Topical root balm with extra's

alcohol will extract the cannabinoids from bud, leaf and stem....it can then be used as is or evaporated away to get a tar like cannabis oil....however with cannabis roots there is not much that will be extracted using alcohol, IME and to my knowledge [I could be wrong...if so speak up....I'm always willing to learn :D ]
As a rule fats, oils and alcohol-like solvents [butane, hexane, isopropynol, even high proof drinking alcohols...and more....this is by far not a complete list!] will extract or absorb cannabinoids, from all of the plant except the roots...oils and fats WILL extract from the roots....so it's more a matter of preference, availability and what you intend to use the final product for.

One could use the infused oil or fat neat, as is....or one could add thickening agents to make anything from something as soft as jelly [jell-o] to a hard paste...[a paste made from cannabis root is an old tried and true recipe from waaay back when]....one can also add cannabinoids extracted via solvents to honey, evaporate it off and have a cannabinoid in honey suspension....and theoretically keep adding more infused solvent to the honey, evapping it off and increasing the cannabinoid to honey ratio, loading it quite heavily....again, it's a matter of preference, use and availability.

LB

I use co-co nut oil for my balm because it is made of medium and short chain triglyserides....they absorb very fast into the skin....emu oil absorbs even faster! ....I use an olive oil base for my doggy products so it will stick on and absorb in slower....to the doggy balm I add pure beeswax to thicken it, but it is just as viable to use straight infused olive oil as a massage oil also.

one might even use bacon fat!
il_fullxfull.260106358.jpg

il_fullxfull.379375870_c196.jpg

jds-bacon-lip-balm-thumb-300x250-6278.jpg

of course......one might get licked to death by dogs when going for a walk! :D

Last edited:
Carchofa,

IF you start using/consuming the whole plant and not just smoke medicine, you will start feeling better all the way around. There are some other healing threads here where we are helping people heal themselves with not just cannabis, but othre lesser know remedies. Check out the medical forum, and ask some questions, lot of questions, and give info on as much medical infor about yourself so peeps can help you.

Check out this link:

CARCHOFA's Link to Healing

And,

Carchofa's Link to other medical stuff

bfn,

Eek

Thanks a lot of the links!! I only smoke medicine sometimes but now I don't have any serious pathology, only I have sometimes muscle aches. However I want to prepare it bacause I do massages and this will be work really good I think...

Thanks for the links:bow:

alcohol will extract the cannabinoids from bud, leaf and stem....it can then be used as is or evaporated away to get a tar like cannabis oil....however with cannabis roots there is not much that will be extracted using alcohol, IME and to my knowledge [I could be wrong...if so speak up....I'm always willing to learn :D ]
As a rule fats, oils and alcohol-like solvents [butane, hexane, isopropynol, even high proof drinking alcohols...and more....this is by far not a complete list!] will extract or absorb cannabinoids, from all of the plant except the roots...oils and fats WILL extract from the roots....so it's more a matter of preference, availability and what you intend to use the final product for.

One could use the infused oil or fat neat, as is....or one could add thickening agents to make anything from something as soft as jelly [jell-o] to a hard paste...[a paste made from cannabis root is an old tried and true recipe from waaay back when]....one can also add cannabinoids extracted via solvents to honey, evaporate it off and have a cannabinoid in honey suspension....and theoretically keep adding more infused solvent to the honey, evapping it off and increasing the cannabinoid to honey ratio, loading it quite heavily....again, it's a matter of preference, use and availability.

LB

I use co-co nut oil for my balm because it is made of medium and short chain triglyserides....they absorb very fast into the skin....emu oil absorbs even faster! ....I use an olive oil base for my doggy products so it will stick on and absorb in slower....to the doggy balm I add pure beeswax to thicken it, but it is just as viable to use straight infused olive oil as a massage oil also.

one might even use bacon fat!
il_fullxfull.260106358.jpg

il_fullxfull.379375870_c196.jpg

jds-bacon-lip-balm-thumb-300x250-6278.jpg

of course......one might get licked to death by dogs when going for a walk! :D

I'm very grateful for the info :dance2: but I need to know about in wich temperature I have to prepare the oil with the plant material... It has to boil?
The alcohol ointment it's ok but with oil it will be slowly absorbed...

:clap:

?-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) Boiling point: 157*C / 314.6 degree Fahrenheit Properties: Euphoriant, Analgesic, Antiinflammatory, Antioxidant, Antiemetic

cannabidiol (CBD) Boiling point: 160-180*C / 320-356 degree Fahrenheit Properties: Anxiolytic, Analgesic, Antipsychotic, Antiinflammatory, Antioxidant, Antispasmodic

Cannabinol (CBN) Boiling point: 185*C / 365 degree Fahrenheit Properties: Oxidation, breakdown, product, Sedative, Antibiotic

cannabichromene (CBC) Boiling point: 220*C / 428 degree Fahrenheit Properties: Antiinflammatory, Antibiotic, Antifungal

cannabigerol (CBG) Boiling point: MP52 Properties: Antiinflammatory, Antibiotic, Antifungal

?-8-tetrahydrocannabinol (?-8-THC) Boiling point: 175-178*C / 347-352.4 degree Fahrenheit Properties: Resembles ?-9-THC, Less psychoactive, More stable Antiemetic

tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV) Boiling point: < 220*C / <428 degree Fahrenheit Properties: Analgesic, Euphoriant

Terpenoid essential oils, their boiling points, and properties

ß-myrcene Boiling point: 166-168*C / 330.8-334.4 degree Fahrenheit Properties: Analgesic. Antiinflammatory, Antibiotic, Antimutagenic

ß-caryophyllene Boiling point: 119*C / 246.2 degree Fahrenheit Properties: Antiinflammatory, Cytoprotective (gastric mucosa), Antimalarial

d-limonene Boiling point: 177*C / 350.6 degree Fahrenheit Properties: Cannabinoid agonist?, Immune potentiator, Antidepressant, Antimutagenic

linalool Boiling point: 198*C / 388.4 degree Fahrenheit Properties: Sedative, Antidepressant, Anxiolytic, Immune potentiator

pulegone Boiling point: 224*C / 435.2 degree Fahrenheit Properties: Memory booster?, AChE inhibitor, Sedative, Antipyretic

1,8-cineole (eucalyptol) Boiling point: 176*C / 348.8 degree Fahrenheit Properties: AChE inhibitor, Increases cerebral, blood flow, Stimulant, Antibiotic, Antiviral, Antiinflammatory, Antinociceptive

a-pinene Boiling point: 156*C / 312.8 degree Fahrenheit Properties: Antiinflammatory, Bronchodilator, Stimulant, Antibiotic, Antineoplastic, AChE inhibitor

a-terpineol Boiling point: 217-218*C / 422.6-424.4 degree Fahrenheit Properties: Sedative, Antibiotic, AChE inhibitor, Antioxidant, Antimalarial

terpineol-4-ol Boiling point: 209*C / 408.2 degree Fahrenheit Properties: AChE inhibitor. Antibiotic

p-cymene Boiling point: 177*C / 350.6 degree Fahrenheit Properties: Antibiotic, Anticandidal, AChE inhibitor

Flavonoid and phytosterol components, their boiling points, and properties

apigenin Boiling point: 178*C / 352.4 degree Fahrenheit Properties: Anxiolytic, Antiinflammatory, Estrogenic

quercetin Boiling point: 250*C / 482 degree Fahrenheit Properties: Antioxidant, Antimutagenic, Antiviral, Antineoplastic

cannflavin A Boiling point: 182*C / 359.6 degree Fahrenheit Properties: COX inhibitor, LO inhibitor

ß-sitosterol Boiling point: 134*C / 273.2 degree Fahrenheit Properties: Antiinflammatory, 5-a-reductase, inhibitor

This might help :check:

Stay at or about 110*C and you should be fine

View attachment Cannabis and Cannabis Extracts.pdf

http://skunkpharmresearch.com/extracting-with-oils-and-fats/

http://skunkpharmresearch.com/decarboxylation/

LB

Last edited:
This looks so much like the recipe for QWISO. Did you use grain alcohol or isopropyl alcohol?
Thanks a lot for your replies!
@Root 66: thanks for the info:thumbs: At the moment I only have some resinous buds from last season. I think it will work good because they are potent. tHE INFO i read tell that we can do ointment with crushed buds and resinous leaves.
I write here if you don't mind...:

So now I have some doubts:
-The oil will be better for doing massages than the preparration with alcohol? This product can be mixed with vaseline or moisturizer?

-The preparation made with oil at wich temperature has to be cooked? Can I use some olive oil instead of coconut oil?

Thanks a lot for helping me... it's my first time...

I never thought to use the "tar" as an ointment. I learn something new here every day. OMG AFN has changed my life. LOL

Thanks a lot for your replies!
@Root 66: thanks for the info:thumbs: At the moment I only have some resinous buds from last season. I think it will work good because they are potent. tHE INFO i read tell that we can do ointment with crushed buds and resinous leaves.
I write here if you don't mind...:

So now I have some doubts:
-The oil will be better for doing massages than the preparration with alcohol? This product can be mixed with vaseline or moisturizer?

-The preparation made with oil at wich temperature has to be cooked? Can I use some olive oil instead of coconut oil?

Thanks a lot for helping me... it's my first time...

carchofa,

In my opinion, the ointment you described would be good for healing wounds. Similar to what I used to heal mine.
But...I do not use solvents for extracting cannabis unless I'm making a tincture, and then I will only use consumable alcohol. Reason being you have to make sure you purge it of any toxins. It may be safe but I don't want to take that chance.

Massage oil can be made with olive oil and/or coconut oil. Since I make a lot of different products, I usually extract with coconut oil and then (for massage oil) will add olive oil to it. We like it 50/50, it absorbs well and is not very greasy.
LB provided a nice temperature resource.

I would suggest making a batch of infused coconut oil and after you have the puck separated from the water (it is solid at this point) take a little out, melt it in a double boiler, measure it and add olive oil. Play with different ratios and if you are going to add essential oil or wax.

One more suggestion;
Have a basic recipe written down. Put it in a document protector.
Use a grease pen to make notes or any changes you make ( you can't always see the effect of your changes right away - how it feels or absorbs, or after it has set for a day or more.)
Note what coconut oil and olive oil you use. That will make a difference too. I like to add a light olive oil for massage.

There are many herbs that help with sore muscles and arthritis that can be added (my next adventure). Aromatic herbs can be calming and relaxing during a massage too.

Have fun with this and let us know how it works for you!

One more suggestion;
Have a basic recipe written down. Put it in a document protector.
Use a grease pen to make notes or any changes you make ( you can't always see the effect of your changes right away - how it feels or absorbs, or after it has set for a day or more.)
Note what coconut oil and olive oil you use. That will make a difference too. I like to add a light olive oil for massage.

Very good suggestion... :D
kudos!

LB

TheLittleBoyWhoPointed: thanks for the links! i Will read them slowly because I'm learning english... :D

Root66: thanks very much for the advices!

I have good news :dance2:: I have talked with a friend that has made a lot of canna healing products and he explained me that he makes it like an ointment that we use to make here with san juan's flower:

P1010660.JPG

He put the leaves with resin and the buds in olive oil and let it under the sun 40 days. Then put the recipient 40 days more in the dark and we will get medicinal oil that can be used for massages or for taking...
He told me that if I hot the oil with the herb it can lose some properties... I don't know... I think that it won't happen if we control the temp.
He is doing it for years and it works great.

I will tell you how works...

Back