New Grower Vapor's 2nd Grow and the Tale of the Auto White Cheese (and a few photo strains)

No Pro-Mix retailers near me :( Any thoughts on any of these organic soils?

Fox Farm Ocean Forest
Espoma Organic Potting Soil
Black Gold Organic Soil
Hoffman Organic Soil

LOL, those UPS and FedEx guys and gals are used to lifting heavy packages. They might curse you under their breath but it is part of their job description so they can't really complain. I don't order grow medium on line simply because of the shipping charges. The shipping on a bale of Pro Mix is more than the cost of the Pro Mix itself. But if you can get free shipping, I don't see how you can lose. Premier Horticulture, the manufacturer of Pro Mix, has an on line retailer locator. You might be able to find someone in your area who is carrying it. Just hit the modify button and enter your info. http://growingyourpassion.com/en/retailer-locator/.

Yea I work for UPS and we don't mind bringing ya soils!lol : )
Whatever it takes to help a fellow grower! :lol: good luck on you grows!!:smokebuds:

Day 38 Update and PHOTOS!

Day 38 - FINALLY hooked up carbon scrubber. Using the 240 CFM 6" inline fan to draw air out of it vented to the outside of the tent. Will replace that fan with the 400 CFM when it gets here. After a few hours immediately noticed a smell difference. Still have to fix the cooling on my 1000w fixture; currently have it sucking air into the hood from the tent and exhausting outside of the tent. It is definitely pushing out some HOT air; I noticed a pretty ganja smell coming out of the exhaust (since it's sucking air from inside the tent), that's not really helping out with my carbon scrubber. I need to unplug the light to fix it properly tho and I'm not even remotely close to my dark period. It'll be fine until tomorrow morning when I can get to it. Then the air going through the light hood won't even TOUCH the inside the of the tent. Should stop the smell problem and cool the light a lot better too. Especially with some cool brisk fall/winter air coming.

I'm considering switching the 1000w light from mH to HPS for the last remainder of the Auto Cheeses life. This is going to also affect the photo strains in the tent; but they are so tight and bushy, and I wouldn't mind attempting to scrog the photo's if at all humanly possible (for sake of never having tried it), so I'm thinking the HPS might cause some stretch on the bushy plants; which could possibly aid in the scrog method when it comes to filling out a screen? Is this flawed logic? Is flowering that Auto White Cheese with a mH going to reduce yield or any other factors of the bud?

Pictures:
All four plants (starting top left going clockwise, Critical Jack Herer (photo strain), Blue Widow (photo strain), Pineapple Express (photo strain), Auto White Cheese (auto strain.)

View attachment 135604

View attachment 135605

Here is the Auto White Cheese!

View attachment 135606

View attachment 135607

View attachment 135608

View attachment 135609

View attachment 135610

View attachment 135611

Critical Jack Herer:

View attachment 135612

View attachment 135613

Blue Widow:

View attachment 135615

View attachment 135614

View attachment 135616

Pineapple Express:

View attachment 135617

View attachment 135618

Alright Muddy, got a 3.8 cubic foot bale of Pro Mix BX coming, huge bag of Hoffman perlite (not miracle grow! In the description it says it's not supposed to affect pH), some bone meal, some blood meal, and 15 lb's of worm castings. And a brick of coco coir because I wanted to see what the heck it is and it was cheap. Think I can mix up something good for my next set of autos that will beat out the pre mix miracle grow?

You should be well set for your next grow. A mix of 5 parts Pro Mix, 1 part worm castings and 1 part perlite should do it. Certainly better than anything MG makes.

You should be about finished with your vertical growth. Soon as it's finished I would suggest your switch to the HPS light and to bloom nutes.

lovely looking plant vapor.

your set up sounds really good!.

wish i could upgrade to a tent.

Thanks herbaLexperience, I've sunk a pretty penny into some of this already but I look at it from a return on investment standpoint; I tallied up everything I spent on my first grow and off my 1st grow harvest (which was a very weak harvest, mind you), I still managed to recoop over half my costs just in what I would have paid for that leaf had I went out and bought it (and by recoop my costs; I mean, it was money I didn't have to spend on herb because I grew it myself.) I keep finding little nit picky things to buy (and those costs add up over time), but it's been a fun hobby for me and it's medicine for my Mrs.

Day 39 - I took the time to fix my ventilation up a little bit. I now have a direct 6" air intake leading from the outside of the tent (from the window) to the inside of the tent, attached directly to the 1000w light hood, and vented with 6" ducting with another fan outside of the tent. So now the only air exchange in the light hood is fresh air coming in from the outside and venting directly outside the tent (into the room, reason for doing this as it's getting cold out and the basement is not heated without supplemental heat. Will have heaters going when it consistently stays below freezing to help maintain temperature in the tent.) I also have the 6" carbon scrubber sitting vertically in the corner of the tent with a 240 CFM 6" inline pulling air up through it and venting out the top of the tent. Will replace that fan on Wednesday with the 400 CFM one.

Will monitor temps in the tent over the next few hours; curious to see how much different that light is going to be cool with a direct flow of cool air on it.

I decided to change out my mH bulb for the HPS bulb today. I'm still sticking with an 18/6 light period; but the Auto White Cheese is just flowering more and more every day and I want some HPS goodness to shine on 'er. The photo's are still vegging; I really want to veg them for another month still and start low stress training them to a screen. Not sure how much the HPS will affect the growth in veg; but here's to finding out :)

So right now I only have passive air intake in the tent; which is something I've never done before. I already don't like the sound of it. I have a 6" tee that I'm thinking of splicing in on the air intake for the light hood. So I would have the 6" duct from the window going into the tent; then in the tent attach the tee to the duct. On each opening on the tee; stick one 240 CFM inline fan on each and use the one side to blow the fresh air into the tent and the other side to blow fresh air through the light hood. We'll see what happens!

A lot of us have to make season adjustments to our ventilation systems. I've been fine tuning my outdoor grow box ever since I built it 2 years ago and finally think I've got it where I need it to be. You might want to consider putting a variable speed controller on your exhaust fan. I'm running LEDs, so have to supplement heat in the winter. I've installed variable speed controllers on my fans so I can slow them down in the winter and keep more heat in. I just installed an automatic variable speed controller in my outdoor box. It automatically speeds up or slows down to maintain the temperature I set it at. It's doing a great job, keeping my temperatures between 79 - 81 consistently, even as night time temperatures drop.

Has your vertical growth stopped yet? If not, I would keep them under the veg lights, and nutes, till it does.

Back