Question about when to switch light for Sativas in a 6ft tent

Bravogrows

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
I'm actually asking regarding photo sativa's because Ive only grown autos indoors. Small- medium sized
How do I know when to top them so that they dont get taller than 36 inches after stretch?
I never grew sativa's in a tent and looking for advice on it.
Thank you in advance

imho: k.i.s.s

Top the plants at the 5th node, cut off the first node branches. so you have 4 nodes, 8 branches per plant, give then a week to recover, then remove as many fans as you feel comfortable with (shwazzing) and flip to 12/12, start to train them out and flat to fill all your horizontal plane, you can top the branches again anytime so you then have 16 mains from each plant, Shwazz again after 21 days, by which time you can let them grow vertically or keep training flat if you have space, You can increase your light to full or the max the plants can take without bleeching/burning, the more light the less they will stretch.

From that point on its just seeing what the plant does, keep in mind that you can super crop if they get too tall.

Sativa tends to be pretty tall and flowers for a long time plan on 12-16 weeks flowering time.

and plan on lots of traning or scrog.

thats all I have for you on that.

You should also take all the advice you can get from other growers, many here have far more knowledge than I.

imho: k.i.s.s

Top the plants at the 5th node, cut off the first node branches. so you have 4 nodes, 8 branches per plant, give then a week to recover, then remove as many fans as you feel comfortable with (shwazzing) and flip to 12/12, start to train them out and flat to fill all your horizontal plane, you can top the branches again anytime so you then have 16 mains from each plant, Shwazz again after 21 days, by which time you can let them grow vertically or keep training flat if you have space, You can increase your light to full or the max the plants can take without bleeching/burning, the more light the less they will stretch.

From that point on its just seeing what the plant does, keep in mind that you can super crop if they get too tall.

Sativa tends to be pretty tall and flowers for a long time plan on 12-16 weeks flowering time.

and plan on lots of traning or scrog.

thats all I have for you on that.

You should also take all the advice you can get from other growers, many here have far more knowledge than I.
Thank you for the info. I guess having multiple sativas in the tent is out of the question then

On average photos will stretch about 3-5x the height of the vegged plant when flipped.

For example, this is when I flipped, about 16 inches at the tallest
20231209_161128.jpg

This is now, roughly a month since the flip
20240107_131243.jpg

Sativas have a tendency to stretch more than indicas obviously, but plants can surprise you. Ive seen plants keep stretching. So if they get too close to your lights, just supercrop them down to a fair height. Just make sure when you do, you hold them down or in a week they will be standing back up again. I realize some of my plants are on stands, but thats just to even out the canopy. Had a slow grower, and one didnt stretch as much as the one in front, but this is typical of growing different strains in the same tent.

For reference my tent is 70" tall. Just under 6 ft. And if I let my plants get taller than 20ish inches they will need supercropping. Also if your hesitant to super crop, dont be a pinch to soften the stem where you want the bend and just flop ot over and lst it in that position.

Last edited:
On average photos will stretch about 3-5x the height of the vegged plant when flipped.

For example, this is when I flipped, about 16 inches at the tallestView attachment 1658651

This is now, roughly a month since the flipView attachment 1658652
Sativas have a tendency to stretch more than indicas obviously, but plants can surprise you. Ive seen plants keep stretching. So if they get too close to your lights, just supercrop them down to a fair height. Just make sure when you do, you hold them down or in a week they will be standing back up again
Question what exactly is super cropping? I would think these would hit the lights. Between 1 foot of pot and 1 foot above with hanging lights its a tricky thing to understand how to manage that without snapping stalks. Newbie questions. I have a 2x4 tent. How many photo sativa's can you put in there.

Question what exactly is super cropping? I would think these would hit the lights. Between 1 foot of pot and 1 foot above with hanging lights its a tricky thing to understand how to manage that without snapping stalks. Newbie questions. I have a 2x4 tent. How many photo sativa's can you put in there.
A 2x4 I would limit to 2 plants. You could maybe do 3 but its gonna get cramped pretty quickly in 5 gallon pots.

Super cropping is intentionally damaging the outer stalk of the plant to make it pliable and able to bend without snapping the center of the stem so it can still supply water and nutrients to the tops. Its relatively common in indoor growing since its very easy to outgrow a space. Like I said in my post you give the stem, where you want the bend, a firm pinch then it should just flop over, you'll need to support it and also keep it down so it doesnt stand back up. As the plant grows it will start to turn back up towards the light after a few weeks but you can super crop multiple times if the need arises.
How-To-Supercrop1.jpg

This is a pic I pulled from google, theres lots of tutorials on youtube about super cropping if you want a detailed video.

Last edited:
A 2x4 I would limit to 2 plants. You could maybe do 3 but its gonna get cramped pretty quickly in 5 gallon pots.

Super cropping is intentionally damaging the outer stalk of the plant to make it pliable and able to bend without snapping the center of the stem so it can still supply water and nutrients to the tops. Its relatively common in indoor growing since its very easy to outgrow a space. Like I said in my post you give the stem, where you want the bend, a firm pinch then it should just flop over, you'll need to support it and also keep it down so it doesnt stand back up. As the plant grows it will start to turn back up towards the light after a few weeks but you can super crop multiple times if the need arises.View attachment 1658668
This is a pic I pulled from google, theres lots of tutorials on youtube about super cropping if you want a detailed
Awesome thanks

First off, some photo sativa need at least 13 hours of darkness to bloom. Ace Seeds recommends flipping to bloom at 14 days if you want to control size.

I have some sativa in final bloom now that were SCROGed, and are under 24" high from the soil.

You can definitely fill almost any size grow area with one plant if you train it wide. I've filled a 6x8 grow room with just one plant.

Back