New Grower Vapor's 2nd Grow and the Tale of the Auto White Cheese (and a few photo strains)

Muddy - After installing the 6" carbon scrubber, the huge 6" 400 CFM fan, and my new array of ductwork and fans, I don't think I could fit more than 9 in there comfortably anyways. 16 square feet gets eaten up a lot faster than a guy would think it would. I'm going to shoot for 9 but I'll probably try to germ a few more than to be on the safe side of getting them all to pop. If it turns out I have more than 9, I'll find some tall or skinny pots to jury rig into the mix to get them some light, or I can always put them in 2 or 3 gallon pots and put them in on the 12/12 cycle I'm going to soon start my photo's on. Don't worry, I'll make every attempt to not go "oh gee I germinated 16 seeds after all wink wink nudge nudge!" ;)

On a side note; got my new stuff today! I've taken a few pics; I have to water tonight and I'll get pictures of the girls, they are pretty darn thirsty; I probably should have watered them yesterday. My new 6" Vortex 400 CFM fan is awesome! It puts out some air! I've got the 6" carbon scrubber standing vertically on the floor in the corner with the fan directly on top of it, pulling air up through the scrubber straight up through some flex duct out an opening at the top of the tent. Only one minor bend in the duct and it vents out into my laundry room. Smells clean as clean air can smell. Can REALLY tell a difference between 240 CFM and 400 CFM in the exhaust; it's not a steady breeze anymore, it's a BLAST of air. I also have dramatically increased the negative air pressure inside the tent. A lot. I mean, the whole tent SUCKS in a little bit around the side walls. This is great! That means I'm very efficiently drawing in the air from inside the tent through the carbon scrubber and blasting it out. I also modified my air intake for the tent. I moved my grow tent around a little in the room so that I could have more direct line ducts and less 45 and 90 degree twists and turn, which would reduce my 240 CFM fan efficiency. I have 6" flex duct coming in from the window to the inside of the tent, where it hits a 6" metal tee, with the two 6" holes on the tee going vertically in the tent and the one 6" hole facing to the right. On the tees right opening, it vents to a 6" 240 CFM inline fan that's blowing directly into the light hood, which is vented directly to another 6" 240 CFM inline fan and duct that leads it to the outside of the tent a few feet, where it blows really really warm air. The bottom hole of the tee is connected to another 6" 240 CFM inline that is blowing downwards, shooting fresh outside air into the grow room. So now I have source of fresh oxygen and cool air for inside the grow tent and cool air running to the light hood! I still have a Lasko tower fan blowing air on medium over the plants; but the oscillation isn't working :(

When we do laundry; the temps in the tent were spiking up and I didn't have any active airflow in there the past 3 days due to some different ductwork setup. My temps hit the dreaded 90 degree Fahrenheit point; and after installing the new 400 CFM fan and the fresh air intake; I'm immediately down to 82 degrees. I'm going to check it again in an hour or two; I'm really thinking this is going to solve my heat problem. Will wait and see!

Pictures on the way!

Sounds good! Lots of moving around can be exciting especially when it shows improvement. How quiet is your 400 CFM fan? I'm running 82 with lights on and have had little or no issues. You should be fine with your setup.

Day 41 - Auto White Cheese and 3 Photo Strains (PICTURES!)

Day 41 - Just fed the Auto White Cheese some water and nutes and just plain water and superthrive for the photo strains. I tied down a lot of the branches on the plant yesterday, and noticed several had bent back up towards the light.

Here are some pictures of the 6" carbon scrubber and new 6" 400 CFM inline fan.

View attachment 137084

View attachment 137088

Here is the tent setup on the inside:

View attachment 137085

View attachment 137086

Got my temps down to 79 degrees F! As you can see on the thermometer readout; it got pretty hot in there (I know when it happened too; got real warm the other day and two loads of laundry were done side by side, was a sauna down there.) I have on order two lengths of 4" dryer duct to vent it to the outside now; the dryer humidity and heat won't be as much of a problem.

View attachment 137090

Here are the girls! I switched them around a little in placement; thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to do a little rotating. From top left going clockwise, Blue Widow (photo), Critical Jack Herer (photo), Auto White Cheese (auto), Pineapple Express (photo.)

View attachment 137087

View attachment 137089

Now here is the Auto White Cheese! I tried doing some low stress training to it; but I noticed the stems started really bending back up towards the light as the hours went by. With the stems tied down, it opened up a lot of the buds to the light. Can't wait to see how this affects them over the next few weeks.

View attachment 137091

View attachment 137097

View attachment 137096

View attachment 137095

View attachment 137094

View attachment 137093

View attachment 137092

View attachment 137098

Springa, it's louder than the 240 CFM fan's for sure but it's honestly not that loud. I plugged it in right out of the box not attached to anything, just sitting on the cardboard, and it didn't shake, rattle, or roll. In fact, it sounded pretty slick on the ears. You know, fan bearings affect the decibels on fans quite a bit; I'm not sure what this new 400 CFM has on it; but it could have a better bearing than the 240 CFM, which is why it seems not much louder despite much higher CFM and RPM's. If I had to do it all again and start over with the inline's though, I think I would have just gotten 2 or 3 400 CFM fan's for this tent, the quality and air flow has already sold me on the superiority over the 240 CFM 'cans'.

Good to hear ( No pun )! Like the pics. Damn that Canister is huge! I'm gonna need one when my tent comes in. Plants look good. Nice job.

Looks like you're getting everything fine tuned nicely. Any way you can mount your fan and filter up above the lights? That would free up a bit of floor space and also help to remove some more heat from the top of the tent.

Plants are looking great!

Muddy - The fan/filter combo is WAY too heavy for the tent to support on it's own frame. The metal frame uses plastic connecting pieces and the cross bars that go across the top are also attached with thick plastic clips. They work fine for holding the weight of the light; but there's no way they could handle that 6" carbon scrubber. I'm also living in a family owned house; so I can't really make modifications to the structure as it's not my own. It'll just have to work for now; it's really only taking up one plant spot; I think I'll live :p I am going to get some of the ductwork off the floor though; I can push the 6" tee all the way up to the opening in the tent, which will keep all the other ductwork off the floor and out of the plants faces (I was smothering my Jack Herer with ductwork for a little while, she didn't like that.)

My bone meal, blood meal, coco coir, perlite, and worm castings are all here now. Just waiting on my bale of Pro Mix-BX to get here and I'll be set for growing medium on the next plant. My ONA mister and canister will be here tomorrow; but honestly with the new fan on the scrubber; it smells like a whole lot of NOTHIN' down there haha! Loving it; I hate being so paranoid but I just wanna cover my butt. Just check shipping on my seeds; they were officially 2 hours away as of yesterday! Let's see how fast the post system works now though; with my luck I won't see them until next week ;)

This setup only has to last me another 6 months or so tops; I've been working at building up my credit the past couple years and working with a loan officer; I just qualified for a home loan; so come next summer I'm seeking warmer climates and buying an acreage :) Pretty damn excited. Not going to lie.

I have a 5x5 tent and has the plastic corners, hanging the scrubber and filter can be done. Here is what I did for added supports.

My tent came with 3 roof supports to cross above top. I added another 4 more.

At hardware store they have the adjustable curtain rods. I then pulled them open and used them on top of the supports that tent came with. My ceiling looks like a checker pattern and where all x's meet I zip tied. These rods were $4.99 for 2 and helps my tent support and spots for mounting tremendously.

Pic two you can see better just wrap the L shaped leg around bar support extend to other side. I chose to put the curtain rods on top of the main support rods. After everything is tied together you would be surprised. I have 22inch filter 6in vortex, 2-600w, and 3 circ fans all hanging from ceiling and I feel I could add more safely. Easy, quick, and cheap fix.

They make them in two packs which is convenient for most tents.
24"-48, and 48" -84

http://www.lowes.com/pd_86612-73-24...=3126229&Ntt=curtain+rod&Ns=p_product_price|0

Hope this helps

I run a similar set-up in my tent...but..the can fan is outside the tent...in a large plastic box filled with insulation...the box has holes cut out for the fan inlet and outlet....the carbon filter is mounted on the exhaust side of the fan....fan sucks from the tent ,then blows hot stinky air through the carbon filter....this way the fan and filter sit on the floor outside the tent...nothing heavy hanging above the plants, or taking up space beside them...
this is the quietest set-up I have found too...

hereb4, only reason I don't run that way is because it's releasing all the hot air into the room with my tent. I tried venting into my 10x12 room. Might work for you Vapor though if not using passive intake, although I really like the idea of the fan in the insulated box hereb4

I have it running carbon to vortex thru my 2 air-cooled 600's out the tent and thru a Y going thru the ceiling. The carbon and my A/C both exhaust to attic, and my temps in my room are normal to whats in the house. If your in a smaller room with your tent I have found exhausting into the room will only recirculate the hot air thru the tent. As negative pressure from the fan will pick up the hot air and continue moving it in an out of tent. I also find venting out of the room creates more negative pressure, helps with cooling, and with the smell.

If you stand outside my room air is rushing into room under door. If i vented in room, seems to equalize and room and tent get hot quick.

Everyone's setup and environment is different there is no set way. I ran my tent for 7 days straight in about 15 different configurations until I found the sweet spot to controlling and then added my babies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back