Grow Mediums When do you start feeding nutes in Coco and how much?

Reaction score
Hey Fam

I recently started a 2x4 tent with 6 plants, I didn't fertigate for the first 8 days. 3 plants came out with major Cal-Mag issues that they have not ever fully recovered from. Massively stunted growth.

Questions:
Coco has no nutrient properties at all, when do you start fertigation?
What EC level should you aim for with General Hydroponics?

Im about to start my second tent so want to get the Seedling stage right this time.

as soon as the first set of leaves (round ones) have fully formed, they will need nutrients for further growth. start with 1/8 to 1/4 strength, using a feeding program for coco that is complete and balanced. also keep your water ph'd in the right zone. a tablespoon or two per gallon of garden-grade (no perfumes) epsom salts can really help.

as soon as the first set of leaves (round ones) have fully formed, they will need nutrients for further growth. start with 1/8 to 1/4 strength, using a feeding program for coco that is complete and balanced. also keep your water ph'd in the right zone. a tablespoon or two per gallon of garden-grade (no perfumes) epsom salts can really help.

Rockstar information. Thank you

I been putting calmag in my final rinse through the coco before planting and then as the fellas above have said

i feed mine from the very beginning with a little calmag and whatever grow newts you're using at a very mild strength say an ec of around 0.7 and after a week or so i up that to 1.0 maybe 1.2 but my tap water is a .0.2 ec so not far off ro water luckily. my best advice from start to finish low is always better than to much feed

Hey Fam

I recently started a 2x4 tent with 6 plants, I didn't fertigate for the first 8 days. 3 plants came out with major Cal-Mag issues that they have not ever fully recovered from. Massively stunted growth.

Questions:
Coco has no nutrient properties at all, when do you start fertigation?
What EC level should you aim for with General Hydroponics?

Im about to start my second tent so want to get the Seedling stage right this time.
DAY 1. You dont have to, but I do. You must use extra calmag with coco. I heard that cobs also require more calmag, but not sure if it's true. A seed has around 10-14 days of "food" already in the shell to sustain it till it can started. Kinda like a chicken egg, the chick(egg whites) lives off the yoke in the egg. If you start feeding at day 1 go easy. Usually just calmag and something for root growth. Then after a few days a week, how she is going will determine how soon I start little feed and go from there. Either way is fine, but the sooner you start the sooner she will respond.

Precharge with cal/mag, feed from the start, never water only...feed often, NEVER let coco dry out. Eye on pH and ppm.

Coco is pretty easy to get dialed.

DAY 1. You dont have to, but I do. You must use extra calmag with coco. I heard that cobs also require more calmag, but not sure if it's true. A seed has around 10-14 days of "food" already in the shell to sustain it till it can started. Kinda like a chicken egg, the chick(egg whites) lives off the yoke in the egg. If you start feeding at day 1 go easy. Usually just calmag and something for root growth. Then after a few days a week, how she is going will determine how soon I start little feed and go from there. Either way is fine, but the sooner you start the sooner she will respond.

I start Day 1. 200 ppm for the opening week

Precharge with cal/mag, feed from the start, never water only...feed often, NEVER let coco dry out. Eye on pH and ppm.

Coco is pretty easy to get dialed.

Most guides recommend letting coco dry a bit during the first week...do you follow this? Do you begin your seeds in coco? Any input is deeply appreciated.

I ask this because I've had bad luck germinating in coco (so I mostly germinate in peat then transplant to coco) and I'm currently re-reading everything to give starting in coco another go. I can't remember well, but thinking back i guess my mistake has been keeping the coco too wet during the first week. I have a seed already soaking and since it's an auto strain and I actually suck at transplanting, I want to put it directly into coco but not sure how wet to keep the coco during the first week. I already prepared my coco (rinsed, befffered, EC lowered for seedlings), and added some perlite to it. Again, I'd appreciate some tips.

Last edited:
Back