enough.

I use a cheap submersible sump pump rather than the tiny fountain pumps typically used. They are not a lot more expensive, and they move more nutes easily. Hydro Halos or equivalent can be used to more evenly distribute nutes over the top or your pot.

Good luck with it, and have fun. :pighug:

My experience ----I've grown in coco for 5 years, I've used several different brands- don't get the cheap shit at local hardware stores.
My best grows have been with Canna Coco Plus 50 litre bags and its prebuffered- ready to go. No jumping through fkn hoops of adding cal/mag and all that other crap.

Use a quality well-known brand of bagged (vs. brick) coco that claims to be fully 'buffered' and ready to go (not needing pre-use flushing or 'charging' with cal-mag). I now use Canna and have used Roots CocoPalms. And for nutes, I use either 2-part MegaCrop or Adv. Nutrients Connoisseur ( top of line) pH Perfect Grow and Bloom with RO water and never measure, much less adjust, pH.

If adding perlite, depending on the brand it can be best to pre-rinse/flush it before use. This could well be more important than rinsing the coco.

Last edited:
Back