Selfing and reversing autos for seeds

draxcel

Welcome to the CannaZone
Reaction score
Hi guys,I have been thinking of this a lot lately.I want to lock a specific trait,purple or Red Buds,I then bought some sweetseeds variety of a fem auto that Is supposed to bring Red Buds to my eyes and another automatic strain from fastbuds that exhibits purple colorations.
My questions are:
Will selfing one reversed plant and making seeds stabilise the genetic and let me grow more Red Bud plants?
Will crossings those 2 strains be Better than selfing for locking out the genes pool of One strain?
Thank you in Advance.

Selfing is as close to cloning as i’ve read when it comes to fem autoflowers. However, there’s still independent assortment of alleles and other recombination events that can cause the progeny of a selfed plant to not be true to the parent, or the desired trait could become the less dominant phenotype expressed amongst the progeny.

Crossing the two strains expands the gene pool and you’d have to extensively hunt and select the colored progeny you want, taking them a few filial gens along the way (most likely) to lock down the trait. All the while potentially “selecting against” a bunch of traits you’d want (like huge resin production) and losing those in the end.

Selfing is as close to cloning as i’ve read when it comes to fem autoflowers. However, there’s still independent assortment of alleles and other recombination events that can cause the progeny of a selfed plant to not be true to the parent, or the desired trait could become the less dominant phenotype expressed amongst the progeny.

Crossing the two strains expands the gene pool and you’d have to extensively hunt and select the colored progeny you want, taking them a few filial gens along the way (most likely) to lock down the trait. All the while potentially “selecting against” a bunch of traits you’d want (like huge resin production) and losing those in the end.
Basically selfing and reversing Is Faster and Better,considering my working space of only 2x2 grow tent

Really depends on your end goal. If say the red plant color is what you want but they grow small, but purple plant grows huge and has more resin production, then a cross of the two plants gives you the ability to create a whole new strain (go ahead and name it while you’re at it) that you can select to have large plants with red flowers and increased resin production (saying it is wayyyyyyy easier than actually accomplishing that feat btw!).

But yeah, in a 2x2 like I am I would just reverse the main with STS and let her fem pollen hit the lower branches. For some reason most do it opposite from what I read…reverse lowers and pollinate the main cola…maybe cuz the main gets largest so more seeds?

Fastest and better is just find a legit source (Sweet Seeds) and strain you like and buy a bunch of seeds of it LOL! :thumbsup:

No, selfing is the complete opposite of what you think. It allows the entire gene pool within that plant to express in the offspring, you may get a few which are identical to the parent, but the majority will be completely random. A good listen on this exact subject is this podcast https://open.spotify.com/episode/3Q...i=AkYUAT7hT0armcCidFqhFQ&utm_source=copy-link
It was very informative,I think It Is Better to cross a purple plant with a purple sister now

Alright I'm going to do an experiment next grow. Early in veg when a side branch is just long enough I'm going to take it and root like a clone. I'll reverse that one. Bingo bango.
I took a clone of one of my autos to be pollinated, cloning autos works awesome for seed chuking adventures. Happy growing m8 :pass:

Really depends on your end goal. If say the red plant color is what you want but they grow small, but purple plant grows huge and has more resin production, then a cross of the two plants gives you the ability to create a whole new strain (go ahead and name it while you’re at it) that you can select to have large plants with red flowers and increased resin production (saying it is wayyyyyyy easier than actually accomplishing that feat btw!).

But yeah, in a 2x2 like I am I would just reverse the main with STS and let her fem pollen hit the lower branches. For some reason most do it opposite from what I read…reverse lowers and pollinate the main cola…maybe cuz the main gets largest so more seeds?

Fastest and better is just find a legit source (Sweet Seeds) and strain you like and buy a bunch of seeds of it LOL! :thumbsup:
Jaxson. I am new here and to feminizing auto;s, I want to make my own seeds i have STS ,Can i spray the top of a plant and let it pollenate itself ?? and when would i start to spray an auto, Or do i need to spray 1 plant to pollenate another, strain or the same strain, I am using RocBud Inc, strains and Mephsito strains that i really want to hang on to, i was gifted a few and really like what i see so far, Thanks,

Back