Sick seedlings ( El chemi kiwi)

Trip G

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Hello afn. I've ran into some problems. After several successful grows this is happening. The only thing I have changed is the soil ( promix )is what these are in. I usually use roots organic. Here's an el chemi kiwi at about 12 days. Water is tap at around 6.5. Recharge and super thrive is the only thing theve had. I don't think lighting is the issue as I've used the same techniques except ( soil) for over 3 years now. Any suggestions what this looks like?Note I transplant some older seedlings to in the same soil. Leaves started doing the same thing.
IMG_20230226_212659415_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20230226_162816872_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230226_162831683_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230226_162831683_HDR.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
@Trip G :welcome:Welcome to AFN:welcome: It just looks like the media is too hot for seedlings. Which Pro Mix are you using? Recharge is going to amp up the availability of any nutrients in the pot, same with Superthrive.

@Trip G :welcome:Welcome to AFN:welcome: It just looks like the media is too hot for seedlings. Which Pro Mix are you using? Recharge is going to amp up the availability of any nutrients in the pot, same with Superthrive.
Hello, I'm using the promix for potted plants. Thing is I had a few a week ago that I tossed. They started doing the same thing. I had them in the jiffy seedling mix.

Well what did you put in the jiffy starter soil?

The promix for potted plants has a ton of slow release fertilizer (probably to hot for seedlings by itself) and Recharge and thrive would just amp that up.

2023-02-27_7-46-21.jpg

I had a few of the el chemi kiwis that did the same thing. I used only water and recharge, super thrive as well. I thought the jiffy was an inert mix.After thinking about a fellow grow buddy of mine dropped both jiffy mix and promix off. I asked him after I started having problems. He said he had it for over two years. I dunno if that would effect them or not.

You should invest in some good media of known good value. Recharge has a place in growing organically when the pot is running out of nutrients and you just need to get the plant across the finish line. I don't use SuperThrive because it contains PGRs and I don't want that in my meds. A lot of growers don't care and do use it, just my personal preference. When you think about it, you have several hundred dollars already invested in tents and equipment and seeds, a few more dollars for good media is just a good investment. A 4oz plant has a street value of over $600 so just one good plant will pay back most if not all of what you have invested now.

This is a primer on using salt nutrients to grow healthy plants. It may help you understand what the plants need to grow.

:toke:

You should invest in some good media of known good value. Recharge has a place in growing organically when the pot is running out of nutrients and you just need to get the plant across the finish line. I don't use SuperThrive because it contains PGRs and I don't want that in my meds. A lot of growers don't care and do use it, just my personal preference. When you think about it, you have several hundred dollars already invested in tents and equipment and seeds, a few more dollars for good media is just a good investment. A 4oz plant has a street value of over $600 so just one good plant will pay back most if not all of what you have invested now.

This is a primer on using salt nutrients to grow healthy plants. It may help you understand what the plants need to grow.

:toke:
Regarding ReCharge, besides organic growing do you also see utility and recommend it for use as a broad-spectrum beneficial microbial inoculant, and in soilless media?

For example, I use it in feeding coco/perlite about 1x/week (using ~1/3rd recommended dose after the first few treatments).

Last edited:
Regarding ReCharge, besides organic growing do you also see utility and recommend it for use as a broad-spectrum beneficial microbial inoculant, and in soilless media?

For example, I use it in feeding coco/perlite about 1x/week (using ~1/3rd recommended dose after the first few treatments).
No, I do not. If you maintain the moisture content in your media properly the microbes should multiply on their own once it has been inoculated. If you screw up and it gets too dry or you need to do a major flush because you overfeed or don't feed to enough run-off then a re-inoculation can be beneficial. We all have problems staying in the sweet spot for moisture but too dry is the worst for your microbes followed by too wet which favors anaerobic nasties.

Ps. Yucca powder has some nutrient value to microbes, I use as a surfactant to help maintain my drippers, feeding the microbes is just a side benefit.

Back