Day 70 Update

Bud Drying

I am trying a "slow dry" for this grow.

The plan is for both plants to have the first 2 days of drying by hanging the whole plant (roots cut off) upside down without any trim.

This part of the dry starts in a dak controlled environment, with a temp of 19.5 Deg c (67 Deg f) & 50%Rh

Gradually I anticipate reducing the Rh down to 45%(ish) over a week period, as the plants dry.

After the first 2 days the fan leaves and non useful growth is removed, and the plant cut into smaller stems

These will be rehung and dried for another 5 days or so, continuing the "slow dry" before final trim.

Timing may vary, as this is my first attempt at a "slow dry" like this. If it takes longer, so be it.

:shrug:

In the photos below, note one plant was taken a day before the other.

The first below shows the whole plant (plant No 2) in the drying tent, after two days of drying.

Day 70 Dry A.jpg

The second photo (below) shows plant No 1, this was harvested first, a day before the other (shown alongside it).

This plant has has now been cut into into stems and rehung in the drying tent, it has had a total of 3 days drying.

Day 70 Dry B.jpg

Buds are sticky and the smell is nice.and sweet.

As you can see, it looks a good solid harvest.

-------------------------------------------------

The environment is holding well and easy to monitor using the pulse app.

Below is a chart showing the drying tent conditions, holding stable with a Temp of 19.6c and 48%Rh

:vibe:

Day 70 Dry Pulse.jpg

:pass:

Whats the thinking behind hanging full plants for 2 days before you cut/trim and re-hang?

It's to do with the theory of the plant extracting whatever it needs from the water/fan leaves, thereby slowing down the dry.

Under cool conditions the plant’s cells can stay alive for up to 72 hours after cutting.

Cells on the surface of the plant die first, and the ones farther inside die last.

During the early part of drying, the plant consumes some of its store of water and carbohydrates from the stem, water & fan leaves.

If dried too fast, the buds use up fewer of those stored starches, resulting in a harsher smoke.

Just something I read somewhere, sometime back, and always thought... Sounds logical, I'll give that a go one day....

This is the time to try it.

It's to do with the theory of the plant extracting whatever it needs from the water/fan leaves, thereby slowing down the dry.

Under cool conditions the plant’s cells can stay alive for up to 72 hours after cutting.

Cells on the surface of the plant die first, and the ones farther inside die last.

During the early part of drying, the plant consumes some of its store of water and carbohydrates from the stem, water & fan leaves.

If dried too fast, the buds use up fewer of those stored starches, resulting in a harsher smoke.

Just something I read somewhere, sometime back, and always thought... Sounds logical, I'll give that a go one day....

This is the time to try it.

Thanks. So its all about a encouraging a slower dry. Slower dry = better smoke. Not to mention the cure after that of course.

It will be interesting to see if the dry time is longer for you.

Thanks. So its all about a encouraging a slower dry. Slower dry = better smoke. Not to mention the cure after that of course.

It will be interesting to see if the dry time is longer for you.

Yep, in a nutshell... "Slower dry = better smoke", It should be smoother but it also should help in keeping potency and flavour, not to mention a better starting point for the cure.

Time will tell !

In the summer it is very dry here and even with a swamp cooler RH is <60% so I hang the whole plant for a day or two to slow down the drying and even at that it may only take 3 days before ready to jar. I jar at <70% It is much easier for me to jar a little wet and put on the drying rack for short periods than it is to try to re-hydrate bud that got too dry! In the winter I just hang big branches with the sun leaves removed. This is a picture of a recent fall harvest.

harvest1.jpg

Update Day 7 Drying

The plants have been drying in the tent for 7 Days, by holding at a target temp of 65 Deg F and a Rh of 47%

One plant has been dried whole, hanging upside down.

One plant has separated into smaller stems after 3 days drying and rehung to finish the dry. .

I have just started dry trimming the buds (about half first plant done) using the "Trim Bin" to collect trics from trim.

As the buds are trimmed they will be put into jars to start the cure.

No final weights as yet, will update as ready.

The buds are full of frosty goodness, and a few smokes in I can tell they are hitting the spot.

Happy with the way everything has gone.

:vibe:

A couple of pics from today...

7 Day Drying.jpg

7 Day Drying B.jpg

7 Day Drying C.jpg

7 Day Drying D.jpg

Pulse 7 Day Drying .jpg

Final Update

Plant 1 has been dry trimmed and put into Jars for the cure.

Plant 2 has been sent for processing - into some oil & gummy goodies (via a friend).

The final weight (dry) for plant 1 is....

10.98 ounces (or 309 grams if you prefer)

Final.jpg

Not bad from the smaller plant of the 2 grown.

A few buds were taken for test smokes etc, so I can safely say just over 11 ounces in total

Happy with the quality of the bud, a little bit more airy than usual, but I can live with that.

I liked the slow dry, and drying the full plant upside down preserved the trics on the bud, in my opinion.

But, it was a bastard to dry trim by hand - however, I would do it that way again, it sure gives a nice smooth quality smoke.

I also have a nice lot of kief from the trim (used the "Harvest More - Trim Bin" to collect it).:drool:

Final 2.jpg

The bud is still very frosty, dry but still sticky from the overload of trics, Oh, and the smell is divine.

As I said, the test smokes are spot on for what I wanted from this plant.

So wrapping it up for this grow... A cured smoke report will be published in due course.

Onwards and Upwards...

@CannaZone Tier 1

Last edited:
Final Update

Plant 1 has been dry trimmed and put into Jars for the cure.

Plant 2 has been sent for processing - into some oil & gummy goodies (via a friend).

The final weight (dry) for plant 1 is....

10.98 ounces (or 309 grams if you prefer)

View attachment 1001172

Not bad from the smaller plant of the 2 grown.

A few buds were taken for test smokes etc, so I can safely say just over 11 ounces in total

Happy with the quality of the bud, a little bit more airy than usual, but I can live with that.

I liked the slow dry, and drying the full plant upside down preserved the trics on the bud, in my opinion.

But, it was a bastard to dry trim by hand - however, I would do it that way again, it sure gives a nice smooth quality smoke.

I also have a nice lot of kief from the trim (used the "Harvest More - Trim Bin" to collect it).:drool:

View attachment 1001175

The bud is still very frosty, dry but still sticky from the overload of trics, Oh, and the smell is divine.

As I said, the test smokes are spot on for what I wanted from this plant.

So wrapping it up for this grow... A cured smoke report will be published in due course.

Onwards and Upwards...

@CannaZone Tier 1

Nice one, can't wait to get the gorilla glue going! Amazing yield pal!

Back