Timing with C.S. which do i germinate first? males or females

rshackleferd

Welcome to the CannaZone
Reaction score
I have some auto "stable" feminized seeds i would like to reverse with c.s. and i was wondering which gender do i start with first so both plants will be fertile at the same time. Do i plant the potential male first or the female first? I heard reversal can take up to fifteen days. I have looked all over this site and getting some conflicting ideas. Some say start with your males and some say females?

start males 1 - 2 weeks before females. They need time to stop producing female hormones then grow male flowers then open and release the pollen. You dont want your female to die before your seeds are ready

Hi there rshackleferd, keep in mind that you can harvest pollen from your male and keep it in a vial with a couple grains of rice. (Make sure there is no plant matter in the vial as this can cause moisture issues. The small vials that many seeds come in are great for this. Pollen in the vial, add a couple few grains of dry rice to absorb moisture. After collecting pollen and adding rice, cap the vial and leave in a dark place for an hour or so to let rice suck up moisture in vial. then place in lightproof container and stash in the fridge. Doing this will allow you to keep more pollen on hand then what you use to knock up your lady. Pollen can be kept for up to a year this way sometimes and still remain viable so it also gives you the opportunity to pollinate your "prized female" even if you only have a few going. Kind of a mini selective breeding process. Just my :2cents:

Good luck with the grow and the seed run.

L4:joint:

imo it is personal choice (unless your timming is way off) on one hand your female can be pollinated at the very earliest she is ready and give you nothing smokable and all seeds , on the other hand (my favorite) is to start the female first , she will have lotsa pistils to collect the flying pollin and give you not only a lot of seeds but also some material to smoke , but as someone mentioned , you could pollinate late and she could completely die before the seeds are ready , but i myself have let plants go way beyond their recomended/needed time and the seeds finished maturing

timming is everything , if your not experienced with this method or perhaps just not with the strains you are useing then id say do the male (soon to be male) first because as L4 mentioned , you can store the pollin if it comes too soon ,,,,, omg no pun intended

best of luck and peace :cool:

Back