New Grower Please share what tools/gear you use for checking trichomes

Reaction score
Currently Smoking
AMS White Widow XTRM, AMS Cheese, AMS Ganja Dwarf
I am so frustrated. I can't seem to get a good accurate look at my trichomes with my two girls who are close to finishing. First I got this pocket microscope which I find very difficult to get trichomes into the field of vision. I just gave up.

Amazon product

Next I bought this USB digital microscope which doesn't focus very clearly even using it on the stand with no movement and it doesn't render color well at all - all trichomes look white. I tried a couple of plants near ready and a couple that have weeks to go and the trichomes looked the same on all of them - white. I am returning it.

Amazon product

Though I am thinking of buying a different USB digital microscope to see if it works better. Maybe this one

Amazon product

Or this one

Amazon product

Anyone use either of these two with good results?

Next I tried my cell phone at 10x zoom with flash and it's really not magnified enough to get an accurate look. I mean I can't easily differentiate between clear, milky and amber. Maybe its just my lack of experience.

20171209_165148.jpg

I have a nice DSLR camera (Nikon D7000) but no macro lenses though I would consider purchasing a macro lens (maybe a 85mm or 105mm as I could also use either as a portrait lens), but I don't have a tripod if that is necessary for macro work so I would probably need a tripod too. Not to mention either of those macro lenses might be nice for other canna shots. Or maybe a 40mm or 60mm macro lens would be better? For those who shoot buds/trichomes with macro lenses, what focal length do you use?

Anyone care to recommend specifics on what works well in your experience? If a phone gadget I am on android platform not iphone so an iphone specific phone attachment lens won't help me. Thank you for any help I can get my AFN friends!

Honestly I just use a 420 scope and it's pretty good for me.

If they all show white/milky then you can harvest if you are looking for a a lighter, more energetic high, or you can wait for some amber trichomes if you want a heavier body high.

Are you snipping a piece of bud to put on the usb digital cam table with cam directly over it? I own the Dino Lite cam which I don't like and I have Bodelin cam which I do like and use regularly. I also have two pocket scopes and a loupe and I don't use them at all anymore.

Simple jewlers loupe..for quick check. I have a 10x and 30x ..the 10x does just fine. I do Marco shots with camera if I want to share a nice shot.

I use a 30x jeweler's loupe(a cheap one from dealrextreme).

I also have a microscope, which I used during my 2nd grow, got it for free. used to be my grandfather's microscope, I got it when I helped clean up my grandmother's house, she already had her own.
it's a good microscope, but ofcourse not usb, and instead of an electric light it has a mirror. probably nice for fieldwork, but I ended up using it with a flashlight to see the trichomes better.

I find the jeweler's loupe I bought after my 2nd grow much more convenient. the microscope has a better image and much higher possible magnification, but the jeweler's loupe is very small, easily fits in my pocket, and I don't have to remove leaves from the plants to look at them.
and what I want to look at with weedplants is big enough that I don't need that extra magnification the miscroscope gives.
and it also works great for sexing plants. that's actually what I use it mostly for, for harvest I look more at the overall look of the plant(and the presence of budrot), since I find trichomes not very reliable in my situation. clear/cloudy works, but I rarely see amber trichomes, even on plants that are clearly ripe. might be the strains I grow, or might be because it's outdoor, either way I've learned to look more at the plants and not care there aren't any amber trichomes visible.

Honestly I just use a 420 scope and it's pretty good for me.

It's cheap. I will pick one up and try it.

Are you snipping a piece of bud to put on the usb digital cam table with cam directly over it? I own the Dino Lite cam which I don't like and I have Bodelin cam which I do like and use regularly. I also have two pocket scopes and a loupe and I don't use them at all anymore.

Yes, I cut off a piece of bud and put it on the scope stand under the microscope. I think this usb digital scope just isn't so great, especially for what it costs. Which Bodelin product do you have? Their stuff looks nice though pricey. Their Micro Mobile device looks neat, but they don't have it for my phone model.

Simple jewlers loupe..for quick check. I have a 10x and 30x ..the 10x does just fine. I do Marco shots with camera if I want to share a nice shot.

Wonder if jeweler's loupe is easier than the little cheap microscopes like the one I have, which sucks lol. Do you do macro shots with a point and shoot camera that has a macro mode? I don't have a point and shoot, just a DSLR and it doesn't have a macro mode. I would need to get a macro lens. Would be nice to take great photos of trichs and buds.

Thanks, guys, for your input.:thanks:

It's cheap. I will pick one up and try it.

Yes, I cut off a piece of bud and put it on the scope stand under the microscope. I think this usb digital scope just isn't so great, especially for what it costs. Which Bodelin product do you have? Their stuff looks nice though pricey. Their Micro Mobile device looks neat, but they don't have it for my phone model.

Wonder if jeweler's loupe is easier than the little cheap microscopes like the one I have, which sucks lol. Do you do macro shots with a point and shoot camera that has a macro mode? I don't have a point and shoot, just a DSLR and it doesn't have a macro mode. I would need to get a macro lens. Would be nice to take great photos of trichs and buds.

Thanks, guys, for your input.:thanks:

Nikon DSLR with 60mm 1:1 macro w/extensions

without extension
DSC_0021.jpg

With extensions
Micro GSC 4.jpg

Back