The Manic Mushroom

good shout @Jpkindbud - the setting is king, so for your lads that is just perfect, and wholeheartedly agree about growing vs buying.
Over your side of the pond you are really spoilt for choice, and with some incredeibly reputable companies out there.
Right now I am growing some cambodian - they are stronger than Golden Teachers.
As a total noob, I went for a all in one sealed jobbie - this is a few runs in now and they work just fine - inject the ports and sit in a dark place at a set temp for tw weks then when colonised take it out of the dark pretty simple
here is the nearly colonised Cambodian - the bag stays totally sealed until the shrooms get cut - it sits in a tub with a thermostat heatmat set at 26
IMG_5801.jpeg
IMG_5800.jpeg

Haver fun! :pass:

good shout @Jpkindbud - the setting is king, so for your lads that is just perfect, and wholeheartedly agree about growing vs buying.
Over your side of the pond you are really spoilt for choice, and with some incredeibly reputable companies out there.
Right now I am growing some cambodian - they are stronger than Golden Teachers.
As a total noob, I went for a all in one sealed jobbie - this is a few runs in now and they work just fine - inject the ports and sit in a dark place at a set temp for tw weks then when colonised take it out of the dark pretty simple
here is the nearly colonised Cambodian - the bag stays totally sealed until the shrooms get cut - it sits in a tub with a thermostat heatmat set at 26
View attachment 1568676View attachment 1568677

Haver fun! :pass:
Thanks , yup looks like that’s the plan. Prob go the pre inoculated route

I've been looking into growing these for a while. No idea what I'm doing. So you can take one of those sterilized bags, inject it. Keep it warm and dark, dump it in a tub and turn the lights on? Basically?

I've been looking into growing these for a while. No idea what I'm doing. So you can take one of those sterilized bags, inject it. Keep it warm and dark, dump it in a tub and turn the lights on? Basically?

Basically yes. You'll want a grain bag and at least equal amounts substrate. But there are some all in one bags as well, I haven't tried them though.

Basically yes. You'll want a grain bag and at least equal amounts substrate. But there are some all in one bags as well, I haven't tried them though.
So the grain bag gets innoculated and then that gets mixed with the coco or whatever in the tub? I've been looking into doing this with the bags of Uncle Ben's Rice. Never seen these pre made bags before. There's so many different ways people do it, it's hard to just find something simple :shrug:

So the grain bag gets innoculated and then that gets mixed with the coco or whatever in the tub? I've been looking into doing this with the bags of Uncle Ben's Rice. Never seen these pre made bags before. There's so many different ways people do it, it's hard to just find something simple :shrug:
That’s what I’m looking for , something simple… dipping toes in so to speak. Once I learn the basics I can expand my knowledge.

That’s what I’m looking for , something simple… dipping toes in so to speak. Once I learn the basics I can expand my knowledge.
Same. I'd like something simple that'll at least produce something. Just for me so I don't need a lot to start. I've already got seed mats, tubs and plenty of coco laying around. If I just need one of those bags and a spore syringe I can make that happen

pretty much @JP1 - you learn quickly that dirt is your enemy, clean and sterile conditions are the order of the day... once you get over the sterile hurdle, it is pretty straight forward.
the bags can come in various forms, bags or tubs, that are ready to be inoculated or already have been. The grain needs to fully colonise, which is easy, it sits in the dark (with the right temp setting) for a couple of weeks, then once it is all white - take it out the dark, a couple of weeks later you have shrooms.

I am a total noob, but I can certainly try to help avoid the mistakes I made which has set me up in the sense that the last two runs have worked.
First few failed and it was clear why
- Contamination (stuff in the air can contaminate - keep everything sterile and clean, cover hands and mouth etc...)
- Temp - the first two runs I ran just in the box and they were very slow and ultimately failed - oce i rigged the temp controlled heat mat the game changed - set at 25/26, the grain colonises faster and more evenly and the mushies grow faster and bigger - keep the temps constant
- RH - keep it humid, always above 90%

They are the three things that ensured failure when I started
Hope that helps - shout anytime and good luck :cheers:

Same. I'd like something simple that'll at least produce something. Just for me so I don't need a lot to start. I've already got seed mats, tubs and plenty of coco laying around. If I just need one of those bags and a spore syringe I can make that happen
on the mushroom forum I peruse, NorthSpore seems to be the way to go in North America - they even have ready colonised bags, so you dont even need to inject, just take it out of the wrapping, and set to fruit.

Back