New Grower Tent issues tips and tricks

Daipot

Growing photoperiod trees
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Hi guys. I've got a bit of an issue.

I got two seeds that are blooming lovely so far. Their a week old tomorrow and they're about an inch and a half above the ground and both have a little bit of the husk still attached to them. I would pick them off but I'm quite heavy handed and I would quite probably rip the plant in two haha.

So the issue I have is this:

These two seeds are currently under 600w sodium inside a tent that is two meteres tall. The tent is coated on the inside with Mylar so it is very bright in there. Also there are three fans that are currently keeping the tent around 30c region. The problem that I might have is that is the bulb too strong and too far away for an autoflower? My worry is that the stems might stretch but I'm thinking that because the inside of the tent is so reflective it my deter the plant from stretching so much.
Will I be fine carrying on the way I am? If the plants stretch what is the final outcome of this?

Thanks guys

Is your light on any type of ratchet / yoyo, light hanger, can you lower and raise it..... If not get some, they are cheap and well worth it. You can then raise and lower the lights (and other stuff) as required... easy.

I keep my seedlings under a med/high (2ft or so) 600W HPS with a humidity dome or something like cling film over the pot, to keep high humidity (up to 70%RH), for the first week or so.

If you are lucky enough to have a LED lying around, use that as a starter lamp... keeps the nodes tight together.

You can always raise the plant pots up if you don't have ratchets... just another upturned plant pot underneath... etc.

If you have an extraction fan, turn it on... If not try and vent some hot air out the tent, to drop the temp a little. Open a upper ducting hole and position one of your fans to blow the air out.... Open a bottom duct to let cooler air in, you can also place one of your fans here to help draw air in..

I never remove the "husk" it will drop off when ready.

Good luck Bro.... Post a pic sometime.

Last edited:
Is your light on any type of ratchet / yoyo, light hanger, can you lower and raise it..... If not get some, they are cheap and well worth it. You can then raise and lower the lights (and other stuff) as required... easy.

I keep my seedlings under a med/high (2ft or so) 600W HPS with a humidity dome or something like cling film over the pot, to keep high humidity (up to 70%RH), for the first week or so.

If you are lucky enough to have a LED lying around, use that as a starter lamp... keeps the nodes tight together.

You can always raise the plant pots up if you don't have ratchets... just another upturned plant pot underneath... etc.

If you have an extraction fan, turn it on... If not try and vent some hot air out the tent, to drop the temp a little. Open a upper ducting hole and position one of your fans to blow the air out.... Open a bottom duct to let cooler air in, you can also place one of your fans here to help draw air in..

I never remove the "husk" it will drop off when ready.

Good luck Bro.... Post a pic sometime.

Thanks man. More adequate ventilation is key at this time. I will be buying a third fan tomorrow to try and create a light vortex in there. I have been thinking of putting my exhaust, which is a 250w inline fan, tight in top hole of the tent but given that it's so close to my bulb I'm a little worried that the heat will stress the fan. Is this something I should be concerned by or shall I just stick it up there and see how she goes?

Should be OK.... if it's a decent fan.

Expand a little on your set up... i.e. What size tent W x D x 2mtr and what size fan 4"/5"/6"/etc ?

It all helps with ideas.

Should be OK.... if it's a decent fan.

Expand a little on your set up... i.e. What size tent W x D x 2mtr and what size fan 4"/5"/6"/etc ?

It all helps with ideas.
The tent is is 1.2x1.2x 2 meteres. The fans are all 6". Circulating air has also become an issue. Me and my partner are just about to go and change the lay out of the tent so the extractor will be as close to the top as possible

Do you have any sort of "In-Line" Duct fan.... or just "Clip type Fan's" ?

Do you have any sort of "In-Line" Duct fan.... or just "Clip type Fan's" ?
It's an inline fan for extraction and clip fans for air circulation

OK.... a 6" fan can handle it - depending on surrounding ambient temps, a fan alone can not reduce below the intake ambient air temp, so there are a number of alternatives if heat is an issue:-
To reduce the tent temps try:-
  • remember to obtain the Temp readings from the plant canopy height
  • reposition your extraction fan outside the top of the tent.. (fan outside tent is less heat in tent - however small it all adds up) extract from a high point - heat rises.
  • make the air intake at the lowest possible opening and supply it with the coolest freshest air you can
  • position a fan to draw the air in from the tents lower duct openings/intake ports
  • position a clip fan directly to the underside of the reflector to blow hot air away from the plant canopy
  • much better would be a 5" ducted intake fan & fan speed /temp controler (if funds allow)
  • you can cool the air with a reasonably cheap humidifier
  • get cooled hoods for lights
  • upgrade fans / filters....etc
The list goes on and gets more expensive....

Try moving the fan and other free stuff first....

Last edited:
OK.... a 6" fan can handle it - depending on surrounding ambient temps, a fan alone can not reduce below the intake ambient air temp, so there are a number of alternatives if heat is an issue:-
To reduce the tent temps try:-
  • remember to obtain the Temp readings from the plant canopy height
  • reposition your extraction fan outside the top of the tent.. (fan outside tent is less heat in tent - however small it all adds up).
  • make the air intake at the lowest possible opening and supply it with the coolest freshest air you can
  • position a fan to draw the air in from the tents lower duct openings/intake ports
  • position a clip fan directly to the underside of the reflector to blow hot air away from the plant canopy
  • much better would be a 5" ducted intake fan & fan speed /temp controler (if funds allow)
  • you can cool the air with a reasonably cheap humidifier
  • get cooled hoods for lights
  • upgrade fans / filters....etc
The list goes on and gets more expensive....

Try moving the fan and other free stuff first....
I've positioned the extractor fan at the top of the tent with the 6inch fan near then bottom. I also opened A small window at the very bottom of the tent and poitioned a fan on the outside to blow cooler air into the tent. The temp now 29-30c. I still have a issue with the lamp being too far from the tent however but I can address that tomorrow

Back