Turning a shoddy shed into a groovy ganja growroom

I don't think it works like beneficial bacteria, Wile dude.
I think it's a fungus that actually grows on the roots themselves, forming a symbiotic partnership .. the fungus vastly increases the root's ability to absorb nutrients, apparently.
The reason I'm so excited about this stuff, is that it's already been responsible for growing 58 kilo turnips..!! Yep, kilos. One turnip.
Being a fungus, it's dependent on certain soil and humidity conditions, making it only suitable for use in particular climates, the UK being the main one, naturally as it was developed over here.

As far as I know, it's untested on weed ... or maybe it has and they've never been seen again since, who knows?
Or maybe it failed miserably.
My thinking is that if it had been tested and it was a great success, then we'd all know about it, wouldn't we?
We'll soon find out ....

:kitty:
Sounds good look forward to seeing how it turns out [emoji106]

I toke therfore I am so naaa

I don't think it works like beneficial bacteria, Wile dude.
I think it's a fungus that actually grows on the roots themselves, forming a symbiotic partnership .. the fungus vastly increases the root's ability to absorb nutrients, apparently.
The reason I'm so excited about this stuff, is that it's already been responsible for growing 58 kilo turnips..!! Yep, kilos. One turnip.
Being a fungus, it's dependent on certain soil and humidity conditions, making it only suitable for use in particular climates, the UK being the main one, naturally as it was developed over here.

As far as I know, it's untested on weed ... or maybe it has and they've never been seen again since, who knows?
Or maybe it failed miserably.
My thinking is that if it had been tested and it was a great success, then we'd all know about it, wouldn't we?
We'll soon find out ....

:kitty:

Also, I think it's meant to go into the ground, and I was too late this summer to test it. This coming season though .. absolutely. Meanwhile, I'll just try 2 plants with it in pots, leave the other 2 alone.
geeze, can turnips be smoked. lol

Ok, I thought I'd post an update with some insight into the pros and cons of shed-growing for future shed-dwellers.

First, I haven't found any cons yet..! It's been a very positive experience thus far.
But there are some lessons I'd like to share.

Insulation. After weatherproofing the shed, this I've found to be one of the most important factors in achieving success. It may seem obvious me saying that, but don't skimp, it's very important. Throw as much cash as you can at it.

So, some detail ...
When I started in the reception room first, the main growroom wasn't heated ........ fuck this, room A and room B.

When I first started in A, B wasn't heated, so I used a small fan heater set to it's lowest possible setting, just to take the chill off the air. The vegging chamber had a tubular heater on constantly, so the temps in A stabilised at between 19C and 23C, the vegging chamber between 24C and 26C. Perfect.

I didn't insulate the dividing wall between the two chambers deliberately, as I wanted some ambient heat from the growroom to get through .. a little bit of energy conservation helps keep the bills down!

Now, I've found that since B was fired up, A has been getting a bit too warm .. it was at 26C in the room and 28C in the veg chamber this morning when I got there. Humidity at about 25%. Phew! baking. So, the fan heater's off tonight. Back to more temp monitoring. Flipside, B was like The Congo upon entry, my glasses partially steamed up immediately and max/min temps had held between 25C and 26C constantly, but the humidity was up to 78% ... wow. Know I understand why it's such a big problem for indoor growers .. same size plants, same size pots, same size room .. but different lights and a much more sealed environment, so nowhere for the moisture to go. Hmmm. Glad I've got a dehumidifier then, methinks.

Getting the balance right takes time, you have to constantly tweak.
I'm also getting jiggy with the ventilation too. I've had to. This is another addition to the equation ...

I've found that my plan of drawing my intake air for B from A, to be working a treat. As the air's already heated, the temp changes before and after an air-exchange to be no more than a degree or two. However, I'm only operating the fans for 2 minutes every 6 hours, I'm guessing a 6 Cu.Mtr. room has enough CO2 in it for 4 tiny plants at the moment, but I am aware that this will increase exponentially as the plants grow. Next it'll be 2 minutes every 3 hours, increasing to 2 minutes every hour, with a lesser frequency during lights-out. For the maths-inquisitive, the 6" exhaust fan (the important one) can shift 480 Cu. Mtrs an hour set to 'low', so it takes less than a minutes to suck all the air out .. 2 minutes just makes sure.

Of course, I can forget all this venting shit when I get CO2 installed. Sorry, delivered.
The pipes are already in .. he he. And it's becoming more and more of an attractive proposition daily.

Bottom line, grow's going really well so far ... https://www.autoflower.org/threads/buds-shed-first-test-grow.56833/page-8

Well, I'm glad no-one read the last post, because since Sunday I've had to come up with a plan B..!

I really wasn't expecting this at all ... overheating!! Mid-winter in a shed.
This is January in the UK ffs ... it's not supposed to be 10C outside ...

The growroom (B) got up to 30C today, without any heating ... just lights and an oscillating fan. And the idea of drawing my intake air from chamber A was now working against me ... it wasn't cooling the room down much at all as the air was already at 24C going in ... I had to open the door to the growroom and also open the main shed door ... a major security risk if I didn't have the two chambers and a curtain over the main door.

This system was designed with Winter in mind .. cold outside.
It felt more like Spring today ... but at least I now have an insight into what's to come.

Shed-growing's a lot more hands-on than I thought ... you can leave it all to run just fine if the outside temps remain stable, but if they leap around like they are here in the UK at the moment ... well, you're up and down the garden path like a yo-yo and it's making it difficult to find the right balance.

What I need is a computer-controlled climate-monitoring system with multiple sensors and remote activation.
With webcams.

.... workin' on it..! :smoking:

Well, I'm glad no-one read the last post, because since Sunday I've had to come up with a plan B..!

I really wasn't expecting this at all ... overheating!! Mid-winter in a shed.
This is January in the UK ffs ... it's not supposed to be 10C outside ...

The growroom (B) got up to 30C today, without any heating ... just lights and an oscillating fan. And the idea of drawing my intake air from chamber A was now working against me ... it wasn't cooling the room down much at all as the air was already at 24C going in ... I had to open the door to the growroom and also open the main shed door ... a major security risk if I didn't have the two chambers and a curtain over the main door.

This system was designed with Winter in mind .. cold outside.
It felt more like Spring today ... but at least I now have an insight into what's to come.

Shed-growing's a lot more hands-on than I thought ... you can leave it all to run just fine if the outside temps remain stable, but if they leap around like they are here in the UK at the moment ... well, you're up and down the garden path like a yo-yo and it's making it difficult to find the right balance.

What I need is a computer-controlled climate-monitoring system with multiple sensors and remote activation.
With webcams.

.... workin' on it..! :smoking:
until then it's farming as usual, lol

Thanks @trailanimal ... I spoke too soon didn't I?

Man, it's amazing how small differences in 'operation' change everything.
For example, a dehumidifier raises the temp by a couple of degrees C. So does turning the dimmable side LEDs up by 10% ...
The heater in there's almost become redundant ... the very opposite of my expectations.

Edit: I've just studied your avatar .. were you on Acid when you put that together ? he he

Thanks @trailanimal ... I spoke too soon didn't I?

Man, it's amazing how small differences in 'operation' change everything.
For example, a dehumidifier raises the temp by a couple of degrees C. So does turning the dimmable side LEDs up by 10% ...
The heater in there's almost become redundant ... the very opposite of my expectations.

Edit: I've just studied your avatar .. were you on Acid when you put that together ? he he
no, just my normal one foot in one foot out reality, comes with having a psychoactive dominate personality

Back