Night Owl Seeds Question about F1 seeds

Yes, generally speaking, hybrids can exhibit vigor, although I think that the extent of this benefit in typical cannabis crosses is still uncertain. In any case, the question is not whether extra vigor would result, the question is whether the vigor achieved was worth the risk. Vigorous plants that do not produce what you are hoping for can still be an expensive waste of time.

Different strokes and all that... :pighug:

Pretty sure it's marketing and based on seeds they have available. There's tons of people basically bypassing f4-f7 seeds from great companies just for the "freebie" f1s like they're supercharged versions of the advertised parents. Nightowl was selling people $500 bundles to basically get a marathon og pack and, magically, they'll be available for purchase 6 weeks later on their own... But also, the best plant I've ever grown was a f1 freebie and I'll be looking for that Ewok again forever, so that alone gives me that f1/freebie itch too. Feels to me like the f1s that are mother and father bred by the same company are totally worth a shot

Not much to add on my end in regard to F1 vs. True F1, BUT I think it should be mention that the Meph strains that are used for Nightowl crosses are strains Daz has personally developed/worked on while working for them. I bought a bundle (no there wasn't Marathon OG packs in the bundle, but there were crosses of it) and I bought it because I believe What Daz does is far from Pollen Chucking. If he was taking strains that people loved and just crossed them to make money (like some popular small breeders), then I would take the whole "True F1" thing as straight marketing.. But when it's strains he spent years working on himself, it's hard not to give some merit to it.

Above is a a Google Docs that shows all of his previous work. A lot of the Descriptions tell about how the selection was made.
Usually, with f1 hybrid Veggies, the two parents are very stable. I don't think that is quite the case with Cannabis. That being said I like the f1 vigor.
But, with the two Galaxy Brains, I am growing there was quite a pheno difference in length of growth and plant structure, but the buds look. identical. Now Mephisto 24 Carat I have grown a few times and they do not seem consistent at all even though they are f7? But I still love them.

Above is a a Google Docs that shows all of his previous work. A lot of the Descriptions tell about how the selection was made.
Usually, with f1 hybrid Veggies, the two parents are very stable. I don't think that is quite the case with Cannabis. That being said I like the f1 vigor.
But, with the two Galaxy Brains, I am growing there was quite a pheno difference in length of growth and plant structure, but the buds look. identical. Now Mephisto 24 Carat I have grown a few times and they do not seem consistent at all even though they are f7? But I still love them.

That is one hell of an impressive document. Good on you sir!

Back